Leica M8 announcement questions

Guest guy_mancuso

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest guy_mancuso

That is what i hope to hear and was told it was. The 1/180 flash sync is actually workable . I rarely even use 1/250 so that part is not as bad as i originally thought it would be but i still would like to see the ISO drop to 80 so i can pick up that lost stop for the wide open work, sometime for me in this light in Arizona I am really on the edge of overblowing it.

IMHO i think this is the first of many upgrade paths. If this one is not for you than there maybe something better. Electronic frame lines and a FF sensor would be sucking out my CC right now from my wallet and i would volunteer my bodies to be first to have it.

Guy - now that we've got the official announcements and the sound recordings there's more clarity. BUT, still really grateful for your hands on experience PLUS the question to Leica is:

"Will it be possible to have a firmware option with the new shutter upgrade to DELAY recocking?" For many users who work in really quiet environments this is essential. The process will then be:

1/ frame / expose

2/ bring camera down from eye with finger still on the shutter release and put under bag on lap or jacket or whatever

3/ release and recock.

I always used to do this with film Ms - the sound of mechanical winding on can be a distraction during quiet passages in a concert. I REALLY want to be able to do this when I use the M8. This has to be a golden opportunity to get it right this time round. As an alternative implementation, I for one would be perfectly happy to have no multi-shot option and for this switch to be used for quiet mode. You could then have a fast option - the Leica M8-f and a quiet option - the M8-q, with the new shutter, the delayed recock and any other ways they could think of keeping the noise down.

The more I describe it the more I want it. GREAT if you could bat this around with the guys from Leica.

Best

Guest guy_mancuso

Great questions guys. Okay i will present all of this in the thread. tell me though is there a easy way to compile the whole thread into like a PDF form . Than i can edit out posts like this that make no sense for them. This way the can add answers to the questions and hopefully do what we did last year and post them as a FAQ. for the upgrade. I'm shutting down my main computer tomorrow for the workshop to take so like to try and get it all done in morning or so Friday. Thanks everyone for your input here. This is good stuff

More, Guy! If these are already in the mix, I apologize, but I couldn't waste time reading all the ranters wanting to tell Leica what they wanted, rather than asking questions about THIS specific upgrade.

1. U.S. price (where there is no VAT). If they don't want to commit to a dollar price, given its vagaries, have them tell us the Euro price WITHOUT VAT included, please. e.g 1200 euros minus the tax portion = what?

2. Or WILL U.S. customers be charged the VAT??! And if so, can we recover it, as residents of a non-Euro region?

3. When will the upgraded items start being included in production cameras?

4. Will future firmware upgrades be all-inclusive (i.e. the same code works on any camera, and figures out which shutter is installed) or will there be separate firmware "tracks" in future for upgraded or original cameras.

5. What are the odds of getting a new set of framelines thrown in with the shutter/LCD glass? (pretty please?)

Have a good trip, say "Hi!" to Linda, and - oh yeah - check out the new shutter sound - there is supposed to be a camera with the new shutter available for comparisons at the Leica counter.

Great questions guys. Okay i will present all of this in the thread. tell me though is there a easy way to compile the whole thread into like a PDF form . Than i can edit out posts like this that make no sense for them. This way the can add answers to the questions and hopefully do what we did last year and post them as a FAQ. for the upgrade. I'm shutting down my main computer tomorrow for the workshop to take so like to try and get it all done in morning or so Friday. Thanks everyone for your input here. This is good stuff

If you click on "Thread Tools" at the top, there is an option to show a printable version, and from there another option to view 200 posts on one page. You can then cut and paste all of it into TextEdit (on OSX) and it will keep all the formatting.

Oh, and don't suppose you can ask them if there are any plans for a new flash on the horizon?

Put me down as another person interested in more accurate framelines for more distant subjects.

I think Leica would get more takers if they add in a few more options---say a choice of three different skins. It would cost next to nothing with the old ones already off, and help rationalize the expense.

Thanks,

Clyde