Firmware update just "killed" my M8

gurtch

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I down loaded the new firmware and installed it. When prompted to restart the camera, I turned the main switch "off" then "on". The red light on the back of the camera came on and stays on, even if the camera is turned "off". The camera is dead--nothing works. I tried removing the battery. When the battery is re-installed, and the camera turned on the red light reappears, and the camera is still dead. HELP!!!

Thanks in advance:mad:

Dave G in NJ

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Remove the battery and wait 24 hours. This lets the camera re-set itself

Make sure that the battery is fully charged

UNZIP the updater to a BLANK SD Card

Turn on the camera and go through the normal process.

I've just updated the firmware on both my M8 bodies - never had problems.

Hope this helps - if others who have experienced problems with earlier upgrades, please fo chip in.

Best of luck

You can also buy a new "old" M8 for 5000$ than order -and pay- the upgrade for a lower shutter and a protected screen!!! and pray that german engineers would be half as good as japanese.

More seriously I love my M8 for wonderful Leica lenses, but Leica is laghing at us with this upgrade, good in principle, ridiculous regarding a prototype like M8.

Remove the battery and wait 24 hours. This lets the camera re-set itself

Make sure that the battery is fully charged

UNZIP the updater to a BLANK SD Card

Turn on the camera and go through the normal process.

I've just updated the firmware on both my M8 bodies - never had problems.

Hope this helps - if others who have experienced problems with earlier upgrades, please fo chip in.

Best of luck

Same here. 2 M8's, one from Jan '07 one from August '07. I downloaded and put onto an SD card. Tried to use the same card for the second M8 but that did not work. Formated the SD card again, downloaded again from the web site. Worked without problem. The downloads seemed to take longer than previous ones.

Teddy

I have never had a problem so far..( Looking for some wood ).. I typically start with a freshly formatted card and to just as the instructions say.. Have you tried a different card?

Yes, two different cards but I should emphasize that I have adopted exactly the same proceedure as practiced with all previous updates which have installed without any hitch at all. I have mailed support and await their reply.

Same here. 2 M8's, one from Jan '07 one from August '07. I downloaded and put onto an SD card. Tried to use the same card for the second M8 but that did not work. Formated the SD card again, downloaded again from the web site. Worked without problem. The downloads seemed to take longer than previous ones.

Teddy

Teddy,

Have you actually installed the latest update?

Guest guy_mancuso

Dave try a different card and battery first format the card on your PC since your not running. And also put in a new battery that is charged up. Let us know

The other place you might get into trouble is in writing the m8-1_201.upd file to the SD card in the reader attached to the PC. Just pulling the card out of the reader without going thru the Windows procedure for "safely removing" the reader is risking having a corrupted file on the SD card.

But if you live close to Leica USA's NJ offices and really have a problem with the new firmware I am sure you will get immediate service at the drive-in window today.

scott