Confused about new upgrade purchase

carylwithay

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Does purchasing this new upgrade for $1800 buy us the privilege of BUYING further upgrades? or are all other upgrades free after this payment? Neither choice seems quite right. Does anyone know? Certainly getting a quieter shutter and a new glass are not major improvements.

Caryl

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Paying the $1800 pays for the new LCD screen, the new shutter, and extends your warranty by 2 years.

You don't have to do the screen/shutter upgrade to participate in future upgrade offerings, as I understand it. So, if they came out with a 15MP sensor, for example, you could go for it without a new LCD screen or shutter.

One thing for sure--nothing is free--you're not paying $1800 once to be entitled to endless upgrades.

I believe what Leica is doing is great!

The Sapphire screen adds to the "high-end" feel, just as a Vertu mobile phones uses Sapphire glas.

Shutter uppgrade/downgrade depending on how you look at it is also pretty good.

The best thing is the extended warranty. If your 2,5 year old M8 would fry its chips or CCD sensor, how far do you think 1200 euro would get you? In my opinion the 2 year extended warranty is worth atleast 600 euros on its own.

Paying the $1800 pays for the new LCD screen, the new shutter, and extends your warranty by 2 years.

You don't have to do the screen/shutter upgrade to participate in future upgrade offerings, as I understand it. So, if they came out with a 15MP sensor, for example, you could go for it without a new LCD screen or shutter.

One thing for sure--nothing is free--you're not paying $1800 once to be entitled to endless upgrades.

Sorry that is not the case. The new 2 year warranty that comes with the upgrade voids your original warranty, it does "NOT" EXTEND it. So if you bought a new M8 tomorrow, Febuary 7 2008, and sent it in for the upgrade in August of this year you would only have a warranty until August of 2010, NOT Febuary 2012, which is what should happen. Your original 2 warranty, which is part of the price you pay for the M8, is cancelled. Totally BOGUS on Leica's part.

Sorry that is not the case. The new 2 year warranty that comes with the upgrade voids your original warranty, it does "NOT" EXTEND it. So if you bought a new M8 tomorrow, Febuary 7 2008, and sent it in for the upgrade in August of this year you would only have a warranty until August of 2010, NOT Febuary 2012, which is what should happen. Your original 2 warranty, which is part of the price you pay for the M8, is cancelled. Totally BOGUS on Leica's part.

Yeah, but getting the uppgrade the day after, or even 6months after you initially got your M8 is just stupid. (IMHO)

I got my M8 August 13th 2007. I won't upgrade it whatever the upgrade of the near future will hold until it's altleast 1,5 years old. Thus getting a 3,5 year warranty.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yeah, but getting the uppgrade the day after, or even 6months after you initially got your M8 is just stupid. (IMHO)

I got my M8 August 13th 2007. I won't upgrade it whatever the upgrade of the near future will hold until it's altleast 1,5 years old. Thus getting a 3,5 year warranty.

Right neither will I. But Leica should ADD ON 2 years to the original warranty period or 2 years from the day of the upgrade if the upgrade is done after the original warranty has run out.

What they're doing is really against all logic. Part of the original cost of the M8 is for the 2 year warranty. Now they want users to pay again for part of the time the original warranty covered.

I know Leica users aren't the smartest people on the planet but Leica must really think we are DUMB. And to top it off they want us to PRE-PAY for the upgrade.

I would like a quieter shutter and a harder LCD cover but not at the real price they are asking for it.

I might send in my black M8 sometime around June of 2009 and only then IF they only have the one upgrade with the 2 year warranty. But if they come out with another upgrade by then and still only offer a 2 year warranty if you do both upgrades I'll pass on that also.

Each upgrade should EXTEND the original warranty by a period of 2 years.

Guest Panosfotografia.com
Right neither will I. But Leica should ADD ON 2 years to the original warranty period or 2 years from the day of the upgrade if the upgrade is done after the original warranty has run out.

What they're doing is really against all logic. Part of the original cost of the M8 is for the 2 year warranty. Now they want users to pay again for part of the time the original warranty covered.

I know Leica users aren't the smartest people on the planet but Leica must really think we are DUMB. And to top it off they want us to PRE-PAY for the upgrade.

I would like a quieter shutter and a harder LCD cover but not at the real price they are asking for it.

I might send in my black M8 sometime around June of 2009 and only then IF they only have the one upgrade with the 2 year warranty. But if they come out with another upgrade by then and still only offer a 2 year warranty if you do both upgrades I'll pass on that also.

Each upgrade should EXTEND the original warranty by a period of 2 years.

well said... very well said!!!

Leica should let repair places have the new shutter, dag, sherry krauter whoever. We could get the camera back in a reasonable amount of time . No extended warranties the cost will go way down. After all this is the shutter it should have come with. David

Another thread along the lines of "I want a pony" :p

Followed by "I know better than they do how to run an company and I'll explain it right here, right now".

Somehow, the combination of the two themes does not seem quite right: can a 7 years old girl dreaming of a pony really know something about the way to run a company ?

The warranty isn't the only thing you're paying twice for. You've already paid for a fully functioning shutter. If you "upgrade", you'll being buying another one. That may be acceptable if you've had some use out of it but the new M8 buyer who prefers the quieter shutter will also have to buy the noisier one first, ending up with one shutter for the price of two.

It seems to me that you existing M8 users are being looked after as well as can be expected by the upgrade programme but the new buyer gets a decidedly raw deal.

I hope that the upgrade offer will eventually run in tandem with an ordering system that allows new buyers to specify which variant of a basic model they want. Nothing new in that for Leica and it would encourage new buyers to feel that they were being treated fairly.

Surely it is only fair and reasonable that new warrantee comes into effect directly after they do the upgrade work? You cant expect the new warrantee to come into effect when your original warantee has expired - say 1 year after the have done the upgrade work.

If you are trying to be reasonable like this, prepare yourself to take some heat. This is not the spirit of this thread :cool:

I think £900 in 'real' money is a fair price - it may seem a lot if your currency has devalued. Let us not forget that Leica is the only company to upgrade an existing camera. If you buy Canon or Nikon your gear goes out of date in the blink of an eye - I am pleased that I made the right choice to buy something which is future proofed.

Surely it is only fair and reasonable that new warrantee comes into effect directly after they do the upgrade work? You cant expect the new warrantee to come into effect when your original warantee has expired - say 1 year after the have done the upgrade work.

Jeff

Just what is reasonable about paying for a warranty and then having it cancelled before it's time? I don't see that as reasonable.

I still have just under one year left on one M8 and 1 year and 3 months left on another.

Now if I do the upgrade I lose the 11 months and 15 months, respectively, of warranty that I have alrewady paid for.

I stand with my original thoughts and think my thoughts are completely reasonable.

Right I don't have to do the upgrade and I won't until the original warranty is almost run out.