Sign in to follow this  
bebert

Is it a joke?

The new shutter is most certainly welcome. But I think the high upgrade cost (particulary when calculated in wimpy US dollars) is a lot to pay for what some consider to be a "given" in a Leica. Truth is, I think a lot of us bought the M8 "in spite of" the loud shutter and secretly resent having to pay more to "fix" the camera. (Please understand, I don't think this is necessarily a rational or reasonable view, but I do think it's one that some people share.)

The odd thing is, Leica has (as yet) announced no plans to incorporate the new shutter into brand-new M8 cameras. So, for many who care about the shutter, the cost of buying a new M8 for use as a second or third body just went up by another $1800. Ouch.

Like Olof, I too would be very interested in hearing from anyone who wasn't able to take pictures because s/he found the "old" M8 to be an inadequate tool.

Sota.

Me - I work professionaly and was able to get wonderful concert shots with the M7 sitting in the front row of the Purcell Rooms in London and disturbing no one. (Tord Gustavsen Trio). I can't work in the same way with the M8. Sure, I can get good shots with the M8 IMHO - and better than film in terms of image quality (Tord Gustavsen Trio, but I have to do this during sound check, not during concert. The shutter / re-cock noise of the M8 disturbs artists and audience in quiet spaces. OK - I can still shoot with the M7 - but I don't want to have to because I can't deliver the product my client needs using this tool.

Best

You believe that $75/month is a reasonable fee for two years of extended warranty on a 10 megapixel retro-style digital camera?

I love New York.

Ken, I only got this thing to wear around my neck as jewelry. your forgetting the sapphire glass... serious bling!

I think we would all like to hear why you got into Leica Digital in the first place.

I think that right now, there are a lot of unanswered questions as to what are we getting every time you announce an upgrade in terms of tiers of value? Is there a breakdown of a more A La Carte way of getting what you want?

For the moment, I have to look at the fact that if this were just a new model and I had to upgrade the regular way, would I feel this particular feature set would be worthy of the hassle of selling and upgrading?

For even $1,500, I have to say, it is a little lacking in terms of what is truly needed to upgrade this camera to any significant degree.

The new firmware worked, I have to say thanks for that at least...

I'll pass for now and see what actually happens.

In regards to the stop bellyaching people. This is the shutter that should have been in the camera in the first place. When I make a mistake on a job and have to spend more time shooting I do not charge the people more for my mistake. this is what Leica is doing charging us over and over again for there mistakes 100 to 150 dollars for uv ir filters and now a shutter and screen that will also scratch. Gee Thanks Leica. I wonder how many of you who are very happy are now pros, just guys with a nice hobby. David

Me - I work professionaly and was able to get wonderful concert shots with the M7 sitting in the front row of the Purcell Rooms in London and disturbing no one. (Tord Gustavsen Trio). I can't work in the same way with the M8. Sure, I can get good shots with the M8 IMHO - and better than film in terms of image quality (Tord Gustavsen Trio, but I have to do this during sound check, not during concert. The shutter / re-cock noise of the M8 disturbs artists and audience in quiet spaces. OK - I can still shoot with the M7 - but I don't want to have to because I can't deliver the product my client needs using this tool.

Best

...in your particular case, Chris, I would ask some very salient questions regarding the specifics of the noise reduction claimed with the upgrade. Funky graphics and media files may look or sound good, but they will simply not suffice. Good luck.

In regards to the stop bellyaching people. This is the shutter that should have been in the camera in the first place. When I make a mistake on a job and have to spend more time shooting I do not charge the people more for my mistake. this is what Leica is doing charging us over and over again for there mistakes 100 to 150 dollars for uv ir filters and now a shutter and screen that will also scratch. Gee Thanks Leica. I wonder how many of you who are very happy are now pros, just guys with a nice hobby. David

When you bought your M8, did you not buy it knowing what the shutter sounded like? If it was such a "mistake" on Leica's part, why did you buy it? If you didn't know ahead of time, you should have because there was considerable discussion here about the shutter noise and feel. A small amount of pre-purchase investigating would have turned up all the information one could hope for on the subject. And if you got it without knowing any of that, certainly you had the choice of returning it as unsatisfactory. Why didn't you?

