Leica M8 announcement questions

Guest guy_mancuso

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So how long will the upgrade take? Is the shipping expedited? Can you get Leica A La Carte requests done at the same time, like engravings or changing the dot?

I'm afraid to send it in because mine has worked great since I got it last February. No problems at all. I feel lucky and don't want to send it back and have it get infected with all those problems we hear about.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As someone who simply can't afford to drop another $1800 every time an upgrade comes along, I'd like to know if we will be able to pick and choose the upgrades we feel offer significant improvements, or if subsequent upgrades will require that previous upgrades also be installed. I'm afraid that if a series of expensive upgrades are required, I'll be forced to consider a more affordable alternative.

Bill

Can Leica make available sound recordings of unmodified and modified cameras for a range of shutter speeds working in identical circumstances.

Bob.

Yes yes yes.

Given that the upgrades are to be done in the order the certificates are bought, I'd want to know what the new shutter will sound like before plunking down my money and then having to wait several months before the work can be done. Hopefully we won't actually be charged until the work is begun.

This upgrade thing makes me think about this story:

- Mom, give, please, FIVE dollars

- WHAT?! Do you want FOUR dollars?! Why do you want THREE dollars if with TWO you have enough? I give you ONE and give me back the change.

:( :( :(

1. What does Leica think why anyone would spend a substantial amount of money 6 months prior to the availability of an improvement of the shutter they call "quieter" without having a chance to find out just what that might mean? Particularly since we all know that it isn't the shutter that makes the noise.

2. Does Leica really and seriously expect me to spend my money in March, then wait till the beginning of the upgrade program in August, then wait for an unknown period of time till it is my turn, and then wait for how long till my camera returns updated?

3. In the meantime, what does Leica intend to do about numerous electronic malfunctions of the M8 like venetian blinds, madly scrolling menus, hopping pictures during picture browsing, more or less frequent camera lock-ups in single mode, and camera lock-ups combined with image loss in continuous mode? Will they repair and exchange bodies indefinitely without resolving these issues or will the upgrades actually contribute to making the M8 a fully working camera?

4. Does Leica continue to think that a digital rangefinder with the fastest and best prime lenses of the world is mainly used for doing close-up work at a distance of 0.7 to 1.0 m? Or are they considering providing a viewfinder upgrade which enables M8 users to frame normal pictures without either guessing or using external finders from other manufacturers? In short, will they provide accurate frame lines like they did in the 1950s?

Thank you very much for taking the trouble to convey our thoughts and questions to Leica! This is very much appreciated!

3. In the meantime, what does Leica intend to do about numerous electronic malfunctions of the M8 like venetian blinds, madly scrolling menus, hopping pictures during picture browsing, more or less frequent camera lock-ups in single mode, and camera lock-ups combined with image loss in continuous mode? Will they repair and exchange bodies indefinitely without resolving these issues or will the upgrades actually contribute to making the M8 a fully working camera?

Yes, this addresses major issues with the camera. I don't care much about new and improved features before solving old problems, epecially when it might cost about $1800 six months in advance.

How about addressing the unacceptable noise above ISO 320? Only cheap little point-and-shoots show noise as bad as the M8 in that ISO range.

Helene

Yes, this addresses major issues with the camera. I don't care much about new and improved features before solving old problems, epecially when it might cost about $1800 six months in advance.

How about addressing the unacceptable noise above ISO 320? Only cheap little point-and-shoots show noise as bad as the M8 in that ISO range.

Helene

That is not true. Far from it.

Noise behavior of M8 is very close to my Canon 1ds mk2. I compared it many times, since I work with both at the same time...

I would like more specific information about the new "low noise" shutter. The cureent units seem to vary from camera to camera. My first M-8 with the earliest software has reasonably quiet shutter. The second unit, which Leica replaced, sounds like a 747.

When will Lerica address the focus accuracy issue and the inaccuracy of framelines?

If nothing else is on the horizon,a quiet shutter that matches my M6s would be a Godsend.

Guy

I would appreciate a firmware solution for uncoded lenses. Olympus has updated firmware which enables lens recognition in their newer cameras and doesn't tell their customers they are too stupid for such a feature.

Speaking of Olympus, their dustbuster requires an extra piece of glass in front of the sensor which I don't think Leica will ever want. Besides I find the sensor of the M8 so much easier to reach than that of my Oly DSLR was that I don't really mind.

I don't know if you can wring the info out of them, but would the slower shutter have a longer life expectancy?

maurice

Perhaps a bit nit-picky....

Just got my estimate from NJ to replace a broken cover glass - $300.00 and 6 to 8 weeks.

If I go ahead, will I get the "NEW" glass or am I expected to accept an "OLD" glass and hope to get the camera back in time to sign up for my Upgrade and the option of paying more money to get the "NEW" glass at that time?

And Leica wonders why some people are getting a little tired of dealing with these things?

At one time this was a company that reveled in the facts that they were both the makers of a magnificant machine and enjoyed an intensely loyal group of users.

The idea of an upgrade path is very interesting, the M8 is a good if not excellent camera, the lenes are incredible (new and old), but the service and repair system is often ridiculous.

This needs to be addressed.

Butch