New Shutter Sound - What's Your Opinion

stevelap

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Not wanting to get involved in the general discussion - I don't own an M8 and don't have current plans to do so - but I was curious to hear the shutter comparison, and I listened on my Sennheiser HD280 closed headphones.

Two observations:

- one is that the visual graphs on the site don't reflect my aural perception of the difference between the two sounds - they seem much more similar than the graphs would imply

- two, it definitely still doesn't sound like my M7.

Of course, the only way to tell if it's for you is to test in real life.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have listened to both sound files and they do seem to be different in two ways.

First there is the obvious lessening in sound, ie amplitude which is to be welcomed.

Secondly, there is a difference in the type of sound, the new shutter has less of a thwank, more of a clearer "whistle" that is not the correct description but the nearest I can get to the new sound. I must say I like this new sound better.

I always feared this Leica thing would drive me over the edge, here I am trying to compare different sounds and come up with new words to describe the auditory impact.

Tom

Guest tummydoc
the new one is definitely quieter, but it does not sound ANYTHING close to my manual MP... The metallic click and whir is still there instead of the soft, classic snic...

Exactly as one would expect from just another generic-based Copal metal-bladed vertical-blind shutter with motorised re-arming. It is completely conceivable that the slight reduction in volume and/or pitch is due to a dollar's worth of added sound-deadening, and that the change of shutter mechanisms plays little or no part in it. I am certain there is another agenda which accounts for the complete replacement of the shutter, but I would prefer not to speculate further as to what that might be.

I suspect the change in shutter is based more on the issues with dings appearing in the shutter blades. I had to have a new shutter and so did several other forum members, after 'dings' appeared on the shutter blades. BTW - I mean appeared, NOTHING was ever shoved into the camera. When I discussed the issue with Leica this was not something that was an isolated case. I think if there is a new shutter, it's a good thing. I do not trust the shutter in the M8
I suspect that this was a factor in putting the new shutter into the first upgrade...nothing wrong with prioritizing improved reliability along with the other benefits.

Guest tummydoc
I suspect that this was a factor in putting the new shutter into the first upgrade...nothing wrong with prioritizing improved reliability along with the other benefits.

No, but IMO there would be something a little--shall we say "less than admirable"-- about selling it as a sound upgrade and charging full-tilt for it in an attempt to preempt as many in-warranty shutter repair/replacements as possible

Advertisement (gone after registration)

After listening to it quite a few times, I pulled the volume slider down and now I found the sound quite acceptable. 8-)

Seriously -- and this may be an index of the craziness on the site -- I tried to equalize the sound of the old shutter, as represented by Leica and as it comes through my headphones, with the actual sound of my M8. When I did that, then the new shutter sound seems notably quieter. But this is like science in a Roadrunner cartoon, and I have no idea if it represents reality. The new sound doesn't seem to me to be any louder than an M7's "cluk," but both M8 sounds have that annoying rewind buzz, which the M7 doesn't. I also compared everything to the R-D1, and the R-D1, IMHO, is the quietest of all.

It has occurred to me that one of the CLA shops that work on Leicas might put together a nice little business rehabbing and repairing R-D1s. For people who worry about their "investment," this could be the collectable camera of the future.

JC

The graphs on the Leica web page only show vibrations associated with the two curtains of a focal plane shutter. They do not appear to show the re-arming action. The sound files presumably show both actions. The reduced vibration during the time of the exposure sounds like a real gain. I don't have a decent headset with me to judge the total sound right now.

scott

..... it does not sound ANYTHING close to my manual MP... ......IMO it's not much of an upgrade for my uses...

Jack - I too was thinking that. I'm surprised by the the enthusiasm for the upgrade by some posters. I like the idea of optional upgrades, but for me the noise improvement in the new shutter recording is not significant enough. I don't care about a new screen cover, and being out of pocket E1200 and left with my very poor shutter release would be wasted money I think.

................ Chris

...I would still prefer adding the manual advance lever for single shots....

So would i but i'm not sure if the new noise is louder than a manual advance. First time i have the feeling that the M8 come near the R-D1. Any idea when the new beast can be tested in person folks?

I do not get it. Have been listening to the two soundfiles now for 15-20 time, both in succession, and to tel the truth, I really do not hear such a great difference. Doing this on a MacBook Pro, which has rather good speakers for a laptop, but the difference is so small that I cannog imagine paing 1200 eros for it. Now there was another interesting speculation I saw and that was that the shutter change was a necessary prerequisite for a sensor change, i.e. up to maybe full frame!. Now this I could understand. However looking into my M8, holding the shutter open, I really donot see room for a FF sensor which should be 36 mm on the long side. But this is an interesting speculation anyway.

I can buy several dozen sets of disposable hearing protectors for less than $10. I'll be issuing them to anyone in close proximity who finds the M8's shutter noise disturbing.

Like a few others who have posted, I have the nagging feeling that this "upgrade" is a way to preemptively mitigate warranty claims.

Larry

I agree. At first, before turning up the volume considerably, I thought for a moment that Leica had put two "standard" sound files out by a mistake.

There is a difference, but in my opinion, not €1200 worth of silence. And I have in fact made use of 1/8000s. Then what's left? A sensor clean, the sapphire screen cover and being without the M8 for one or two summer months? I think not, Leica. Maybe later...

I do not get it. Have been listening to the two soundfiles now for 15-20 time, both in succession, and to tel the truth, I really do not hear such a great difference. Doing this on a MacBook Pro, which has rather good speakers for a laptop, but the difference is so small that I cannog imagine paing 1200 eros for it. Now there was another interesting speculation I saw and that was that the shutter change was a necessary prerequisite for a sensor change, i.e. up to maybe full frame!. Now this I could understand. However looking into my M8, holding the shutter open, I really donot see room for a FF sensor which should be 36 mm on the long side. But this is an interesting speculation anyway.

The recording doesn't sound like my M8. Mine has a distinct buzz sound on top of what I heard in their recording.

I do feel a thwack when my shutter fires, so for me a shutter with less vibration that is quieter to boot is a great improvement.

It seems like everyone thinks this upgrade is about the sound reduction. Its about the vibration reduction, which will result in an even sharper image.