No M9, Only M8-2

sdai

Simon I am not going to comment further on this subject but you have to put your thoughts as if you owned the company and how you and your dealership is looked at in a Global market. I think you know what i am talking about.

You are being too puritanical about this Guy. Judicial leakage has and still is the stuff of marketing. What really browns of companies is rudeness to customers (see my earlier posts).

The Solms elves have slain the bull troll.

Now that would really be something! :cool:

The 24mp Sony sensor looks interesting, but I'm worried it might also look really crappy.... the specs I've seen say an on-board 12bpp AD converter, which is not so hot, and there could be high ISO problems or other consequences from too many smaller pixel wells in the physical space. FWIW and if it's any guide I've been completely underwhelmed by 1ds3 shots so far....

Could be fine for an Alpha or whatever they're calling their Minoltas these days ;)

I'm hoping we see the new Kodak Bayer pattern stuff they announced last year in a Leica package ;)

But time till tell; maybe the Sony sensor will be outstanding.

Anyone want to weigh in on David's prediction:
Also, I boldly (and recklessly) predict that a digital Voigtlander or Zeiss rangefinder will be introduced by our friends at Cosina with a full-frame sensor (possibly the same Foveon sensor that Sigma’s using) and a mount that can accept Leica M-mount lenses.

There appears to be something seriously wrong with this prediction: either it’s a full-frame sensor or it is the Foveon X3 sensor Sigma is using, as the latter measures just 20.7 x 13.8 mm. It can’t very well be both.

There appears to be something seriously wrong with this prediction: either it’s a full-frame sensor or it is the Foveon X3 sensor Sigma is using, as the latter measures just 20.7 x 13.8 mm. It can’t very well be both.

Plus the Foveon is the worst choice for an M as I understand it is less forgiving to light hitting it at an angle then a bayer sensor. Color cast and vignetting problems would be much worse with the sensor so close to the lens.

Guest tummydoc

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Have a bit more of a think about it. It's not about "sentimental attachment". I take it you have never been able to afford a bespoke suit?

And yet another blatant insult in the absence of an intelligent rebuttal.

Well, there's certainly no lack of animation in this discussion.

Leica called me last week to discuss some things and we've been playing phone tag since. Leica folks are dealing with PMA and I'm in the midst of changing over our computers.

In any case, Leica and I will reach other eventually and if I have any information that I'm able to discuss, beyond what's been sent out already, I will certainly post it here.

Cheers,

Sean

Guest guy_mancuso

Hi folks just got off the phone with my Leica rep which is in Vegas and called me right after there marketing meeting to get me more info on this upgrade.

Okay here we go please bear with me .

The shutter that will be put in on the upgrade is a completely new shutter and the old one will be replaced completely by a new shutter. The new shutter has titanium blades, is electronically controlled and has enhanced vibration capabilities to help improve image quality by a more vibration free shutter . Now the shutter has been heavily dampened to reduce noise , said to sound just like a traditional M film body, I mentioned like a M6 or 7 and said exactly like it. The shutter also will have a flash sync of 1/80 of a second and a top speed of 1/4000 of a second . Also It comes with a full 2 year warranty top to bottom and a sapphire LCD replacement for the LCD display which is 5x stronger than glass. This is for 1st owners only for the warranty, that part is sketchy

Here is the biggy. The M8 as it is today and in the future will have available upgrades into the future with new advancements in upgrading. Bottom line the M8 will always be a upgradable camera.

The cost and this is approximate because the market or whatever can change around 1800 US . The turn time is said to be 4 weeks and they mentioned they will give me a lot more details on Saturday with more information. i also mentioned the questions and they said please compile that so they can answer all of the questions. So please let's keep that question thread in order so i can compile all the data and get that going.

Please don't shoot me , I am trying to help provide as best the data as i can. Thanks Guy

Here is the biggy. The M8 as it is today and in the future will have available upgrades into the future with new advancements in upgrading. Bottom line the M8 will always be a upgradable camera.

Now that IS a biggy - and I'm echoing Jamie's original thoughts on this thread as well.

Offering built in longevity with an expensive, digital investment is a masterstroke from Leica. However, $1800 for a new, quiter but slower shutter, a new saphire LCD screen (my screen protector works fine, no scratches) and some firmware (presumably for the new shutter) seems a tad steep to me. Leica will sell a lot more M8s if they can offer better pricing for upgrades - along with a suitable slogan such as "The only camera body you will ever need!"

Some future upgrades (sensor, PCB's etc) will obviously cost more than others but they've set the bar too high on this one IMO.

I just spoke with Leica and I have some more information that's embargoed until tomorrow morning. It's mostly nothing dramatic, though, just some further details about the changes. I'll post that information tomorrow.

What I can confirm tonight, though, is the firmware upgrades will, of course, continue to be available for free to M8 owners. The installation of firmware in the upgrade is just for the owner's convenience. All owners will continue to be able to update the firmware in their cameras.

Cheers,

Sean

My word! After just spending $5400.00 in late November I’ll now be permitted to spend another grand or two on my “new” M8 very soon! I truly am blessed. I pray that Leica will offer some sort of concession for recent purchases... :confused:

You're now a member of the great Washed and Scrubbed, David! (Leica doesn't appeal to the Unwashed, and once they've got you, they tend to give you a good scrubbing and drubbing, as well as a good product. ;) )

As for concessions, remember that they are still offering you a deal on the Digilux 3. :p

--HC

My word! After just spending $5400.00 in late November I’ll now be permitted to spend another grand or two on my “new” M8 very soon! I truly am blessed. I pray that Leica will offer some sort of concession for recent purchases.

Regards,:confused:

Don't forget this is not a required upgrade. You don't have to do this if you don't want.

If you were happy with your M8 on Monday, then what's changed?

If Sean is correct and the only way to purchase a new M8.2 is to buy an M8 and pay for the upgrade (only available in Euros $1,200) then the cost of an enhanced M8 will now (in August) be $7,200. I like my camera but I wouldn't pay $7,200 for it even with a sapphire crystal LCD cover and quieter shutter. The DP-1 at under $1K is starting to look like a steal.

The €1200 is only a valid additional price if they have to take apart an existing M8 and rebuild it. When they build M8.2s as standard, for sale in the summer, I see no reason (assuming the replacement parts are of a similar cost) why the premium should be anything like that, over the current M8 price.

Guest guy_mancuso

That is something we will have to see how this all works out. Somehow i think the price may go up on the M82 purchase . That is if they sell it off the shelf.

According to Sean they will not be building M8.2 as standard, only regular M8s and you can opt to order the upgrade, or not, even with a new camera and you will then have to pay the upgrade price in addition to the new camera price but the dealer will handle it for you.