No M9, Only M8-2

sdai

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The ONLY and I mean ONLY upgrade that I NEED is the FRAME LINES!

Leica needs to do this now!.

Please Guy , Sean - TELL THEM AGAIN!

I was just at Arlington National Cemetery working on a project and missed some pictures due to the bad frame lines!

Jonathan Elderfield Photography

Jonathan

I'm sorry but how could you MISS some pictures. The M8 frame lines are ALL SMALLER then what is captured at any distance greater then .7m.

Guest tummydoc
I stand by what I said with regards to David Stephens. Maybe, just maybe, news about Leica can come from a small shop in England rather than Phoenix?

David would not post a falsehood.

We'll see. ;)

I just got off the 'phone with a major US stockist and he knows nothing about it, in fact he was completely incensed, fearing an angry backlash from recent purchasers.

I just got off the 'phone with a major US stockist and he knows nothing about it, in fact he was completely incensed, fearing an angry backlash from recent purchasers.

Now, let me guess... Would that be Tony Rose? He does seem to be spitting his dummy in a most ungentlemanly and myopic manner. He has clearly not thought it through.

Regards,

Bill

I think the concept of upgrading is great even if the price is at a premium. The benefits are:

1)Less cash going out for those of us that have to have the latest and greatest everything Leica.

2)Anyone notice that we are killing the planet with our waste? Why not have an approach that creates less trash and pollution- assuming the details substantiate this reasoning. [Any of you sushi lovers read the New York Times article about mercury in the supposedly best Tuna sushi ? Guess what ? It comes from industrial pollution]

3)If all of us want "bullet- proof" Leica quality we can not expect Leica to make robust long lasting products if the "technical" lifespan is short. Robust quality is expensive and no one wants to pay $5000 plus for something that will be obsolete in two years.

If the original post is conceptually correct Leica should be applauded- especially because of my point #2.

Despite all of the complaining we do (me too) Leica is a really great company.

Guest tummydoc
Now, let me guess... Would that be Tony Rose? He does seem to be spitting his dummy in a most ungentlemanly and myopic manner. He has clearly not thought it through.

Regards,

Bill

Actually, no, it was not Tony Rose. However your characterisation of him as an ungentlemanly spitting dummy seems out of place for someone who so quickly jumped to defence when someone made a much less offending remark about your Mr. Stephens. Considering however that I've never even heard of that little hole-in-the-wall shop, which as I've been informed has only recently "regained" their Leica franchise, and Mr. Rose is what they refer to in the 'states as a 'power seller' for Leica, I have doubts that he needs your or anyone's counsel as to how to 'think it through' ;)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As to the accuracy of the details of the upgrade mentioned in the link provided by the first post, I cannot say. However an item in the right-hand column matches with some facts I heard last week, from a very reliable source. I leave forum members to decide which item; I agreed not to spread the information.

But it does suggest that the upgrade information has a grain of truth in it.

Guest tummydoc
Vinay, you are so great at following leads others give you!

Good to have someone stating the obvious.

--HC

Is this some kind of attempted recovery to my having de-bunked several of your arguments? Those at least were comprehensible :p

I think the concept of upgrading is great even if the price is at a premium. The benefits are:

1)Less cash going out for those of us that have to have the latest and greatest everything Leica.

2)Anyone notice that we are killing the planet with our waste? Why not have an approach that creates less trash and pollution- assuming the details substantiate this reasoning. [Any of you sushi lovers read the New York Times article about mercury in the supposedly best Tuna sushi ? Guess what ? It comes from industrial pollution]

3)If all of us want "bullet- proof" Leica quality we can not expect Leica to make robust long lasting products if the "technical" lifespan is short. Robust quality is expensive and no one wants to pay $5000 plus for something that will be obsolete in two years.

If the original post is conceptually correct Leica should be applauded- especially because of my point #2.

Despite all of the complaining we do (me too) Leica is a really great company.

I totally agree with this. Did you see the recent issue of Nat Geo about all the technical waste in the world? If Leica takes a revolutionary stand in regards to that I say all the more power to them.

Leica should take the Apple (and others) model and start a "Leicacare" program. $395 gets you another two-three years of warranty. I'd go for it. Not so sure about an $1800 upgrade though. That's the price of a D300 or 5D as backup.

The upgrade advertisement starts by saying :-

"Leica have just announced that there will not be an M9 as previously thought."

No one else seems to be aware of it / not on the Leica wed site ?

Very strange.

Brian:confused:

Sorry to say, but 6 pages of this subject, "what if???? or "if NOT" what we get from it, regarding the upgrading rumours, sounds ridiculous to me.

Reading all this, it gives me the impression that we not handle this as adults and in a professional way. More like children who "not" can wait for the Xmass presents.

Except some who ask to wait and have patience and react then to all this.

Go out and used your camera and shoot.

Just my thoughts.

Theo

Actually, no, it was not Tony Rose. However your characterisation of him as an ungentlemanly spitting dummy seems out of place for someone who so quickly jumped to defence when someone made a much less offending remark about your Mr. Stephens. Considering however that I've never even heard of that little hole-in-the-wall shop, which as I've been informed has only recently "regained" their Leica franchise, and Mr. Rose is what they refer to in the 'states as a 'power seller' for Leica, I have doubts that he needs your or anyone's counsel as to how to 'think it through' ;)

They have been official Leica dealers for over 40 years( David Stevens and his father before him) And give very good service!

Man, six pages of this. TOO FUNNY.

Hey, he also scooped the R10, on comments on that? Here's his "anouncement":

Leica R10 coming - Reflex Digital SLR with Various Lenses - Over Size Sensor and Pelical Mirror

Let's have six pages on THAT!

Really people... I know it's winter, but try to get out and shoot some pictures, instead of freaking out about something you have no say about, such as a favorite company's business plan.

Guest guy_mancuso

How about much better. I think that describes it the best. I did not get a chance to test it heavily but certainly shot with it a lot on several big jobs and it preformed very well.

Guest guy_mancuso

BTW someone said something about electronic frame lines. Now if that is a upgrade path , i am all over it like no ones business and if any upgrade that is the one i would want. I truly think in the overall picture ( no pun intended ) that would be the biggest lacking element of RF photography. That would be the one upgrade i would push for if i had my way or say for that matter. Really the only true handicap of the M8. IMHO

Some would maybe say other things but if you think about it more it is the hardest thing to truly nail down accurately. It takes a long time to get in your head exactly what is being planted on the sensor . The 75mm being the worst and actually if you think about it more a Portrait focal length that really does need to be accurate.

I would suggest the following - I cannot say that this has come from any particular source. If you were to ask if I have been speaking to a person who would know I would have to say I cannot comment.

Shutter modified, lower speeed. Some shutters have failed/become damaged due to excessive speed.

New shutter module ready to accept future FF sensor with no IR issues.

Retro fit flash pc module

Firmware to include 'winder delay' to activate upon release of shutter button.

As I say, purely my own imagination :D:p