In praise of the Mandler lenses

adan

I have a 90mm M Summicron from the Leitz Canada facillity (which replaced an earlier Wetzlar design). The Elcan lens took forever to get (it was almost a year after it's initial scheduled ship date - and I got one of the first four shipped to the USA!).

However, the performance of this new (pre APO) 90mm Summicron was awesome. It may not be an APO design, but it sure comes close. One of the shots from my first roll of film with this lens was of a walrus "on stage" at Sea World. The animal seems to leap off the print, even though the background is not particularly contrasty relative to the walrus.

• 2 weeks later...
Great thread. I really like the way Adan used example photos to highlight the specific merits of different Mandler designed lens.

Could the moderator consider classifying this thread so that we can discuss not only the efforts of Mr Mandler, but those of Mr Berek, Mr Kölsch and Mr Schröder in shaping the Leica lens philosophy and direction.

Agreed, on all points! :)

Great thread. I really like the way Adan used example photos to highlight the specific merits of different Mandler designed lens.

Could the moderator consider classifying this thread so that we can discuss not only the efforts of Mr Mandler, but those of Mr Berek, Mr Kölsch and Mr Schröder in shaping the Leica lens philosophy and direction.

I'm curious: how could a mod "recategorize" this thread without changing the thread's focus entirely?

If you'd like to start a different thread, like "In praise of Leica lens designers" then you should just go ahead! Or you could just discuss the other designers as compared with Mandler :)

Back to the Mandler designs--I just re-acquired a 75 Lux after I sold mine. Yes, it was a dumb thing to sell. Yes, it cost me more money than I made on the sale. No, I don't regret it at all :)

• Like 4

Jamie, I love your site, the music sizzles, and the photos are so good.

I have the 75 Lux and I think it is Mandler's best. I think that it is to Leica what the 85/1.2 is to Canon... just better. I know you know all of this and more and I'm not telling you anything you don't know but, the that 75 Lux must be one of the best wedding lenses when a photographer takes the time to master it.

Glad you got one back in your arsenal. And, thanks for hanging around here.

Rick

• Like 1

Jamie, I love your site, the music sizzles, and the photos are so good.

I have the 75 Lux and I think it is Mandler's best. I think that it is to Leica what the 85/1.2 is to Canon... just better. I know you know all of this and more and I'm not telling you anything you don't know but, the that 75 Lux must be one of the best wedding lenses when a photographer takes the time to master it.

Glad you got one back in your arsenal. And, thanks for hanging around here.

Rick

Hey Rick--thanks so much for your very kind words on my work! My site is due for replacement actually--I've been working on so much lately that it's been tough to get done but it's nearly there :) As for the music, I'm lucky to have the rights to it for my site through Triple Scoop Music, so while there's other music I'd like to showcase as well at least those (great songs) are there legally :)

Anyway, I'm with you on the 75 Lux. I actually thought I could live with just the Nocti 1.0 (another great Mandler design) and the 80 R Lux (first cousin to the 75 M) but I just missed the look of the 75 too much!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Since R lenses can now be used on the Leica M it's time for this wonderful thread to bubble back to the surface I think! Thanks to Andy for his excellent reviews and to others for their wisdom.

I very much enjoy the performance of the 80/1.4 Summilux-R on the Leica M (a recent example below).

Pete.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 13

you guys are making me hanker after a 75 lux.....

I need to save for an M9-P !

Well I have both now and saving for a MM. Even more reson to celebrate the Mandler era with the advent of higher resolution sensors and the wonderful graduation between in and out of focus with older pre ASPH glass. I used my 75 Summilux and M9-P today !

Loving this thread. I'm quite a fan of the 90mm Tele-Elmarit "fat" version, and would like to speak up on its behalf. It often seems to get knocked as inferior. It can definitely produce a bit of 'glow' at the edges, but the effect is not without its charm. Also, the lens is tiny, relatively cheap, and built like a tank. I have a 1969 copy, and I think it's great.

Here's a shot I took recently, from the crowd, of my favourite band, The Fall. M Monochrom with the Tele-Elmarit "fat", wide open at f2.8, and no hood. I think it gives a lovely range of tone and detail.

Cheers all,

Colin

• Like 18

• 4 weeks later...

maybe this link will help. i refer to it when i'm curious about which lenses were designed by dr. mandler.

leica.overgaard.dk - Thorsten Overgaard's Leica Pages - Leitz and Leica Lens Compendium

i've seen another list (maybe by puts, where the lenses were listed by designer AND where they were produced, but can't find it right now.

cheers

rick

Having finally managed to get hold of a 35mm pre-aspheric Summilux (again!) at a not too awful price I have re-read the paper by Jonas and Thorpe about Mandler's designs and thought it worth quoting a very small part of the section on 're-optimising the Summilux 35mm f/1.4'

"..... designed in 1958 ..... we thought it would be interesting to take a second look at the design. ..... [and, having done so] this simple double Gauss form cannot give improved performance given the field and aperture constraints even with additional glass choices."

That's a fair accolade I would say. And despite its known optical failings, I would say that this fast, little lens is by no means a poor performer, even by today's standards.

I bought a "thin" Leitz 90/2.8 tele-elmarit from eBay for USD 456. The lens had fogging inside the front element, but rear element was clear. I took it to Hong Kong where, master Leica technician, "Uncle Tat" (Panda Camera) did a CLA for USD 55 (in only 48 hours). Bought a Heavystar replacement hood for USD 30.

The lens now looks and feels almost brand new. Here are a couple examples wide-open from Hong Kong (last week):

1. I snuck in 4 frames whilst students of a Hong Kong wedding photography course were between sessions. The models were relaxed and preparing for the next series of shots. ISO 320, f/2.8, 1/180:

L1002335-Edit-L.jpg

Smugmug here

2. Inside one of Hong Kong's Buddhist temples. Very dark (many areas were candle-lit). ISO 3200, f/2.8, 1/125:

L1002223-Edit-L.jpg

Smugmug here

3. Another shot of a friend (who is drooling for a Leica). Just to demonstrate what a 40 year-old lens can do today (pre CLA). He's saving-up for an M. Shot at f/4:

L1001819-Edit-L.jpg

Smugmug here

Edited by fahadm
typos
  • Like 11

• 1 year later...

Thank you Andy for this wonderfull survey. I just discovered this thread and am

considering the Elmarit 28 III for my lens line up. What a wonderfull lens.

I'm Leica user since 1980, sold my R gear including crons 35/50/90 last year and now

completing my M lenses. Have the old Summilux 35 (1973) and 50 (1968) and they both perform well on the Leica T. Completed the range with the Super Elmar 21 and APO Summicron 90mm.

Love the light handling and colour rendering.

Thanks a lot.

Dre.