No M9, Only M8-2

sdai

To me the most important thing here is the notion of the m8 as an upgradeable platform.

That is unique today among portable pro-body camera makers, and even if only from an ecological perspective, laudible.

I'd love to believe that they will continue to upgrade the M8 as new technology allows, and only release an M9 when there is a true reason to do so.

I fully agree with you Jamie!!!

I'd love to believe that they will continue to upgrade the M8 as new technology allows, and only release an M9 when there is a true reason to do so.

It would be, as said before in another thread, the most logical thing considering the history and the philosophy of the brand.

To me the most important thing here is the notion of the m8 as an upgradeable platform.

That is unique today among portable pro-body camera makers, and even if only from an ecological perspective, laudible.

From a philosophical (and ecological) standpoint, I agree entirely.

Well, Leica may well very shortly make me look like an idiot, but from a marketing perspective, I don't see any way a M8-2 with a spec like that is a good idea for them. Unless there are other changes - e.g., pixel count or high-iso performance goes up dramatically, it's a downgrade in specification. Or they just can't build the shutter. So no, I don't believe it.

Sandy

Vinay - are you telling me I want the camera to do the work for me - yo - step off. I know exactly what I am doing with this camera! And I know the frame lines suck. I know they don't change randomly! I have been shooting with Leica M cameras for 10+ years. The frames are better - more accurate for normal distance shooting, say 2-3 meters, on the M4-P, which I own, the M7 which I own, and the M6TTL which I used to own.

Why don't you take a look at my website and tell me I let the camera do the work for me.

I happen to like the M8 in just about every way except the frame lines.

Jonathan Elderfield Photography

Vinay - are you telling me I want the camera to do the work for me - yo - step off. I know exactly what I am doing with this camera! And I know the frame lines suck. I know they don't change randomly! I have been shooting with Leica M cameras for 10+ years. The frames are better - more accurate for normal distance shooting, say 2-3 meters, on the M4-P, which I own, the M7 which I own, and the M6TTL which I used to own.

Why don't you take a look at my website and tell me I let the camera do the work for me.

Jonathan, don't feed the troll.

Regards,

Bill

Guest Bernd Banken

If this news is true, Leica wants to get work for their labours in the clean-room after the wave of M8 sales is becoming smaller and smaller......:rolleyes:

Bernd

Interesting speculation, Bernd. Have to keep the labor force employed until you are able to produce an R10 or M9 down the road. Without a large R&D budget, you have to think creatively about how you can keep the revenue stream going. Even the Camera Wars warriors Nikon and Canon need several years to develop the next round of upgrades/updates.

Kurt

The ONLY and I mean ONLY upgrade that I NEED is the FRAME LINES!

Leica needs to do this now!.

Please Guy , Sean - TELL THEM AGAIN!

I was just at Arlington National Cemetery working on a project and missed some pictures due to the bad frame lines!

Jonathan

Exactly. The current framelines stink and it's the main reason why I haven't bought an M8, yet. A friend of mine actually just sold his M8, because if this exact issue.

At the very least Leica should offer an alternative mask for those of us who do 99% of their shooting at distances beyond 1 meter.

Guest tummydoc
The frames are better - more accurate for normal distance shooting, say 2-3 meters, on the M4-P, which I own, the M7 which I own, and the M6TTL which I used to own.

Prior to the M8 there were many, many threads on internet fora moaning and groaning and whining about the M4-P/M6/M7/MP framelines. Perhaps the M8 framelines are even worse, I don't dispute that. But M framelines always required the user to estimate from experience, and the only thing that has changed with the M8 is the amount. So I stand by my original comments, which were not a slight against your photography BTW, so you needn't have reacted with a knee-jerk defence.

I have to agree with Vinay for once. It is just a matter of getting to know the tool. I have been using M cameras for so long, that I know the field of view, with or without framelines. I hardly look at them, except when I feel lazy..... I see that it could be an issue for people less familiar with Leica M's, but it is really a matter of getting used to.

Im with you n the framelines. This should be part of the deal.

Vinay It makes me so sad that your tires cost that much. And I second the step off when it comes to telling others how to shoot. Yeah I'm sure the pics of your yacht are perfectly framed everytime due to all of your pj experience. God what a p......

The framelines are fixed, they don't change randomly by themselves from time to time. Similar to a gunsight that is calibrated to a certain specific target distance, the experienced shooter compensates by judgment. The better and more determined the shooter, the greater degree of accuracy he attains. Conversely the more he sits back lazily and expects the equipment to do his thinking for him, the more likely he is to be frustrated and blame the equipment and its manufacturer for his own inequity.

Errrr, no. The accuracy of the M8 framelines is a joke, even by rangefinder standards. With a 28mm they are barely acceptable, but other than that the framing accuracy is not even in the same ball park as something like an M4 or M2 or even the M6 based bodies.

I have been shooting M cameras on a daily basis for over 10 years and have never experienced the issues I have seen with the M8, with any other M body. ANd this is the reason why I have passed on the camera.

Just a few days ago Gary Knight went off about this very issue on another board and he's been shooting Leica M for what must be 20 plus years?

The better and more determined the shooter, the greater degree of accuracy he attains. Conversely the more he sits back lazily and expects the equipment to do his thinking for him, the more likely he is to be frustrated and blame the equipment and its manufacturer for his own inequity.

This is a joke, right? Did you even take the camera out of the box and use it? It must be that or you have no idea what you are looking at in the first place. This is not a matter of skill or commitment. It's a serious design flaw.

Guest tummydoc
Vinay, you really should trade-in that Hummer... I can see your tire dealer rubbing their hands in glee when you show up. "Another 4 tyres today, tummydoc?"

Mark

'Vette.

I have to agree with Vinay for once. It is just a matter of getting to know the tool. I have been using M cameras for so long, that I know the field of view, with or without framelines. I hardly look at them, except when I feel lazy..... I see that it could be an issue for people less familiar with Leica M's, but it is really a matter of getting used to.

Jaap - agreed - I can even frame with the 135 pretty accurately now :D . THE area where I've felt the benefit has been with the WATE Finder - this has revolutionised the way I've worked with the 21 and CV 15. I was at the point of abandoning them before I got the Frankenfinder - now they're indispensible.

Guest tummydoc

BTW it's 2:30PM CST now, so that makes it, um, 9:30PM in Solms? Does Leica have a night shift or can we confidently say a Tuesday announcement is probably not forthcoming?