New firmware 1.201 is online (merged FW 1.201 thread)

ArtZ

Advertisement (gone after registration)

great stuff !

AWB seems pretty stable

I havent yet had the stall, 2 images back, 2 images forward thing yet either

and as an aside, for teh first tiem i also foudn out that my M8 can play a click sound when i press buttons... excellent

also, is it my imagination or have they changed the EV option. Did it not used to be a drop down box (like the iso selection) whereas now it just changes on the single line of text rather than showing a drop down selection box ?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've had some experience with 1.201. While I can quibble with its absolute accuracy at low K, the "hilarious" (embarassing) behavior of widely varying presentations in a series of mixed lighting situations that wouldn't seem to be different -- is gone. The other lcd and menu navigation bugs ("venetian blinds") seem to be gone, too, but I'll wait for Leica to post a list of what they have fixed before being sure of that.

scott

That's all fine. AWB seems to work now. Finally... But... they say to store the JPEG's you will have to wait 1,3 secs. more than before.... I can't understand this...

And still no Support for SDHC-Cards...

I think, it's Time to say goodbye to M8. And go back to Canon EOS-1 Ds...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am very encouraged by what I've seen thus far regarding the new fimware's auto white balance.

Many of you may recall the pretty, but pretty hilarious awb samples I posted here last May:

78636705.jpg

After updating to the new firmware this morning I shot the same scene with the same camera/lens/ISO. Granted, the lighting conditions today are a bit different than in the previous test. But the M8's original awb would still have produced great variation with this blue vase in the scene. Here are the results with firmware 1.201:

92360687.jpg

Other individual scenes have shown similarly accurate and consistent results.

So at this point I have to commend Leica for clearly putting their shoulders to this issue. Of course it will take a bit more experience before I gain full confidence with the M8's awb. But I am certainly encouraged by what I've seen so far.

Bravo Leica.

Ken, I remember the illustrations of the problem you posted. They were right in line with what I've experienced with the M8 from day one. I am greatly encouraged by your lastest posting--looking forward to getting home tonight and trying it out to see for myself. Getting logical, consistent color from the M8 is, to me, a hell of a lot more important than shutter noise or a more scratch resistant LCD. Now if I could just get back-focusing issues worked out with all my lenses, I'd be very happy.

The list of changes in this firmware is buried in the downloading instructions, so I'll copy them here:

[paste]

Firmware version 1.201 - The update adds these improvements to your camera:

􀂾 New and considerably improved algorithms for the automatic white balance (AWB) for true-to-life colors in almost all lighting conditions.

􀂾 Bug fixes: The following effects have been remedied:

o With certain SD card types, images were bouncing while being reviewed.

o In few cases, wrong exposures were reported when the camera was released from stand-by mode.

o In the Exif data, the Max-Aperture-Value of the TRI-ELMAR-M 16-18-21mm/f4 ASPH was incorrect.

[\paste]

Note also the requirement to wait 3 sec after inserting the SD card, before pressing "yes" to proceed. That sounds a little scary, so do it.

scott

I noticed when starting the M8 up after the firmware update, that it appears to be starting quicker. What I noticed is that using a Sandisk Ultra II 2 gig card, which always was a little slow starting (much quicker with the transcend 4 gig) that the startup sequence appears to be changed. Before the update I turned on the camera and waited approx 3-4 seconds and then in one flash got the battery bar and the remaining frame count. What happens now is that after a little over 1 second up comes a 0 on the count, then a little after that the battery comes up and again a little after that the count is updated to the correct amount. So it is clear to me that they have done something with the startup, at least changed how the card is accessed or how the info is presented on the small lcd screen. Can anyone confirm this?

The 0 showing immediately was a characteristic of earlier firmware releases. It showed you that the camera was ready, but of course gave an incorrect statement of how much memory was left. So they removed it, and got complaints that the camera was booting slower. Apparently it is ready to shoot before the firmware has completed "mounting" the memory card, and the 0 gives a more accurate impression of boot time, so it is back.

scott

Was just experimenting to see if I could click the shutter faster after startup than before. Tried it a few times, i.e. tripped the shutter just after the 0 came up. Worked a couple of times, but when I did this for the third time. the M8 died. As in stone dead, absolutely nonresponsive. So with a lot of trepidation and anxiety I took out the battery and Whew, the camera started up again after inserting it again. So my decision is to not press the shutter until the lcd shows the final count of remaining photos. What a scare!

I also played around with this new feature.

If you take a photo whilst the counter is on 0, it will show the photo as 0/0, when it has read the card it will show that photo as whatever it is in the card sequence, eg 3/3

This is interesting. I also note that the writing of the file waits till the full counter is up.

Tom

I have noticed since loading the new firmware 1.201 that at slow shutter speeds ex: 1/24th sec and longer the camera is VERY VERY SLOW at writing/responding.

using Sandisk Ultra II 1gig PLUS cards, i can only take 5 dng shots before the camera stops working because its busy writing the files...

this is VERY disappointing as i do most of my shooting in nighttime lowlight situations.

anyone else experience this?

Hey, folks.

Since there has been a plethora of FW 1.201 threads created this morning, as we did for the previous "major" FW release, to avoid confusion, we have collected them all into one thread.

That way, there's a one-stop-shop of all your FW thoughts.

Indeed, I can also say that my camera does start-up quicker with the new firmware.

Of course my camera still powers-up in sleep mode due to that faulty power switch --err, I mean that "feature". (I should be careful; Leica might try to charge me $1,000 for that customized "upgrade".) But once I tap the shutter it does wake ever so slightly more quickly.

I guess that's an improvement...

Thanks Andy my head has been spinning all morning. LOL

I'm having a hard time keeping up and I'm a little lost myself. LOL

Guy, I appreciate your help as being an ambassador for Leica, and I love my M8 just like many here, but "improvements" in firmware should not come at the cost at other functioning features EX: a steady shutter lag/burst rate independent of shutter speeds.....or at least that's what I'm experiencing.

hopefully there's an easy work around for this.

/a