Firmware update just "killed" my M8

gurtch

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sven,

No lens cover and the camera is not blocked. This happens when I´m in Auto mode. If I set the camera in manual mode the arrows (LEDs) blink madly.

As I said previously, the LEDs blink between 3>2" and 8000. If I press the shutter when the LEDs say 3>2", the exposure is set at 3>2" and I get a white image (and NR turns on). If I press the shutter when the LEDs say 8000 the exposure is set at 8000 and I get a very dark image.

I left the camera with no battery during the night. This morning the problem is still there. I've just been at "La Maison du Leica" (just 300 meters from home) and they have seen the problem. La Maison du Leica has called Solms to report it and someone from Solms should contact me this morning.

I'm not surprised this happens with this body. Since September I've been having problems with it. It has been in Solms for a month and they fogot to repair it.

What upsets me it's that it happened also with the other body (my first M8). This one has been working properly since June. After downgrading firmware and upgrading it, the problem was solved, but not with the second body.

Cheers

When I upgraded my camera with the previous firmware, it simply died. Many guys here blamed me that I did something wrong but it proved to be a hardware failure. So far so good... I sent the camera back to Solms and when I got it back I got problems similar to yours. Take a look at this thread

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m8-forum/40162-problems-m8-again-becomes-boring.html

I sent the camera back and they finally got it right!

Now, I am scared to do the upgrade and imagine that I did upgrades in every other camera I ever had with no problems at all.

I believe that you have to send the camera back to Solms!

Good luck!!!

Left the battery out of the camera overnight per Robert Fisk instruction in Guy's email from him. Tried it this morning again with a fresh card, fully charged battery - nothing. red light comes on in the back of the camera, stays on for 10 seconds, then goes out. Nada. completely. dead. Any more ideas? I guess it goes to NJ.

Guest guy_mancuso

John I would call Robert this morning and see what advice he has for you. He may want it to come back. Somethings wrong it sounds like. Tell him I sent you

Thanks Guy, I couldn't find Robert but I did speak to mark. I just tried reformatting a card in my other M8 body, and loading the older firmware. Same thing. Nada. The red LED lights for 10 seconds upon a battery insertion and that is it. Sounds like plan B is becoming a reality. (You may ask, why not use the other M8 body? It still has to go to Solms for the original circuit board fix and it has some serious focus problems -- I have been traveling so much with my Alpa/P45+ and the other M8 that I haven't had a chance to properly pack it up for its surgery. I am a landscape/travel photog. Maybe my M8 didn't like the cold temperatures in Alaska last week??????) SIGH:eek:

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Left the battery out of the camera overnight per Robert Fisk instruction in Guy's email from him. Tried it this morning again with a fresh card, fully charged battery - nothing. red light comes on in the back of the camera, stays on for 10 seconds, then goes out. Nada. completely. dead. Any more ideas? I guess it goes to NJ.

I'm the one who started this thread. I, too, left the camera turned "on" all night with no battery installed. This morning I installed a fully charged battery, and "nothing"---red light comes on but camera is stone dead. Ship to Leica??? I'm really bummed out.

Thanks for all those that tried to help, it is much appreciated.

Dave G.

http://www.modernpictorials.com:mad:

Another one bites the dust...I just updated my firmware to the newest version, it killed my camera too! I know something was wrong when there were little dots on my rear lcd monitor. I did everything I was supposed to do, I've done this to my camera for the past year. I take out the battery re-insert it, the camera turns on but the rear functions don't work. I turn off the camera again and turn it back on and it's completely dead. HELP! This is the first time i've had anything happen to the camera.

:(

Guest guy_mancuso

The only thing I can think of is the battery was not fully charged to update even though it may say it is okay , maybe a 1 hour charge first than update. They only thing comes to mind , it sounds as there being hung up during the update

One of the most worrysome aspects of this is that the symtom being described, "...I installed a fully charged battery, and "nothing"---red light comes on but camera is stone dead," is the classic SDS behavior.

Since I never use AWB anyway, I think I can live without this update--at least, until I'm certain there aren't bugs in it.

Guy,

The upload of the firmware was complete and it prompted me to turn off the camera which I did. When I did I waited for a while to turn it back on and I noticed small lines of dots on the rear lcd then nothing. Any help or information would be helpful. Thanks Guy for all you do!

Nick

Guest guy_mancuso
One of the most worrysome aspects of this is that the symtom being described, "...I installed a fully charged battery, and "nothing"---red light comes on but camera is stone dead," is the classic SDS behavior.

Since I never use AWB anyway, I think I can live without this update--at least, until I'm certain there aren't bugs in it.

Yea it sounds like it but not sure it is it. Tough call, hopefully Leica is looking at this. But I will bring it up for sure.

Will it let you try again when you insert a freshly charged battery and a newly formatted card with the firmware on it? If not, then it wiped the boot loader and without special software tools from Leica you can't fix it. If it does let you load but still ends with the same result, try and go back a couple of versions. It may be that the internal branching software where it determines which modification of the circuit board you have is not working correctly so it is branching off and over writing a section of ROM it shouldn't.

Brent

I understand your reluctance but I did both my bodies with no problems whatsoever. I think that any time you are installing firmware you must have fresh batteries whether the body is a Canon, Nikon or Leica

Woody

Guy,

The upload of the firmware was complete and it prompted me to turn off the camera which I did. When I did I waited for a while to turn it back on and I noticed small lines of dots on the rear lcd then nothing. Any help or information would be helpful. Thanks Guy for all you do!

Nick

Nick,

The instructions include a 'wait 3 seconds' after inserting the SD card and before initiating the upgrade, but the restart procedure afterwards requires the camera to be switched off then on again with no waiting time.

It may have nothing to do with your problem but you never know...

Steve

Nick,

The instructions include a 'wait 3 seconds' after inserting the SD card and before initiating the upgrade, but the restart procedure afterwards requires the camera to be switched off then on again with no waiting time.

It may have nothing to do with your problem but you never know...

Steve

Steve,

Yeah, I did wait the 3 seconds but I did wait several seconds before switching on the camera after being prompted to turn off the camera, so I don't know. I'm real picky about making sure I'm following the instructions correctly. I'm just sad not to have my camera working now. It was treating me so well. We will see what tomorrow will bring.

Nick

Brent

I understand your reluctance but I did both my bodies with no problems whatsoever. I think that any time you are installing firmware you must have fresh batteries whether the body is a Canon, Nikon or Leica

Woody

I changed my mind and did the upload later today. It worked beautifully. Images look wonderful. Damn, I love that camera!! Guess that makes me a Leica fan club member.

I changed my mind and did the upload later today. It worked beautifully. Images look wonderful. Damn, I love that camera!! Guess that makes me a Leica fan club member.

I had no problem. I even forgot the warning about 3 sec and pushed the "set" button too quickly, then, horrified, shut down. Took a deep breath, started again and had no problem. But if there are more dead-on-installation cases, please report them and don't worry about the impression. If there is a rare exposure and its not really user error, it has to get reported, understood, and fixed.

scott