No M9, Only M8-2

sdai

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Haven't seen so much hot air since the ballon festival!

Your right, and I am sorry to add to it, just couldn't help myself.

And it should have read:

Someone is clearly becoming "inebriated by the exuberance of their own verbosity..."

Wouldn't want it to seem as though I was claiming these wonderful words as being my own.

P;)

I'd rather keep my money till they really produce something more ground breaking. Really, I know it's only speculation at the moment, but with lots of us having been beta testers for the first batch of M8's I think the least thing they could do is fix the outstanding issues surrounding White Balance, Jpegs and the other minor things before offering an upgrade to a camera they haven't finished yet.

I have no intention of upgrading although if the rumor of 2 extra years of warranty is true that might be tempting fate. I'm pretty sure as night follows day once the 2 year warranty is up on my M8 something will go wrong and it'll cost a lot more than €1200 to fix. I'll have to make a judgement call on that as things become clearer.

If Leica is reading this.... All I have to say, unless there is a earth shattering development in Digital M photography, you won't be getting any more income from me on new body sales. I'm quite content with what I have, it serves me well, does the job nicely in a discreet package with good quality.

M9 "me arse!" :D

I agree with this.

Having just sent my M8 off to Solms to have it fixed for a red line in the middle of the picture, I have some thoughts. What will be the next? To by two extra years of warranty is indeed tempting. The warranty on my M8 runs out in April... Like pre buying 'camera health care'. - And keeping Leica healthy at the same time. I

Your right, and I am sorry to add to it, just couldn't help myself.

And it should have read:

Someone is clearly becoming "inebriated by the exuberance of their own verbosity..."

Wouldn't want it to seem as though I was claiming these wonderful words as being my own.

P;)

LOL it wasn't aimed at you.

Guest guy_mancuso

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Today being Tuesday there is probably a big marketing meeting going on in Vegas and since I have yet to receive the press releases, I am going to assume they are in meetings on there marketing plan for PMA and writing the press releases. Did the same thing last year so being 2:40 here in Phoenix there is still some hope for today. Let's see what develops on this. i have a feeling even if this is true there is a lot missing on what you get and don't get. First off saying no M9 needs to be qualified as to there is no M9 at PMA announcement , that I agree but that does not mean there is not one for Photokinia and that whole statement needs to be written better. Frankly if that was the press release it was very badly worded and very badly described. There are many questions to that website announcement and also no one else has said a word from any other dealer in the last 5 hours i was at a funeral. So it may very well be bogus. Usually when there is a announcement at a show like PMA the world press get's it at the same time and since there are no other reports than I tend to doubt this plus there are other announcements coming from Leica and where are they. and honestly I got e-mails from Solms and leica NJ executives this morning if the releases where ready i would have the info and i don't and they know i would post them on LUF and GetDPi right away becuase i told them i would for them. so let's see what comes and not get to worked over about this seems very strange one place announced this. Just my gut feelings on this.

It is the time at Las Vegas that counts... not the time at Solms...

Leica's marketing staff must be in the USA now...

Ah ... since the PMA is at Vegas it would be most appropriate for announcements to appear on YouTube. Is anyone monitoring that?

As Guy says, it's even earlier there (that may, in fact, be a truism: it's always ealier in Vegas....).

Guest guy_mancuso

I know for a fact most of the Leica NJ folks are in Vegas that normally attend the PMA show. I wish I had more info and i wish i could talk about something else but until it is out my hands are tied. Sorry for that, it's frustrating for me too.

I know for a fact most of the Leica NJ folks are in Vegas that normally attend the PMA show. I wish I had more info and i wish i could talk about something else but until it is out my hands are tied. Sorry for that, it's frustrating for me too.

S'alright. We'll wait for Solms in the morning.

Regards,

Bill

::shakes fist at Guy's NDA::

:p;)

It is the time at Las Vegas that counts... not the time at Solms...

PMA starts tomorrow, 1/30, I think. That's soon enough.

Someone said above 'go back to a fabric curtain.' Apparently can't be done with speeds over 1/1000. Fabric-shutter M's aren't that accurate at 1/1000 sec anyway.

Dropping speed to improve the camera? Think Hasselblad: 1600F, 1000F, 500C. As the camera matured, its shutter speed dropped from 1/1600 to 1/1000 to 1/500.

Cost: Early cameras were $4000. Currently, M8's are selling for $5500. The conversion will likely be a little lower in the US for marketing reasons, so basically we're being given a chance to upgrade and extend our warranty by two years just by putting into the camera the total retail value of a new one.

Someone asked if the new M8's bought later this year will need the modification. My assumption is that they will be quietly whisked off dealers' shelves and upgraded, just as was done with the first batch of M8's with stripes and spots.

Warranty: You're getting a new camera warranty and a like-new model for only 1/3 the cost of the new body.

Talk about modular: If Leica comes out with a new upgradable feature every 18 months or so, we can just send in our cameras and keep them perpetually under warranty.

