Full Frame Is Here !!!!!!

Guest stnami

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Two other things come to mind - as LCT mentions, new viewfinder magnification/frames are required. Maybe this is the upgrade which will fix the frameline accuracy...

Second, if they can't solve the IR sensistivity issue (would they issue another camera which still required IR filters?) the red vignetting is going to be more severe for a given wide angle lens and the cyan more difficult to fix.

Still, I'm convinced it's the right thing to do, even if the camera does weigh a little more - it's still lighter than an M7. I do think it will need to get a bit taller though.

Interesting to think too about the R10 in this context - likely the two projects are running in parallel and sharing parts and especially software. In the light of what Stephen Lee is saying, I can't see how the R10 can be anything but full frame and even if the FF M is not launched at Photokina, the R10 specs will likely give us some pointers.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mark,

As one of the naysayer's, surprisingly, I hope you've been out in your garden with a bunch of twigs for a self flagellation session in penance:D

Seriously, some good analysis of the prospects there, welcome aboard:)

Steve

I might have a slight credibility issue with AP's journalistic interpretation.

Angela Nicholson is their reviewer who insisted on rating the Olympus E-3 against the D3 and 1DmkIII - as Olympus classes it as professional.

It's clear to everyone that the E-3 in the D300/A700/D40/D5/S5pro circa £1000 semi-pro class.

Mark,

As one of the naysayer's, surprisingly, I hope you've been out in your garden with a bunch of twigs for a self flagellation session in penance:D

Seriously, some good analysis of the prospects there, welcome aboard:)

Steve

Steve, yes I'm in penance and probably in penury too if I have all three of my M8s upgraded, though I probably would not upgrade the one I dismantled.

My position was always that the stated upgrade didn't go far enough and Leica should have waited to be able to do more. FF in my book counts as "doing more" but I don't see the point of the shutter upgrade as a separate exercise if, in reasonably short order, the FF upgrade is available as well.

That said, I am wondering just how much of the current camera would remain unaffected by a FF upgrade...

Guest guy_mancuso

Just got word that 25 percent of our questions are already answered and the rest are in the works. Leaving for Vegas now will have more info later folks. I will have to really find out now if the new shutter is required for the FF sensor but the good news is even if they took the existing sensor and made it bigger that looks to me like 16 or 18 mpx. But i am sure it will be a new sensor most likely from Kodak. I would suspect Kodak here folks so i would look and see what they have and than do the math and we maybe close. I know Kodak has a new sensor going. May want to look there first. Have fun and be calm your beating hearts. LOL

BTW a new FF sensor than they have to address new frame lines

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Steve, yes I'm in penance and probably in penury too if I have all three of my M8s upgraded, though I probably would not upgrade the one I dismantled.

My position was always that the stated upgrade didn't go far enough and Leica should have waited to be able to do more. FF in my book counts as "doing more" but I don't see the point of the shutter upgrade as a separate exercise if, in reasonably short order, the FF upgrade is available as well.

That said, I am wondering just how much of the current camera would remain unaffected by a FF upgrade...

Mark,

I take your point about just how extensive a full-frame upgrade would need to be. Interesting times ahead, let's hope we hear more details soon concerning the longer term upgrade road map and how Leica plan to implement it.

Steve

Please see below what I think are some of the threads coming up throughout the rest of the year... It's all fun, folks... no hate mail, please :cool:

-March, 2008

1-Leica upgrade website available etc etc.

Photokina - Leica announces something...

1-That's it? This is bulls**t

... and it goes on and on..

Riccis!

Please carefully guard your email so we can have it validated in September. ROFL already:D

I'm happy with what I have too, BUT if an FF upgrade became an option, without a change in size to the camera body AND if Leica did an all-in-one upgrade of shutter/FF that was perhaps better value for money than the shutter only upgrade, I would take it seriously. Leica's uprade policy is starting to look more interesting though.

I just woke up and saw the headline. My 1st thoughts were time to make some popcorn, this thread is going to be entertaining!

So any timeframe for this FF upgrade is just pure speculation at this point, correct? Don't think I need to ask, but I'm sure you are going to add a question about WHEN to your list of questions, Guy? Right?

I second Tim Ashley's comments. I'm a pretty happy camper with what I've got right now. The future will take care of itself. I prefer to live in the now :D

And I'll third them, Last year, today and in a years time my M8 will be no different, it'll still take fantastic images. The rest of you (no disrespect) can all jump aboard the upgrade express to full frame, 20mp and what ever. Drop a load of cash upgrading or perhaps just a little more for a NIB M full frame. Then you can all begin re adjusting your lens selection to match the new format and there after change your other body so as it's also FF

Wonderful revenue stream for Leica, upgrades, new cameras, more new lenses. All I'm thinking is you must all be generating such fantastic earnings from your equipment and have such demanding clients that make this all seem so worthwhile. More power to you all.

