New Leica Web-Site Content

marknorton

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I agree with you about the Adobe vs Leica site. In fact, I think your site Charles Peterson Photography does way more to sell Leicas than Leica's, at least to people who want to do photography in what I would call a "serious" way. If I were not already familiar--unfortunately perhaps too expensively familiar-- with the equipment, the new site would convince me that Leica sells life-style toys and I would look elsewhere for products oriented toward photography instead. Given the number of problems that people seem to be having with the equipment (failures, bad rangefinders, backfocus, whatever) and the pretty poor service response (months before return, little or no communication) perhaps the site is a less than subtle statement about the direction of the company and what we should expect. I did not understand why we were presented with Ms Engelhardt's "very demanding" test of the Summarits but it was only a precursor and the reasons are becoming more clear.

Thank you Joe, that's a really nice thing to say. And I agree with the rest of what you have to say. Really, all I want is to be able to see the damn file # on my initial preview screen (and a histogram would be nice). But instead of dealing with basic UI issues that every other camera manufacturer has down pat Leica are more interested in bling bling ad campaigns and sapphire screens. I think upgrading is a cool concept, great for the planet, etc but this just doesn't seem as well thought out. Maybe too much time hanging out with the models form the website photo shoot....

Anyway, I love shooting with the M8 (and M7) despite its hiccups and will continue to do. But it's also my perogative to bitch - upgrade or don't upgrade that's a choice. Read or don't read negative posts is a choice too.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get this "M8 upgrade will save the planet" BS

The amount of materials and energy embodied in a NEW M8 are diminimus, when compared to your average Prius, or tyre, or TV or washing machine.

The upgrade programme has nothing to do with the planet or sustainability

I don't get this "M8 upgrade will save the planet BS"

The amount of materials and energy embodied in a NEW M8 are diminimus, when compared to your average Prius, or tyre, or TV or washing machine.

...and the new Leica website is considerably less irritating than the EdF adverts currently running on UK TV...:rolleyes:

Regards,

Bill

I don't get this "M8 upgrade will save the planet BS"

I get your point on this one - it's not like without an upgrade an M8 is going to end up on a trash heap somewhere in Kenya being burned to try and extract the copper from it.

But really Leica are the first ones to do this and it really should point the way for tech companies in the future. Unfortunately it's not the free with contract Nokia cell phones of 4 years ago that are being upgraded or that Toshiba 22" TV from six. This is really only an idea that will work with high end products. A good idea for discussion though (in general not just in regards to leica).

And what happens to the old screens and shutters?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I really don't get it. I'm not having any of these problems. I have a volume button too. I'm running Firefox on XP - is that why?

Regards,

Bill

I am running Firefox on Vista and I had to install/re-install Flash just to see anything on the website at all. Most sites give you a lo-bandwidth and hi-bandwidth option when they pull stuff like this. After doing that I was treated to what appeared to be a promo for Gossip Girl or something. I guess they are aiming for the Paris Hilton crowd with this. Would they know how to use anything other than a cameraphone though?