A new rangefinder camera

Ronazle

Advertisement (gone after registration)

All things considered I like my M8; however, speed of service and reliability are real problems. Cost of Leica service and, if I believe other's experiences, a variable quality of Leica service are becoming problematical (lets see someone convert problematical to a single "issue"-based word). Does anyone know of a quality, other brand, M mount rangefinder camera in the works? Maybe if we all write Zeiss they will consider taking over the name and marketing of an enhanced RD-1. The competition might cause Leica to improve service and its cost.

If the USA constitutes a major portion of the M8 and Leica market, it does seem to make some sense to upgrade Leica USA to provide a greater range of service without having to send almost everything sophisticated to Europe.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have had no problems with Leica NJ service, either quality or time to return. As to the reliability of my M8, it is every bit as reliable as my other Leica cameras have been. Zero problems here, it will be one year old at the end of this week.

Gene

Are you kidding! Do you even read any of the posts on this forum. IMHO the M8 is a breakthrough camera..offering unique and high value capabilities. Initial reliabilty is awful ...don t know any M8 s that either haven t been to Solms or should be. With that said once the initial problems/adjustments are made ..at least for me it has been highly reliable. Even with the inherent limitations in a mechanical rangefinder you can given time learn to get great results. Service is by far the largest issue with the M8 system. :eek:

Advertisement (gone after registration)

don t know any M8 s that either haven t been to Solms or should be

Well, mine hasn't been back and I see no reason to think that it will need to be sent there in the future. Bought mine in Jan 2007. Getting on for 12,000 frames, best camera I've ever owned.

Maybe if we all write Zeiss they will consider taking over the name and marketing of an enhanced RD-1. The competition might cause Leica to improve service and its cost.

Hmmmm,

I don't mean to be rude, but this is fairy tails. Developing a camera on par with the M8 is a multi-million euro project. And a hundred cries in the dark will not make us a competitor to the M8.

The red youth in Finland is trying similar action with our government, but it's not working either :D

I for one don't need a competitor to the M8. Just look at the RD-1. A near perfect camera. I still wonder the images it gave me, and almost no-one bought it. The reason? It was not a Leica...

And compared to the RD-1 the M8 is a better camera. It's a Leica.

I'm with Steve. Got my M8 at the beginning of April last year and it has worked flawlessly ever since (I am frantically knocking on wood as I write this :D ). So far, no problems. I knew about the filters before I even bought it, so that isn't an issue.

I'm with Steve. Got my M8 at the beginning of April last year and it has worked flawlessly ever since (I am frantically knocking on wood as I write this :D ). So far, no problems. I knew about the filters before I even bought it, so that isn't an issue.

And I'm going to add that mine has worked flawlessly since august the 13th 2007. I'm not a professional user, and mine has seen around 2000 shots sofar. I'm a happy camper. No problems to date. I have enough confidence in the M8, that I'm not going to bring another camera along on my next trip. (I take most of my pics on trips/holidays)

Well, mine hasn't been back and I see no reason to think that it will need to be sent there in the future. Bought mine in Jan 2007. Getting on for 12,000 frames, best camera I've ever owned.
Good for you.... doesn t change my experience or what I know. Are you stating that in your opinion service isn t an issue? You may have had excellent luck with your M8 but there must be several hundred posts on service issues. Even if you feel that every lens over a few years old justifies a CLA ....do you think that it should take 4-6 months and many times multiple trips.

Roger, as an individual experience mine is no more valuable than yours. However if most M8s required return to Solms then Leica as a company would be dead by now. They'd be losing money on every camera, I don't believe that to be the case. If you've had problems with your camera then I'm sorry for you, but I don't believe that your experience is typical. We've been having similar discussions for the last 15 months or so. Leica are still in business.

Hmmm, first one many issues right out of the box. Replacement had to take an eight week trip to Solms to correct some sticky framelines it developed. Though 12,000 shots in 9 months and it runs fine except for an occasional need to reboot and missed write. And Leica put a 24 mount on my 28 when sent for coding (after 8 weeks).

I'm so happy for all of you who have had no problems. Really I am. I wish it could have been that way for me - would have saved a lot of hair wringing and having to use my M7 or D200 on shoots meant for the M8. Leica hasn't been so stellar in my book this past year and I'm a long time user. More and more though I'm grooving on the M8. Just not Leica the company.

if I believe other's experiences, a variable quality of Leica service.

All Steve was saying was that he had no bad experiences of Leica service because his camera hasn't been back.

Neither has mine.

That said, i'm beginning to think there should be something wrong with it judging by all the posts I've read. It's a better camera than I am photographer so I'll keep hold of it until that changes.

All Steve was saying was that he had no bad experiences of Leica service because his camera hasn't been back.

Neither has mine.

That said, i'm beginning to think there should be something wrong with it judging by all the posts I've read. It's a better camera than I am photographer so I'll keep hold of it until that changes.

I wish I could agree with you but I believe it begs the question....are problems with the M8s unusual ? It only happens to a small number of cameras? Like I said when I talk with an M8 user for more than 10 minutes....I learn that most have had to send there cameras in. Now clearly there is a big difference from the initial recalls and the need to have the rangefinder adjusted . If the service is handled on a timely basis and is done correctly ..it is quickly forgotten. I also know that minor adjustments like for example a verticle rangefinder adjustment are often put off. But skip beyond that ..you are right you have to really use service for something difficult ..like calibrating a Noctilux ..to understand the issues people are complaining about. The camera itself when everything is calibrated is the best I have used ..likewise I have about 12K images across 2 bodies. I use my 2 M8s everyday and won t trade them for any other system. Its just a difficult to let things go when the implication is that the camera and lenses are essentially problem free and service when needed is great.

well i second that "turn around time for reapairs is a big concern" bit. i adore my m8 and so far it is working like it should... however my leicausa experience was miserable. i went 1.5 months without a camera (that shot about 6 frames before it was sent off). that just doesn't cut it for me no matter who were talking about here... if a reasonable reapair cost and reasonable return time could be insured then i believe m8 could prove to be a real prospect for the working joe's (and jane's).

i just signed on the ole dotted line for a 1650 sq foot studio with the m8 to be the star performer... i really want for it to be "up to the task" but i reckon time will tell.

Hmmmm,

I for one don't need a competitor to the M8. Just look at the RD-1. A near perfect camera. I still wonder the images it gave me, and almost no-one bought it. The reason? It was not a Leica...

They sold a decent amount of R-D1 cameras given the total production. But Epson provided amazingly little marketing for the camera and then only tepid support and those things may well have had more of an effect on sales than brand perceptions. I was in regular contact with Epson during the first years that the R-D1 was sold.

Cheers,

Sean

Competition as always a good thing. I shoot canons for my pro sports and concert work Very happy to see the nikon d3. I too would love to see a zeiss or nikon rangefinder. Can anyone really think the m8 is as good as it gets. Lower light noise at 1250 on up and audible noise and 1800 bucks for a lower noise camera after 4800 or more well you all know my feelings about this. Competition will make Leica work harder and hopefully lower prices and get there service act together. David