Sign in to follow this  
bebert

Is it a joke?

More then one person has had shutter problems.

Yes - I crashed mine and killed the shutter and a couple of guys poked something through it and one arrived in the box with a mysterious tear in it - that is the extent of the alleged "shutter problems"

I can't find any reference on the US site as to the cost for this upcoming upgrade. Where did you see that the upgrade would cost 1200 Euros?

Thanks

It is in the FAQ page of the German site. There will be no $ price, your credit card will be debited the Euro equivalent.

Well, we don't usually disagree here, but this is just wrong.

To everyone: you don't have to upgrade.

There's nothing in the upgrade notice that changed your M8 at all, except maybe since it's "current" it'll probably hold more value!

I fail to see how Leica has conned or disembowelled anyone of anything!!

It's actually a protection of your investment in the camera.

The normal scenario is the following:

PMA 08: Leica shocks everyone by announcing a M9 available 1Q '09. The M8 becomes cheaper and sales drop because everyone is waiting for the M9.

Resources get put on the brand-new platform, and firmware for the old one becomes low-priority. The price of used M8s has reached all-time lows, even as glass soars.

Everyone with an M8 decides whether or not they will buy the new platform...

Back to reality, except for the fact that Leica is implicitly saying to everyone with an M8 "thanks for investing in us, when we get some really cool stuff going in the future, you're covered" I don't see why anyone would think this is a ploy!

It's childish, really, to say anything else. (...)

I fully agree with Jamie : this is fair marketing and more like a "fildelity program". But I won't upgrade though…

Well, not thinking that the M8 upgrade path for the M8 is also based on marketing considerations would be definitely wrong.

They for sure have done their homework, how to keep sales and interest for the M8 up while working on the successor. They at least seem to have learned form the DMR mistakes.

But I am not sure how many people really want to belief their whole story. I strongly doubt that sensor upgrades would be possible in an existing platform, and the upgrades they offer and will be able to offer in the future, will most have no meaning for me and I guess also for many other users.

100% agree with you David. Now I am sure there will be fotografr to explain us that we knew, we're free and let's not complain and adore the Leica god!

So, I guess both you and David had guns held to your heads and were forced to buy (and keep) the M8. That's very unfortunate.

And really, I don't care how much you complain. Some people just like to do that and it's their prerogative. What I don't like is someone giving me shit about my decision to buy something--the upgrade in this case. What I choose to do with my money is my business--not yours, and not David's.

It is in the FAQ page of the German site. There will be no $ price, your credit card will be debited the Euro equivalent.

I looked on the German site everywere, unfortunately I can't find any price information listed. Do you have a link?

Thanks

I like the idea of a Saphire glass LCD but at 1200.00 Euros, with the wimpy dollar as it is, it will be a no go for me. Thankfully it's not going to make any difference on my ability to shoot, or the quality of my shot. The protective Luigi case does a good enough job protecting the glass. I'm used to the sound of the shutter now, so it really seems an unreasonable price to pay for a little less noise. For those who can and will, more power to you. I'd rather apply that money toward a lens.

Cheers,

Wilfredo

Benitez-Rivera Photography

Yes - I crashed mine and killed the shutter and a couple of guys poked something through it and one arrived in the box with a mysterious tear in it - that is the extent of the alleged "shutter problems"

My shutter failed after some 1500 actuations - for no apparent reason whatsoever, the camera was mounted on a tripod indoors and the shutter died from one shot to the next so don't be a smartass about this issue.

Carsten--since you asked, the CLA on my M6 at Kindermann Canada was just about $500 CAN (which is just about $500 USD, these days).

So Ken can call it a lube job, or whatever, and people can ignore the replacement cost of a new shutter and gripe, on the one hand, about the one they have being too loud, and the one Leica is proposing not being fast (or cheap) enough, but honestly, the camera has been out for two years now. The amount you're paying for the extra warranty, in my calculation, at an $1800 price, is about $250 per year (or $500 total out of the full charge).

That's a little over $20 per month--nothing like $75 per month.

If you thought they were going to change the original shutter sound via firmware or something, or that you're entitled to the upgrade for free, well, you were mistaken

As for them not being able to change the sensor, I really don't see why not. I'd like FF, but even if it was the same size / crop factor, I'd jump on a better Bayer pattern sensor / better noise ISO characteristics / no IR filter version in a second.