:)

Just got word that 25 percent of our questions are already answered and the rest are in the works. Leaving for Vegas now will have more info later folks. I will have to really find out now if the new shutter is required for the FF sensor but the good news is even if they took the existing sensor and made it bigger that looks to me like 16 or 18 mpx. But i am sure it will be a new sensor most likely from Kodak. I would suspect Kodak here folks so i would look and see what they have and than do the math and we maybe close. I know Kodak has a new sensor going. May want to look there first. Have fun and be calm your beating hearts. LOL

BTW a new FF sensor than they have to address new frame lines

Leica is offering upgrade No. 1 (shutter/sapphire glass) aware they will be bringing out a ff sensor. I would imagine that they would not do so, unless the new shutter were necessary for the latter.

If the new shutter is not absolutely necessary, it indicates to me that they will bring out an M9 with a modified body/viewfinder, battery etc., or alternatively there is something wrong with the present shutter.

Bye the way, there is a rumor circulating here that the new sensor is a Sony product with over 20 million pixels. I can hardly believe this but it goes to show the extent of speculation which is rife at this moment.

In any case, I am very satisfied with my 2 M8's as they are after the latest firmware updates and will surely wait and see what is really announced or shown at the Photokina,

Teddy

z2.jpg

Imants--where do you find this simultaneously creepy and funny stuff? That's a serious question, by the way :)

@ Eoin--as for FF, it actually solves the lens selection problem, since my 24 will once again be a 21 Elmarit will once again be a 21 and not a 28 :) To my mind, it really helps the "where is the fast wide glass" problem on the M8...

I don't know about anyone else, but I've always selected the glass for its full-frame capability, since it was to me techincally inevitable that someday there would be a FF sensor (not necessarily an M8--that to me is great news!).

@ Eoin--as for FF, it actually solves the lens selection problem, since my 24 will once again be a 21 Elmarit will once again be a 21 and not a 28 :) To my mind, it really helps the "where is the fast wide glass" problem on the M8...

I don't know about anyone else, but I've always selected the glass for its full-frame capability, since it was to me techincally inevitable that someday there would be a FF sensor (not necessarily an M8--that to me is great news!).

On top of that there is the bonus that we will finally be fully utilising our lenses (again). Consider that with the M8 our leneses are "oversize" and we effectively carry un-used weight. So a slightly heavier FF M8 (as Mark reckons) would easily be compensated for if you have 3 lenses with you.

A few scattered responses.

LOL @ Hans' step-ladder joke.

I agree with Jamie about it solving the lens thing. I buy lenses the same way.

I haven't learned anything, just getting closer to confirmation. Lee "hinted strongly" over three months ago that they are engineers, and as such would logically pursue a full-frame sensor. Also the Leica upgrade FAQ had already said that a new sensor would be part of the upgrade path. It makes sense to quasi-announce this now because the few people still hedging a purchase of the M8 due to a cropped sensor at least now will be able to buy, or have a light at the end of the tunnel.

LOL!!! Wow. A little scene from a shop window. They almost look like they're dancing (on the glue board, maybe?) in the snow...

I think we need a "I can't believe I saw this..." photo thread...

Imants still gets the nod for weirdest though. There's something "Beatrix Potter meets Edgar Allen Poe" about that dressed up, um, ex-Fox?

Jamie:

Here is another odd one for you. This is an Exterminators shop window, shot in Paris with the M6 TTL on slide film.

rats.jpg

OK, I'm now bracing myself for the inexorable avalanche of concerns, outrage, and various speculation based on this "hint".

On second thought, I think that I'll simply take a break from the various Leica forums until most of the snow has thundered down the mountain.

I think that is a very smart move. Sorry, I don't believe for a minute that Leica has realistic plans of any FF sensor M-system camera - or update, because no such sensor would be possible. On Leica R, perhaps. It would be very bad if potential buyers stop buying M8 because they are convinced that a FF-M is around the corner.

Ooof! My head hurts at this point. Seeing in how I have spent about 5 grand on Hasselblad and Kodak HIE film for it, I am going to just sit tight and watch the parade...quietly.

Thankfully, I have many quality distractions in photography to keep me busy until this settles down a bit.