Slower shutter: Would also likely reduce the amount of lubricant deposited on the sensor.

And the best part is that we don't have to do it if we don't want to.

This all sounds like a joke, Easter is very early this year but does this also include April 1st.

Some of us are members of other forums and can hear the hoots of laughter now. Read it all very carefully, ask yourself is this possible without major surgery? and is the price quoted realistic when Leica want a second mortgage to code lenses or to fast track repairs.

I love the M8 ... BUT for goodness sake when will they get off their collective fat a...s ( British Spelling ) do something or communicate with the people who are keeping them afloat. They now seem to want to extract the maximum from people who have been loyal for many years.

I have no desire to run a charity, I therefore, am reviewing as to whether to go back, or jump ship altogether. It is not my living, its a hobby and the gap between the marks is growing ever smaller. The only thing that, to my mind, keeps it going is ,size and weight that meet my present needs.

How much can I realise on my M8 and a batch of lenses?????

I have a feeling by morning this will all be out and official one way or the other.

It's alright, Guy, we don't mind that you don't know. We'll just wait for more detailed announcements from the normal channels.

Regards,

Bill

Guest guy_mancuso
I stand by what I said with regards to David Stephens. Maybe, just maybe, news about Leica can come from a small shop in England rather than Phoenix?

David would not post a falsehood.

We'll see. ;)

Andy you maybe very correct but it does seem odd that only 1 source is reporting this. And when they release the data it will be all over the net in many forms. Because the world press will have it in there hands and Leica will update there site too. I was told they will send me press releases when there ready for me to update my site and also for here but who cares where it comes from as long as it is official that is all that matters. Personally if this is the upgrade as it stands i won't be doing it myself. I want 1/8000 on my bodies no matter how noisy it maybe. I understand some folks may jump on it for a lower noise shutter

Guest tummydoc

Dropping speed to improve the camera? Think Hasselblad: 1600F, 1000F, 500C. As the camera matured, its shutter speed dropped from 1/1600 to 1/1000 to 1/500.

Nice try but the facts don't support such an analogy. The 1600F and 1000F were FP-shutter bodies. The 1600F's top speed was wholly undependable and in fact rarely made it past 1/1000, furthermore the setting made the shutter rather unreliable. Dialing it back to 1000 allowed it to operate more reliably overall. When the modern Hasselblad lensmount was offered on a FP-shutter body, the 2000 and later 200 series, all of them had electrically-timed shutters with a quite accurate top speed of 1/2000, with the exception of the 201F which topped-out at 1/1000. The 500-series was limited to 1/500 not as an improvement but as a result of the limitations of using a mechanical leaf-shutter which provided a much-faster flash synchronisation with early electronic strobes which were beginning to become popular when the 500C was released in 1957.

Cost: Early cameras were $4000. Currently, M8's are selling for $5500. The conversion will likely be a little lower in the US for marketing reasons, so basically we're being given a chance to upgrade and extend our warranty by two years just by putting into the camera the total retail value of a new one.

Early cameras were $4800, not $4000. Adding $1500 (the actual conversion of 1200 euros today is $1764) would put the total outlay at $6300, or $800 over retail. If a new M8 with the upgrades will retail for the same $5500, one could sell one's year-old M8 for $4000 (about what they've been going for on ebay recently) and for the same $1500 buy a brand-new M8. Of course we don't know whether the price will stay the same or go up, and by how much. What is certain is that anyone who recently purchased an M8 for $5500 is not going to fare as well.

Someone asked if the new M8's bought later this year will need the modification. My assumption is that they will be quietly whisked off dealers' shelves and upgraded, just as was done with the first batch of M8's with stripes and spots.

If so, and Leica doesn't raise the price by as much as the cost of upgrading, one might as well sell their current M8 and buy a new one. I doubt that the lack of a sapphire LCD screen and the disadvantage (:D ) of a higher top shutter speed will cause the bottom to drop out of the second-hand market.

Warranty: You're getting a new camera warranty and a like-new model for only 1/3 the cost of the new body.

Talk about modular: If Leica comes out with a new upgradable feature every 18 months or so, we can just send in our cameras and keep them perpetually under warranty.

Actually, an ingenious plan would be to have a cafeteria-style upgrade. That is, the customer can choose which options he does or does not want. Just the LCD, just the slower shutter...or, just send the camera in for a complete going-over and recertification with 2 years of warranty extension. All at varying fees depending on what's requested.

Slower shutter: Would also likely reduce the amount of lubricant deposited on the sensor.

That assertion is analagous to putting a speed governor on a car with faulty brakes in order to mitigate the maximum force with which it can crash. Many DSLRs have equally-high top speeds and do not spew lubricant onto the sensors. The only reasons lubricant ends up on the sensor is either that the lubricant chosen doesn't properly adhere to the blades; or more likely since the problem tends to be self-limiting over time, too much of it was applied.

And the good part is that we don't have to do it if we don't want to.

Actually, thus far the good part is it's still a rumour :D