Full Frame Is Here !!!!!!

Guest stnami

Advertisement (gone after registration)

That's welcome news and would be the change which justified the whole upgrade idea - and bring me on board!

I think the existing sensor carrier plate could take a full frame sensor and assuming the shutter is big enough, as Jeff says, one challenge will be finding space for the battery at a time when power requirements are likely to increase, not decrease.

What you see inside the lens throat is actually the same plastic moulding as half of the battery compartment. Look at the front and bottom of the camera with the base-plate removed, and you can see how the battery encroaches into the lens throat from the right hand, preview selector side.

Things will need to be moved around and it may be the new shutter is the first step in that process. One other option would be to use a taller baseplate (taller by, say, an AA cell diameter) and run the battery across the width of the camera in a similar way they used to with the old clip on winders. You could fit 4 AA-sized cells in the space available. Alternatively, they could put batteries in the handle of the grip so that buying a grip was also a battery capacity upgrade.

[sorry HC, our posts crossed and mine was delayed while I was making a cup of tea...!]

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think the tea was worth it.

Glad to get your confirmation of the concept. We've already bought the slightly bigger M; now we'll be glad to see it grow yet again for the benefit of FF.

As Lee is quoted as saying, "we will do what's right."

--HC

Finally things come the right direction ;)

I have always waited for FF, now it is arriving. This is the best and greatest news I have had throughout the last 10 years of my photographic life :D

Things will change substantially while moving to FF - for a lot of us.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It is rather strange statement from Mr Lee. He said that it will be FF rangefinder on Photokina show. It means that such FF camera can be ready to ship in Christmas shopping season. M8 is known since PK 2006 and Leica is working hard since that event, I think. It looks that FF camera is ready for final tests now and they really expect to show it in the September.

If such statement is given today, we can expect rapid fall of M8 selling. Many people will wait for FF camera and not to buy M8 in the meantime.

So the upgrade concept is on its place. Leica will have a cashflow in the time of waiting for start of selling of FF rangefinder camera.

And the last word: can you give me a name of other digital camera manufacturer which is providing upgrade policy for its cameras?

Kind regards

Irek

It is rather strange statement from Mr Lee. He said that it will be FF rangefinder on Photokina show. It means that such FF camera can be ready to ship in Christmas shopping season. M8 is known since PK 2006 and Leica is working hard since that event, I think. It looks that FF camera is ready for final tests now and they really expect to show it in the September.

If such statement is given today, we can expect rapid fall of M8 selling. Many people will wait for FF camera and not to buy M8 in the meantime.

So the upgrade concept is on its place. Leica will have a cashflow in the time of waiting for start of selling of FF rangefinder camera.

And the last word: can you give me a name of other digital camera manufacturer which is providing upgrade policy for its cameras?

Kind regards

Irek

I dont think you can buy M8´s upgraded. Isnt that right? Therefore it would be smarter buying it now so you can even out the cost over the year.

What the AP website actually says is

Leica's chief has dropped strong hints that the firm is planning to launch a full-frame 35mm sensor based digital rangefinder camera.

'When it's ready we will do what's right,' said Lee indicating that a full-frame camera would feature a CCD imaging sensor and could see its official debut at the Photokina trade show in Germany this autumn.

This does NOT say there'll be a FF M at PhotoKina, let alone suggest that the camera or upgrade will be shipping by Christmas. More likely, a formal announcement at PK - maybe with a "roadmap" and even a prototype in a glass case - with shipping products following many months later.

Even if the system is actually ready now, they should delay it and spend the next year dropping misleading hints and enjoying the reaction here.

You know what? My M8 is noisier than my MP but it isn't really noisy. It's sensor is smaller than my 5D but I prefer the files and can print them on an 24" wide printer or larger with excellent results.

Now the AWB is fixed, I am happy with what I have. Maybe I'd buy a FF version one day, or upgrade to it - but not if it gets a millimetre larger or an ounce heavier. All cameras are compromises and after a year of us all being simultaneously excited and yet still finding lots to complain about, I think the M8 is, for my purposes, the best compromise I have ever used. For now at least, is all the camera I will ever need...

T

Any forum member here visited the PMA and handled the 'new M8' with 'quieter shutter' ?

My question is, does anyone ever got a chance to examine the new shutter and can confirm us whether it was designed to clear the 36x24 FF ?