Perfect marketing insight

Guest Robert Belasario

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I shall very much look forward to meeting you, in order that you can reassure yourself that I am indeed as reprehensible in person as you clearly think I am.

Regards,

Bill

Your thinly-veiled threat is most conclusively reassuring.

I wish more people around here would make generous use of their ignore lists, without getting into arguments first. It is clearly the case that there are enough fools to sink the boat, and the noise around here has gone up a lot lately.

Guys, you do what you want but this is just another troll with no life, no friends, almost no brain trying to find an audience for its 2 cents jokes.

Rather presumptive of you isn't it mate, considering we've never met. I could as well say that yours is a textbook example of someone projecting his feelings of impotence and inadequacy, but I'll leave that to a paid psychiatrist. Surely with all your Leicas you can afford a half hour on the couch.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

There will be three upgrades before introduction of the FF M9

- first this minor 1.800$ one

- Second will be another (minor) upgrade say 1.800$ too

- Third will be an upgrade to a FF sensor at a cost of appr. 3.950€

All with guarantee extension etc.

This will bring your FF m8 to a total of some 12.000$

6 months later the FF M9 will be introduced at 10.990$

80% of the upgraders (the people with more money than common sense) will immediately order the M9 of which 60% will place their upgraded M8’s on the market at good prices. 50% of these will be bought by current non leica users, the other 50 % by non-upgrade leica users whom in return will put their Non-upgraded M8’s on the market, which will be bought by 50% of non leica users … etc. etc.

Leica AG will have made money on the upgrade crowd, the new purchase M9 crowd (which they would of done anyway) but also increased the installed base of Leica M digital cameras, and all this at minimal expense (again with thanks to the more money than common sense followers)

Being a public company they will argue that the profits might not seem high but the installed base of Leica cameras is rapidly growing (procentually) and therefore the justification of their business model is actually solid (which it might well be, no arguing here)

Now I’m not trying to forecast the future here, the timing will probably be way off as will the number of upgrades, just trying to explain how marketing strategies work, and how Leica has now introduced a very profitable one, and only because they know their client base (more money than …. You know the rap)

All in all a very nice strategy, thought out well and guaranteed to work… because of the more money…. etc

wouldn't we all wish for such a customer base.....

These are some wild speculations based on three totally wrong assumptions:

1)

That is it is possible to install a Full Frame Sensor in a M8.

2)

That a future M9 - within 4 - 5 years or so will have a Full Frame. Indeed, it just might be a wrong assumption that it ever will be a Full Frame silicon sensor for a rangefinder camera.

3)

That 'people with more money than common sense' is a large segment in any population. So large that it would be a serious segment for Leica AG to put their money on. I could run through a long range of arguments for you that this assumption is way off the mark and that it is good reason to believe that 'people with money' do indeed have more 'common sense' than people without. But that would be far outside the topics of this list.

What we see is a small European camera producer, - soon it just might be the only one left in Europe, struggling to survive. This small camera producer is the core of a excellent camera system - to make a long story very short, that just might die along with the core producer; Leica. The question is; what do we do about it? What can we do about it?

I won't argue with your point 3), but points 1) and 2) are not wrong, but unknown at this time. I think they are likely, but that is my personal opinion.

I don't see Leica struggling. Their numbers are back in the black, and the M8 sales have been terrific, all documented in their numbers. They do need to find the right strategy to keep going, since the year the M8 comes out is clearly going to be better than the next few years, but I think they will find a way. Lens sales alone will help, and there is also the R10 coming up. Even the small digital cameras (other than the Digilux 3, I think) are doing well.

Whether we like it or not, the small digitals are here to stay, and are an important entry point for a whole demographic. I would wager that within 12 to 18 months we may see a "Leica" cameraphone, no doubt released to the sound of wailing and gnashing of teeth from the more die-hard of our number.

Regards,

Bill

Guest Robert Belasario

Must answer to this…..

Stnami wrote “Two underground people gone in one thread. either they are part of the feeble gene pool or you guys are getting good”

We might both be part of a “gene-pool” as you put it, but I would reserve the term “feeble” to other gene-pools within this forum. And yes all the guys here are getting good at “exterminating” criticasters and Leica users not fitting into their world of thought.

I’m not an historian but I do believe in the not so distant past they had a name for these sort of groups/people ….. thank god this is just a camera forum,

Ecaton wrote “Two or one? They registered the same day, had the same number of posts, trolled only in one thread. Doesn't look like a coincidence to me.”

We are not one, I can guarantee you that, the fact that we “troll” in the same place might have something to do with the fact that we both own the product for which this forum was created, it would be pretty useless having an M8 and posting on the analog forum wouldn’t you agree?

The fact that 2 people register on the same day and have a problem and/or remark on the same subject….

As for the post of the French guy;

“Guys, you do what you want but this is just another troll with no life, no friends, almost no brain trying to find an audience for its 2 cents jokes.”

Well I find the fact that moderators allow these comment quite appalling, but that said it says enough about the moderation quality here.

It seems that members of the “club” are allowed to “hack-in” on criticasters beyond all reasons of respect, and even get “high-fived” for their actions. Call anybody illiterate and you’ve gained your daily portion of brownie points.

Nahh Robert, you will not last the distance at this rate, too much gusto and you have opened yourself up like a tin of sardines,.............. troll in moderation, Ford Fenders are not as good as Cow Bells, unfortunately both are too flashy....you should have started with a 1/8th Jensen insect.

...all the guys here are getting good at “exterminating” criticasters and Leica users not fitting into their world of thought. I’m not an historian but I do believe in the not so distant past they had a name for these sort of groups/people …

You should be ashamed to tell things like that in this forum. We've met great trolls here, Phil Kneen, Fly Guy, Helios and so on but none of them would have said ugly things like that if memory serves me well.

“Guys, you do what you want but this is just another troll with no life, no friends, almost no brain trying to find an audience for its 2 cents jokes.”

Well I find the fact that moderators allow these comment quite appalling, but that said it says enough about the moderation quality here.

If you have a problem with the Moderation here, please take this up with the Admin

He can be PM'd using the name "admin"

Thank you.