M8 Upgrade - It's Official!

elviskennedy

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I understand this is an upgrade for all M8s including new ones. The M8 remains the same.

I thinking that this makes second hand M8s more attractive than new ones e.g., buy a second hand camera, get the upgrade and get a new 2 year warranty plus maintennance check.

M

exactly my thinking. So much so that after considering a second used body for some time, I picked one up on ebay today. Happened to be a great deal but the upgrade option with warranty was a big factor.....Peter

Or is the "full frame" in the upgrade for August? That would be cool for the $ 1800.- dollar price.

Yes it would!!!

But (as I've suggested elsewhere): What if the full-frame upgrade were discovered to require the original 1/8000 shutter? :D

--HC

An idea for Leica would be to upgrade any M. Not just the M8. If, with the new technology that's come along in recent years, they can squeeze some electronics into an old M body then imagine all the upgrades they'd get. I'd much rather use my M3 body than the M8 with all its plastic buttons. Or even better would be if they could squeeze an APS sized sensor into a screwmount body. Imagine a digital IIIf

I think the only part of that 'upgrade' that would be worth paying for is a quieter shutter.

The current one is louder than some of my cameras that have mirrors flapping about inside, aka SLRs. Paying the 'price' of one stop of shutter speed for some peace and quite should be no problem at all. I can't really find much value in shutter speeds of 1/4000 or 1/8000 of a second. I can't remember the last time I made an image at even 1/1000 of a second.

Does anyone else find those sound files suspect; like pictures of UFO sightings? Both files sound the same, the very same, when I lower the volume on the 'before' file. I find it hard to believe that a re-engineered shutter is going to sound exactly the same as the old one, save only for a lower volume level. Until I can hear the new shutter inside a camera, pressed to my face, I have to regard those files like true photographs of UFOs or ghosts and my money stays at the bottom of my deepest pocket!

At least Leica is offering such a thing as an 'upgrade' to a digital camera. At present, the duration of a fruit fly's life cycle exceeds the half-life of every other digital camera body ever made.

Best regards to all

on the Forum

• 4 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So let me see if I got this straight.. The actual initial click will be quieter but the whole baloney of the whirl after will be still there as before? It's that whirl after the click that I believe is the real problem.

I agree. The whirl gotsta go! I'll take the click over the whirl any day. That will also save you the money on an upgrade you can put towards glass. Just my 2 cents.

Unfortunately they skip an important information: HOW MUCH IS IT?

This i an old new. Actually I heard rumours about Leica stopping any M8 upgrade except for the screen glass and the quiet shutter that in the end will cost the customer around 750-800 euros or, i suppose, 1000 USD.

A new firmware update seems to be issued in the end of june (that should be now!). What it will fix up i still don't know. Maybe some noise on high ASA pictures but nobody knows.

IMHO, Leica's upgrades policies are as usual someway vague.

A new firmware update seems to be issued in the end of june (that should be now!). What it will fix up i still don't know. Maybe some noise on high ASA pictures but nobody knows.

IMHO, Leica's upgrades policies are as usual someway vague.

Where did you hear about a new firmware update?

thanks