Firmware update just "killed" my M8

gurtch

Guest guy_mancuso

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leica is aware of this thread so do report them and i suggest calling customer service if you cannot get it going correctly. This is pretty rare and not something normal.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I'd seen this thread before updating my firmware it would have made me more reluctant to do it... So, "...ignorance is bliss" and all that. I downloaded the new firmware about 0600 GMT on Friday, carefully read the instructions twice, and followed them to the letter. Process went very smoothly, and all is well.

Does anyone have an address for Leica Repair? My M8 will need to go to them to solve my problem.

You can check the instruction manual. It's printed on p 71 of the US German/English instructions (or as Adobe Reader sees it, "p 74 (5 of 72)").

--HC

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Pleased to report that by following the directions exactly - waited three seconds - not four or two - before pushing install - I managed to update successfully on the first try the firmware on my repaired replacement M8. Maybe my luck is changing!

Cheers

Howard (freezing in Hong Kong)

Pleased to report that by following the directions exactly - waited three seconds - not four or two - before pushing install - I managed to update successfully on the first try the firmware on my repaired replacement M8. Maybe my luck is changing!

Cheers

Howard (freezing in Hong Kong)

I bravely counted to 3 - in seconds - and gave it a couple more: upgrade went like a breeze, in less than the 3 seconds as advertised. But in previous upgrades my camera behaved well, I must say.

I too find the WB vastly improved and very good indoors.

With my newly aquired 75mm Cron - turned in the first after a week because of backfocus and left my dealer with a new number 2 - I am blown away by Leica M8's colors and sharpness. As if Idid not already liked what I had :D

Just got mine updated, everything going smoothly and took only 120 seconds to complete the uploading not what Leica's stipulated 180 seconds, wondering are there different clock speed with the processor..? :confused:

It may take different amounts of time depending on the firmware you're updating from; it might also take different amounts of time depending on how many times a verification step fails and an update step has to be re-tried - or maybe the designers just quoted a high number to increase the amount of time you'd wait before being tempted to mess with the process and screw it up manually :-)

• 1 month later...

I started this thread after my M8 froze up after installing firmware upgrade. I sent it back to Leica. They received it on Feb 26, 2008. I just spoke to someone in Leica's repair department, and the good news is that the repair is a warranty repair, at no charge. The bad news is that it is not scheduled to be finished until mid April! WOW! That long to "unfreeze" the camera? The invoice also states "Upgrade to Current Standard" and

"Check and adjust for good working order" Is this being sent back to Germany, for what I assumed was a simple fix? I am attending a dear friend's daughter's wedding in early April, and was hoping to take some available light candids with M8. Guess I will have to use my "HUGE" (and loud) Canon DSLR. I can't believe about 2 months to repair the M8 "freeze" problem. Bummer!!:mad: :mad: :(

Dave G

Beach Haven, NJ

This sounds like it is a camera of the SDS (sudden death) series. They will have to exchange part of the electronics. The rest about check and adjust is a standard formula. In your case I would call the Service Department in Solms on the telephone (number on the website), explain your predicament and ask them to speed up the service. Who knows...usually they are helpful and accomodating.

Dave, I'm sorry for you. If it is any consolation you are not allone. My Elmarit-M 90mm has been in Solms since late November for coding and fixing the focus ring as it wasn't smooth all the way. My Elmar-M 50mm was sent for coding at the same time and came back in early February. It had to go back again as the helical wouldn't move RF patch so it would show infinity focus even of the lens was there...

- Carl

Thanks both for your reply.

Dave

Doesn't it make you happy to know that you are in the majority of people who send their cameras or lenses to Allendale and then wait forever for the repair. When it comes to service Leica is in the small group of companies who charge the moon and can't find their asscheeks with both hands. WOW.......this is not just a problem ..............this is pathetic. Herr Kauffman either gets this one fixed or bend over and kiss his a@@$ goodbye. Please no one defend this kind of after sales support. I don't care how much you love Leica (and I do). We must force them through our wallets to clean up their act or just go belly up. If you think it can;t happen, have you looked at Bear Stearns anytime this week. The CEO alone took an $800MIO bath! Good for him...........he deserved it. And so will Herr Kauffman if he doesn't pay attention. All well and good to think about the future of M's and R's but for the moment how about a service organization that can fix what we already own. Good Lord this is so primitive I can hardly believe I am writiing this.

Hopefully

Woody Spedden

Doesn't it make you happy to know that you are in the majority of people who send their cameras or lenses to Allendale and then wait forever for the repair. When it comes to service Leica is in the small group of companies who charge the moon and can't find their asscheeks with both hands. WOW.......this is not just a problem ..............this is pathetic. Herr Kauffman either gets this one fixed or bend over and kiss his a@@$ goodbye. Please no one defend this kind of after sales support. I don't care how much you love Leica (and I do). We must force them through our wallets to clean up their act or just go belly up. If you think it can;t happen, have you looked at Bear Stearns anytime this week. The CEO alone took an $800MIO bath! Good for him...........he deserved it. And so will Herr Kauffman if he doesn't pay attention. All well and good to think about the future of M's and R's but for the moment how about a service organization that can fix what we already own. Good Lord this is so primitive I can hardly believe I am writiing this.

Hopefully

Woody Spedden

Thanks Woody. I always look to you to add some sanity to whatever madness is happening at the moment.

Best regards

Dave G. :rolleyes:

Thanks Woody. I always look to you to add some sanity to whatever madness is happening at the moment.

Best regards

Dave G. :rolleyes:

UPDATE: My M8 arrived today (3/25/08) from Leica repair. So they had it since Feb 26, and shipped yesterday (about 1 month turnaround). The good news is there was NO CHARGE (not even shipping).

I am now charging the battery.....keep your fingers crossed!!:cool::eek:

Dave