Firmware update just "killed" my M8

gurtch

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks Guy - I downloaded the FW update again, and I tried a different SD card - and nothing. If I remove the battery and turn the M8 back on, then the red LED lights up for about 10 seconds, then nothing. Then nothing happens until I turn it off and thenn back on, and the LED lights again. I am charging batteries now, although I didn't receive any error message about low battery charge before the update. I have done several updates in the past and no glitches. I am baffled, and I have to say very bummed out. Any additional thoughts? Is the FW corrupt in the camera now ? I assume the FW update would have some sort of safety in it that would prevent a complete corruption?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest guy_mancuso

Okay folks sent a note to Robert Fisk at leica NJ . Here is his suggestions

Hello Guy,

I hope all is well in AZ.

I would recommend that the customer try and reset the camera.

The camera is most likely in the middle of the update and the battery power dropped too low causing the camera to shut off.

Take the battery out.

Leave the camera on overnight. Don't keep turning it off and on just leave it on. Leaving the camera on overnight will drain the internal battery & cause the camera to reset.

Charge the battery and make sure that it is fully charged before putting it back in the camera.

Turn off the camera put in the battery and the M8 should be reset.

Once this happens the customer will have to start the update process again.

This is the best quick fix I can provide you. If the customer is still having problems he/she will need to send it in to the Service Department.

Robert Fisk

Leica Camera USA

Guy - thanks for contacting Robert Fisk. I was just about to do that. Thank you! I will try his suggestion and see if it will reset on its own. I tried a newly charged battery and a new card and that doesn't do the trick. So...I will go to plan B, and if that doesn't work then plan C. I'll report back to see if this provided the fix. I have no idea how this happened since I have never had any FW update issues on any of my camera's 1ds, P45, or M8...there is always something new.

I have updated firmware in both cameras.

After the firmware update the LEDs in the viewfinder are blinling 8000 or 3>2" on both cameras.

I have to reset both cameras, reload the firmware with another SD card, change batteries, donwload the firware again from Leica site and reload it to both cameras. They're still the same.

Anys suggestions?

Bravo Leica!

Guest guy_mancuso

Your very welcome. Hopefully all my posts in the last several days have helped Leica and it's users understand all of these announcements and get us all through this in a professional and less frustrating manor. I have a headache the size of a 180 f2 apo at the moment and trying to pack for our workshop in Moab but this stuff needs to be handled for all of us.

Full battery-out reset, or reload the old firmware. I'm slightly surprised, though. I have two cameras and would never update firmware on the second until I was sure the first was all right.:rolleyes: You were very unlucky. I commiserate I would be slightly annoyed to put it very mildly...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Full battery-out reset, or reload the old firmware. I'm slightly surprised, though. I have two cameras and would never update firmware on the second until I was sure the first was all right.:rolleyes: You were very unlucky. I commiserate I would be slightly annoyed to put it very mildly...

Jaap, I also have two cameras and I never had problems updating the firmware. The first one had 1.094 (never released on Leica site), the second body 1.107

I will try to reinstall 1.110 and see what happens.

Guest guy_mancuso

REMEMBER FOLKS WAIT 3 SECONDS BEFORE HITTING THE YES BUTTON TO UPLOAD THE FIRMWARE

Sorry but wanted to get your attention on this one

Wow that is big type. LOL

REMEMBER FOLKS WAIT 3 SECONDS BEFORE HITTING THE YES BUTTON TO UPLOAD THE FIRMWARE

Well, I have downgraded one body to 1.110 (and waited for about 10 seconds before hitting the "YES" button) and nothing have changed. The viewfinder LEDs are blinking 8000 or 3>2".

I have recovered one of my bodies (the first one) after downgrading to 1.102 and upgrading to 1.107, 1.110 and finally to 1.201

The second one (which has been sitting in Solms for a month and Leica forgot to repair it) it's impossible to get it back to normal use. I have remove the battery (for the night) and if tomorrow it's still the same... someone in Solms will have a nasty morning!

Enough is enough

My upgrade went without incident but wow Guy I am shocked that you know how to increase the font and add color. You even had correct spelling. Maybe you should always use the larger font LOLOLOLOL

Seriously Guy,

Thanks for all your efforts. I barely get the chance to look in on this site or for that matter take many photos it seems. I took a new position at work and while I make great money, they actually expect me to work LOL!!!!!!!!!! I committed till August 2009 and thats it I am done, I told them. I said I want to spend more time with my cameras. Have fun in Moab, its a place I have always wanted to visit. I have come close to the area via Durango and Mesa Verde. Maybe September 2009.....

Thanks for the warnings, you guy scare the shxt of me. So I read & read & read the pdf before I upgrade my FW with a formated card and fully charged battery. I upgraded my M8 from 1.107 without problem.

I will try out the AWB & presets on this Satuday's wedding. will report back result.

manuel: both my 2 m8-bodies do the same, but only when the meter is blocked by either camera- or lens-cover!

Sven,

No lens cover and the camera is not blocked. This happens when I´m in Auto mode. If I set the camera in manual mode the arrows (LEDs) blink madly.

As I said previously, the LEDs blink between 3>2" and 8000. If I press the shutter when the LEDs say 3>2", the exposure is set at 3>2" and I get a white image (and NR turns on). If I press the shutter when the LEDs say 8000 the exposure is set at 8000 and I get a very dark image.

I left the camera with no battery during the night. This morning the problem is still there. I've just been at "La Maison du Leica" (just 300 meters from home) and they have seen the problem. La Maison du Leica has called Solms to report it and someone from Solms should contact me this morning.

I'm not surprised this happens with this body. Since September I've been having problems with it. It has been in Solms for a month and they fogot to repair it.

What upsets me it's that it happened also with the other body (my first M8). This one has been working properly since June. After downgrading firmware and upgrading it, the problem was solved, but not with the second body.

Cheers