New firmware 1.201 is online (merged FW 1.201 thread)

ArtZ

Advertisement (gone after registration)

That's all fine. AWB seems to work now. Finally... But... they say to store the JPEG's you will have to wait 1,3 secs. more than before.... I can't understand this...

And still no Support for SDHC-Cards...

I think, it's Time to say goodbye to M8. And go back to Canon EOS-1 Ds...

Can anybody explain to me what the advantage of SDHC cards is for a camera with a relatively slow burst rate like the M8?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

After installing the 1.2 FW, my M8 now presents like an entirely different camera. Very Nikon like’ with respect to WB and I couldn’t be happier! Ok, I still hate the cheesy power switch but then again, who doesn’t? I’m almost reluctant to send it away for the upgrade in August but what the hell. Who knows, maybe by then they will allow us to tack on some creature comforts while its there.

Regards,:)

Now if I could just get back-focusing issues worked out with all my lenses, I'd be very happy.

Don't stop down! Seriously, most Leica lenses are at their best wide open. Focus shift is the most noticable of the not so nice things that may happen when you stop down.

I have noticed since loading the new firmware 1.201 that at slow shutter speeds ex: 1/24th sec and longer the camera is VERY VERY SLOW at writing/responding.

using Sandisk Ultra II 1gig PLUS cards, i can only take 5 dng shots before the camera stops working because its busy writing the files...

this is VERY disappointing as i do most of my shooting in nighttime lowlight situations.

anyone else experience this?

I use Sandisk Extreme III 2G cards, and get eleven DNGs at 1/24 second before the "buffer full" slowdown happens with the new firmware. With a 2G Ultra II, I get ten shots before slowdown.

--clyde

The AWB is like night and day.

I still wish we could get some mature preview options. Like the choice to have a histogram, clipping warning, and full file # and info upfront on the first screen. Leica's "simplicity" is sometimes maddening. yes, I know some of you prefer the supposedly simple menu of the M8 but really a few more options aren't gonna kill you. If you can't find your way around a modern camera menu then you probably don't have any business shooting digital in the first place 'cause PS, color management, printing, etc etc is a heck of a lot more complex.

Please let me correct: Brava Leica! (in italian it's female:D)

Grazie.

Here is another point of comparison regarding the new awb firmware. We're having a tremendous snowstorm here in Chicago today. This presents a nice opportunity to make some casual comparisons in flat, neutral light.

Below is a screen clipping taken from a Lightroom thumbnail display showing four images (all RAW) of two scenes I shot from my window today. On the left are the scenes shot with a "Cloudy" WB setting. On the right are the same scenes with an "Auto" setting. You may have noticed in the past that the M8 seemed to have an extremely limited number of K values in its white balance looker-upper table. It now appears that, at a minimum, Leica has added more values to that table and improved the looker-upper algorithm.

92367352.jpg

The Auto results are clearly much closer to the scenes' actual appearance, although they are just a bit cooler (bluer) than what would seem spot-on. But this, and the other examples posted, suggest that we now have a much more current auto white balance facility in this camera.

Can anybody explain to me what the advantage of SDHC cards is for a camera with a relatively slow burst rate like the M8?

Maximum card capacity. The standard SD cards only go up to 2GB (Transcend does make one that is 4GB). The SDHC cards go up to 16 GB (SanDisk just announced a 32 GB card).

It'd be nice to have just one card for an entire week's trip somewhere, for those of us who like to use the camera for travel photography.

It'd be nice to have just one card for an entire week's trip somewhere, for those of us who like to use the camera for travel photography.

And if that one convenient card goes south so do all the photos from your trip! :eek:

Maybe I'm a bit of a Luddite, but I just can't bring myself to trust the technology that far (even though I've never actually encountered a catastrophic card failure myself). I'd much rather have photos from a trip distributed over a number of smaller cards. Fewer eggs in each basket, as it were. :)

Well, I just got a mad-scroll incident after turning on the camera, pushing the SET button and down scrolling with the wheel... off it went.

It's interesting also that Leica changed the EV adjustment. You no longer have the same interface as before (as we still have with ISO), now it just changes in a single line.

Personally, I've no desire to use memory cards larger than 2Gb on my M8. 187 raw image files per card is plenty. I actually prefer to change cards before I reach that capacity precisely because I don't want to lose every image if a card gets lost or goes south.

I do use 4Gb cards with my 1DsII and now 8Gb cards on my medium format back. But those larger capacities are commensurate with the larger file sizes of the cameras.

I did the firmware update this evening and shot a few snaps around the house using different types of lights, and I am very pleased with the outcome. All in all, in the end, I'm glad the camera was released even with the WB issues. I've taken some memorable shots with this camera in the last year.

Cheers,

Wilfredo

Benitez-Rivera Photography

Personally, I've no desire to use memory cards larger than 2Gb on my M8. 187 raw image files per card is plenty. I actually prefer to change cards before I reach that capacity precisely because I don't want to lose every image if a card gets lost or goes south.

Agree; can't beat the price for the 2 GB cards currently.SDHC a non-issue for me