If the choice for Leica was to just keep the current shutter and do nothing, or develop a new one and give it free to everyone with an M8, what do you think they would have done? I can guarantee you, there would not be this upgrade. Businesses don't remain solvent by having their R&D teams conjure up free product improvements.

By the way, I'm a pro and use the M8 for as much of my work as possible.

a potential twist is that if you do not upgrade, the re-sale will be impacted, as the second owner cannot upgrade according to the current offer

I am sure some of you will run for the upgrade! Ridiculous, their money won't buy good pictures, neither talent. Next upgrade: no backfocus. What price?

I am equally sure a lot of people here will not get the upgrade, but will continue to wail incessantly about the noisy, rough shutter, their scratched screens and the fact that the warranty has expired on their cameras.

If some of us want to "throw our money away" on this upgrade, what business is it of yours or anyone else's. Maybe you should applaud us for doing our part to keep the company solvent. How many ways are there to say, "If you don't want it, don't get it?"

The screen will scratch and if you bought the camera in dec in the u.s. and got the 3 year warranty now in august you send it in do you lose 3 months of warranty? This is a bad joke do not worship a company but demand proper service new shutter for free since this shutter that came with it is a mistake.

The screen will scratch and if you bought the camera in dec in the u.s. and got the 3 year warranty now in august you send it in do you lose 3 months of warranty? This is a bad joke do not worship a company but demand proper service new shutter for free since this shutter that came with it is a mistake.

Well, you can do the demanding and let us know where it gets you. I'll do the upgrade and then we'll compare results.

Nobody is "worshiping" anything here--just making a decision about a product purchase. Simple as that.

There is so much bile flying around this thread, I think some people need to get their gall bladders checked and upgraded as necessary.

Nobody is forcing people to get the M8 upgrade; you get it if you need it and/or think its worth it.

All things considered the price seems quite fair, bearing in mind the amount of work involved.

HI Brent and everyone else

Be a sheep or demand good service. Anyone want to start a petition how about a retired pro who has a little time?

HI Brent and everyone else

Be a sheep or demand good service. Anyone want to start a petition how about a retired pro who has a little time?

Uh, okay David. I guess you win.

Oh? doesn't it work as it should? And re noise: didn't you fire the camera once in the period you could return it in? You should have done so forthwith if the shutter is faulty.

You make me think of the old joke about the Chinese that got a raise: He glared at his boss and said "You cheat me long time!"

With apologies to our Chinese friends...Feel free to make any joke about Dutchmen:)

Ken, I only got this thing to wear around my neck as jewelry. your forgetting the sapphire glass... serious bling!

I think we would all like to hear why you got into Leica Digital in the first place.

So, whoever you are, I gather by your rhetorical deflection that you feel that $75/month is a fair warranty premium for a $5,500 camera? (Yes, I know it includes a grease job, etc. That's irrelevant.)

But to be fair, I don't believe that Leica has actually announced the official price for this "upgrade", have they? So it could be, what, $100? Bwahahaha!

More then one person has had shutter problems. Leica knows that the audience for there camera the professionals, that is wanted a quiet camera. So now they are going to let up pay 1800 for what should have been there in the first place. UV ir filters are needed. The best lenses on the film cameras that made leica famous no longer work properly the 35 1.4 aspheical and the noctilux.

I've shot about 7,000-8000 photos with my M8. The shutter has fired each and every time -- exactly as I expected it to.

Would I like it to be quieter? Sure. And I may eventually pay for the upgrade. I certainly like having the option.

But just because there is an option - that doesn't mean the orginal is faulty or broken.

More then one person has had shutter problems. Leica knows that the audience for there camera the professionals, that is wanted a quiet camera. So now they are going to let up pay 1800 for what should have been there in the first place. UV ir filters are needed. The best lenses on the film cameras that made leica famous no longer work properly the 35 1.4 aspheical and the noctilux.

100% agree with you David. Now I am sure there will be fotografr to explain us that we knew, we're free and let's not complain and adore the Leica god!

I Love using my M8, but I don't like a company treating clients like suckers, even when they are so.