No M9, Only M8-2

sdai

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Except that your 'classic' M8 will loose a lot on the 2nd hand market i'm afraid...

I couldn't care less. I am not planning to sell. I am planning to use them. Anything I don't want to sell is worth exactly nil on the secondhand market. If I want to buy something for selling I might consider stock. And lose a lot more in the process.

Buy a car - along comes a new model after two years - and you will have "lost" a whole bucketful of M8's in virtual money.

I just got off the 'phone with a major US stockist and he knows nothing about it, in fact he was completely incensed, fearing an angry backlash from recent purchasers.

Was he equally incensed and did he get a backlash from his Nikon customers when the D3 was announced ?

Digital camera life cycles are short and the M9 has been runoured for long enough all over the web an M8 II should cause no shock. I think the "he knows nothing" is the cause of his mood.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Or its the argument of a photographer who wants to sell his/her M8 Howard....

For instance to buy an M9...

LCT--

For some of us the argument is meaningless. One day I may get around to selling my M5's. They're still worth as much today (maybe slightly more) than when I bought them. I could trade them in toward an M9.

Leica has traditionally been both an extremely fine photographic tool and a way to protect one's investment.

If Leica pulls that off in the digital domain, they've done something big.

My hat is off to Mssrs Lee and Kaufmann and their entire team. (And that's based simply on the rumor... ;) )

I can't handle all of this.

I'm still thinking about the M8/nudes thread and this comes up. Deary me.

Too much for an old guy.

You're right, Steve. How did we get sidetracked? :)

--HC

PMA opens tomorrow, so not too long to wait for confirmation if this is all true….

If we assume for the moment though that some sort of M8 mkII is about to be announced, then if the upgrade rumour is correct I think it should be seen as an opportunity rather than as a disappointment.

After all such an upgrade path would be virtually unprecedented in this ‘throw away’ digital era, particularly if it prepares the camera for future upgrades which might include the sensor, and so far I haven’t seen Canon or Nikon or anyone else offer anything similar when their products are updated or replaced.

The downside is cost of course (this is Leica after all, lol), as jumping aboard the upgrade train could be essential considering the likely adverse effect on the residual value of unmodified M8’s (unless of course they were to acquire some sort of bizarre cult status, and become collectable in their own right, lol).

Consider the upside though, which might be that your camera can be kept up to date for a considerable period, at least until a major advance in capability or design comes along which can’t be provided by an upgrade.

Steve

............. that's bullshit I still use a RD-1 and a D2, helps me earn a living .... the production run maybe short

I used a D1 (well the Panasonic version) recently to take photos of someones engagement party - paid job. They wanted photos to send to people by e mail and an album of 5X7's. The camera was perfectly find for the job with a Metz hammerhead flashgun.

No camera is defunkt as long as it continues to produce images.

As for the upgrade, I don't own an M8 so it isn't really of concern to me, but as an 'outsider' I read it that Leica - keen to keep up interest/momentum in a product which they can't yet replace have come up with a few minor 'upgrades' so that they can effectively release a v2 M8.

What does it really amount to? The camera won't take better images (firmware will presumably be downloadable anyway). As for the shutter that is a confusing one. Is it a new shutter or are they just modifying the exisitng one.

Anyway I see it as mostly a marketing exercise to tide them over until the M9 is ready. Just my opinion FWIW.

No one HAS to upgrade, its an option. Values? forget values and just use the thing.

Regarding your comment:

I'm sorry but how could you MISS some pictures. The M8 frame lines are ALL SMALLER then what is captured at any distance greater then .7m.

Just because I have MORE in the frame than I intended doesn't mean that I didn't MISS the shot. Think about HCB and the decisive moment - it's about position of the frame and timing. A slight step back, forward, to the side and the click of the shutter at a slightly different time makes all the difference.

Basically I ALMOST NEVER crop. So if the balance of all the elements in the frame is not right, for instance too much space around the subject then I have in fact MISSED the picture.

So the fact that the frame lines include more, yes you are correct that I may not have missed an element in the frame but that doesn't mean that I have MISSED the shot.

I never really had this problem with the earlier M cameras.

Jonathan Elderfield Photography

Maybe,.................... but Jaap's thought pattern when defending Leica is akin to WWI trench warfare

Thanks for the compliment :) On this forum the voice of reason needs to be entrenched....:o

If we assume for the moment though that some sort of M8 mkII is about to be announced, then if the upgrade rumour is correct I think it should be seen as an opportunity rather than as a disappointment.... your camera can be kept up to date for a considerable period, at least until a major advance in capability or design comes along which can’t be provided by an upgrade.

Steve

My feelings exactly. With any luck we are back in the 1930's position when a leica I could be upgraded to a Ia, Ib, II, IIa, IIb, III, IIIa or IIIb...

nitpicking there is a big difference between production and use ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,well the last time I participated, maybe it is one and the same in the factory

It was perfectly obvious from the context was was meant.If I am ambiguous when I post I am more than happy to be corrected. IMHO this was clear. Digital models are regularly superceded. The old models patently do not then cease to function (at least not straight away). That was not intended to be the meaning if you choose to take it to be so and comment on it as bullshit I to am entitled to say I think you are nit picking.

Lets call it quits this is silly.

Nah you never placed it into that context, to recontextualise it in hindsight ............ feel free to do so but you did state that they have a short life cycle .. :p