Sign in to follow this  
bebert

Is it a joke?

You believe that $75/month is a reasonable fee for two years of extended warranty on a 10 megapixel retro-style digital camera?

I love New York.

Yeah, but don't forget the "free" shutter replacement and "free" CLA (and, having just had one done on my M6--they are NOT cheap)

Also keep in mind that the average Nikon or Canon "upgrade" is much more compelling than a new LCD screen cover and a quieter shutter.

The Canon 20D was replaced by the 30D. Difference? A larger LCD. When the 40D came along to replace the 30D, one of the major differences was, again, a larger screen.

The new shutter is not being touted as just quieter. It is also smoother. It's probably going to give those of us who shoot available light an additional f stop. To me, that is very significant.

Want to talk about warranties?

You believe that $75/month is a reasonable fee for two years of extended warranty on a 10 megapixel retro-style digital camera?

I love New York.

I guess that makes your decision very easy. You won't get the upgrade, which will make it easier for someone else (me?) to get theirs.

I just don't understand why anyone would be upset about this development. If you don't think it's a good deal, don't do it.

Personaly, I think the price of a noctilux is crazy, so I won't buy one. But I'm not going to criticize the company for producing the lens.

If you've been around Leica for very long, you know their products aren't cheap. They never have been and probably never will be.

This is like getting upset with a dog because it barks. That's just what dogs do. People bothered by it should, perhaps, get a cat instead.

I think the concept is great. It makes the M8 an investment and not a throw-away camera. I may or may not upgrade as the LCD and sound level are not a problem with me. However I appreciate the opportunity and the additional two years of warranty is very appealing.

Cheers, Dan

Those who won't choose this first upgrade, how will they do if they want the next one? Will they have to get both in the same time?

The fact that Leica seems to be preparing its mechanical staff to do upgrades makes me suspect that the M9 (and maybe the R10) may be a good distance down the road yet. They did well with the M8, but it's not like they have bushels of money to throw around; and I doubt that they'd be training staff to do the new upgrade if they believed that staff would be necessary to work on inevitable problems that crop up with a new camera. Like maybe no announcements until Photokina 2010 or 2012?

JC

Guest tummydoc
it's not like they have bushels of money to throw around

Not until March anyway

I guess that makes your decision very easy. You won't get the upgrade, which will make it easier for someone else (me?) to get theirs.

Absolutely, Brent! Please feel free to take my place in the Leica tithing line.

The fact that Leica seems to be preparing its mechanical staff to do upgrades makes me suspect that the M9 (and maybe the R10) may be a good distance down the road yet. They did well with the M8, but it's not like they have bushels of money to throw around; and I doubt that they'd be training staff to do the new upgrade if they believed that staff would be necessary to work on inevitable problems that crop up with a new camera. Like maybe no announcements until Photokina 2010 or 2012?

JC

JC, this is a good point.

I don't think we see an M9 until Leica can completely solve the technology issues experienced in the M8 (UV/IR being on top of the list, along with ISO noise). When they can find a sensor full frame or otherwise that can lead them into the next iteration of digital camera I am sure they will move quickly to bring the M9 to market. Nikon has just introduced a full frame DSLR and they have many more resources at their fingertips than Leica AG.

I don't follow the R series bodies but no doubt something GOOD is in the wind, and I agree likely not until Photokina will we have an inkling of that direction.

All things inperspective - for a small company they have done extremely well in 2007/2008 with the introduction of the SUMMARIT line of lenses and a very cool upgrade path for the M8.

Best to all. Terry.

I'm having a hard time seeing how new LCD glass and a shutter suggests an "upgrade path."

Very few electronic products today are truly upgradeable. It's motherboards, circuitry, connectors, design implementation, and electronics in general that are superceded by better technology. That's why we normally can't just drop a new processor into our two-year old PC. Sometimes you can, but it's almost always better to replace the system.

Maybe Leica has true upgradeability in mind. But to me this sounds like marketing hype.

John

,,,,, and the reality is that none of us really need all this gear to take shots of the neighbour's moggy so we can send the picture to the local council and demand that it gets put down

LMAO:D

Why ? Is here anybody who wasnt able to make a picture because he only has 10 MP ?

Like Olof, I too would be very interested in hearing from anyone who wasn't able to take pictures because s/he found the "old" M8 to be an inadequate tool.

Sota.

LOL. Some of you are so gear-hungry. Just because there's an upgrade available does not mean you have to go buy it. I don't need any of the upgrades in the current offering, except the new firmware for better WB - and that's free.

Perfectly said... I repeat that it's the announced strategy in itself that is interesting, not the content of this 1st upgrade, that can or cannot be of interest for a certain user... I recognize my M8 is noisier than my M4... but I'm not a pro, the noise isn't disturbing for me, so I don't like to put money on the issue... others can have a different perception of the issue... it's simple.

Leica put a shutter that was not suited to an M series camera and now want us to pay for there mistake . I have been told that the screens are the same material in the canon 1 d series, well folks they do scratch. I feel like I am new to a city and the guy on the sidewalk says want to buy a rolex.

I think all in all the package seems alright. If I consider what I have to pay to get another year of warranty for my Epson 3800 and what Apple asks me to pay for a "Care and Protection Plan", I can only come to the conclusion that a 2-year warranty plus a new shutter plus a very trustable reinforcement of the display-glass is worth the try.

Absolutely, Brent! Please feel free to take my place in the Leica tithing line.

My pleasure. Consider yourself replaced.

The "joke" around here is all the bellyaching and whining going on because of a service being offered that noone is being forced to avail themselves of. This is just nuts! Don't want it? DON'T GET IT. How hard is this?