No M9, Only M8-2

sdai

BTW it's 2:30PM CST now, so that makes it, um, 9:30PM in Solms? Does Leica have a night shift or can we confidently say a Tuesday announcement is probably not forthcoming?

Why do you need to ask? You stated that you have high connections at Leica, surely you at least know what time it is there. Also if you are paying $1200 per tire you are getting seriously ripped off.

Whenever someone expresses the desire for some improvement, it seems a standard reply is "oh you want the camera to think for you".

It seems that if the point of Leica is all of its superlatives (craftsmanship, lens quality, etc.), then there should be room for more superlatives. Why not have superlative frame lines? Because then the camera would think for you? :confused:

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'd rather keep my money till they really produce something more ground breaking. Really, I know it's only speculation at the moment, but with lots of us having been beta testers for the first batch of M8's I think the least thing they could do is fix the outstanding issues surrounding White Balance, Jpegs and the other minor things before offering an upgrade to a camera they haven't finished yet.

I have no intention of upgrading although if the rumor of 2 extra years of warranty is true that might be tempting fate. I'm pretty sure as night follows day once the 2 year warranty is up on my M8 something will go wrong and it'll cost a lot more than €1200 to fix. I'll have to make a judgement call on that as things become clearer.

If Leica is reading this.... All I have to say, unless there is a earth shattering development in Digital M photography, you won't be getting any more income from me on new body sales. I'm quite content with what I have, it serves me well, does the job nicely in a discreet package with good quality.

M9 "me arse!" :D

Guest Bernd Banken
Vinay - are you telling me I want the camera to do the work for me - yo - step off. I know exactly what I am doing with this camera! And I know the frame lines suck. I know they don't change randomly! I have been shooting with Leica M cameras for 10+ years. The frames are better - more accurate for normal distance shooting, say 2-3 meters, on the M4-P, which I own, the M7 which I own, and the M6TTL which I used to own.

Why don't you take a look at my website and tell me I let the camera do the work for me.

I happen to like the M8 in just about every way except the frame lines.

Jonathan Elderfield Photography

Jonathan,

your photographs nail the moment, chapeau!

Cheers

Bernd

A key point for such an upgrade, as it has been said before, is some change in sensor and/or processor, for better handling of noise at higher ISO values. Moreover, the tonal resolution should be expanded (a better scheme of compression than the 8-bit sampling) and the DR could be improved too...

The new achromatic pattern patented by Kodak can bring all those improvements...

I'd rather keep my money till they really produce something more ground breaking. Really, I know it's only speculation at the moment, but with lots of us having been beta testers for the first batch of M8's I think the least thing they could do is fix the outstanding issues surrounding White Balance, Jpegs and the other minor things before offering an upgrade to a camera they haven't finished yet.

I have no intention of upgrading although if the rumor of 2 extra years of warranty is true that might be tempting fate. I'm pretty sure as night follows day once the 2 year warranty is up on my M8 something will go wrong and it'll cost a lot more than €1200 to fix. I'll have to make a judgement call on that as things become clearer.

If Leica is reading this.... All I have to say, unless there is a earth shattering development in Digital M photography, you won't be getting any more income from me on new body sales. I'm quite content with what I have, it serves me well, does the job nicely in a discreet package with good quality.

M9 "me arse!" :D

Amen to everything stated above. Leica first needs to concentrate on the M8's existing flaws, serving the needs of its existing clientele.

A key point for such an upgrade, as it has been said before, is some change in sensor and/or processor, for better handling of noise at higher ISO values. Moreover, the tonal resolution should be expanded (a better scheme of compression than the 8-bit sampling) and the DR could be improved too...

The new achromatic pattern patented by Kodak can bring all those improvements...

Completely agree... it's a real opportunity to keep the M8 on the cutting edge of IQ

Having said that, I don't believe for a second that Leica will stop creating M8 base firmware, FWIW.

Well, if this turns out to be true I see this maybe happening:

A new screen ala the new Nikons. Would be a big improvement imo but hardly $1800 worth though it is a red dot product we're talking about.

Possibly a new shutter - a reworked cloth perhaps and a quieter motor? I think they got a lot of flack for this particuarly from the likes of Magnum shooters who don't really have to switch from their film Ms but probably would if quieter etc.

Firmware that implements the external iso and ev changes we've been wanting. As I see it Leica would only do this as a user requested upgrade because then they aren't liable for people making mistakes regarding changes that aren't in the original printed manual - would probably change out the back plate with new labels at same time. The new free FW update will probably be taking care of things such as AWB and jpeg compression etc.

A new sensor at that price might be a bit of a leap but we'll see. Yeah, the new Kodak with the set of clear pixels would be amazing - one would be able to then shoot at extremely high isos.

A thorough go through of the camera - maybe some upgrading of parts that are not sexy but is needed might be worth the trip and extra two years of warranty alone.

Anyway, this is all speculation at this point. Big question is could I be without the camera for 2 months (I was for three months total last year with repair and replacement time)?

Guest tummydoc
Why do you need to ask? You stated that you have high connections at Leica, surely you at least know what time it is there. Also if you are paying $1200 per tire you are getting seriously ripped off.

In the interest of forum etiquette I will respond ingenuously rather than make the assumption your comments were motivated by juvenile pettiness. From the numerous times I've telephoned Solms I believe they are 7 hours later than I am in CST but there are honestly a few more important things I must recall during the course of my day. And the $1200/tire figure was what someone told me the tires cost on a Corvette, and that they can't be rotated either. I never checked the veracity of those statements because I've never had to replace tires--which I clearly stated earlier BTW--thanks to 3-yr leases and short-distance driving.

Just for people here who don't know David Stephens, he is completely reliable and trustworthy, has recently regained his official Leica dealer status and would never publish anything on his website which wasn't legit.

I agree with your comment Andy,:confused: but I keep doing searches via Google etc and as of 8.30 pm uk time can find no other info regarding this.

Brian