Sign in to follow this  
LichMD

Giving up on my Noctilux

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I went in expecting the Summilux at 1.4 to knock the Noctilux at f1 into a cocked hat.

I love British expressions. I really need to spend more time there.

BTW, I just spent the afternoon comparing the Noctilux, 50 lux ASPH and 50 lux pre-ASPH. Conclusion: They are all damn fine lenses. There were only slight differences in bokeh from lens to lens, although I'd say the differences would have been more marked with different subject matter. The one clear difference was that the 50 lux ASPH clearly out resolves them all. No surprise there.

Guest guy_mancuso

No surprise there Brent. When i need something really sharp i will grab the 50 asph at 5.6 it probably is the sharpest lens leica makes, and I love it at 1.4 and the only lens i truly trust to get in focus at 1.4 the 75 lux may take a little playing around sometimes. The Nocti when i had it a couple times i did pretty darn good and enjoyed the lens. But for me it serves a non business need so I still have yet to buy one. I have enough lenses for two people. LOL

If its calibrated for f1.0 and you want to shoot at f2.0 what do you do? ).

If I need to shoot stopped down, I mount the nice fourth generation 50mm Summicron, which I paid about $500 for and weighs almost nothing.

Robert

Forgive me if I missed some of the details in the preceding posts, but there had been comparison between the noctilux and the summilux aspherical at f/1.4....how would the forum compare IQ of the noctilux compared to the summilux pre-asph at f/1.4...I am wondering if these 2 lens, in their non-asph constructs, may compare moreso that the asph glass of the new 50 'lux.

Rob, i would like to see those basketball images agian. Those blew me away.

Here are a few from the Noctilux:

/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=http://www.robsteve.com/LUF/L1001012.jpg&key=21b4ed605caad573f88c8d73705d6646fad43df010fde87d5929b4b011ef42a6">

/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=http://www.robsteve.com/LUF/L1000961.jpg&key=06b427bb83758bc2776adf3aa39e926f5f8c98538b116e89fa9c13070c0046cf">

/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=http://www.robsteve.com/LUF/L1000999.jpg&key=81e9a35acd3b0a150e836b974906a04917319ae5f9b46f4f4cc917e8f389fdc5">

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In regard to low light photography I think the 35/1.4asph does a pretty good job as well. Its a little shorter so you could probably shoot at 1/2 - 1 step shorter exposure so the difference to the Noctilux would be 1/2 step- and it gives a little more DOF at that stop which I need more often than the super shallow DOF of the Noctilux (which can be great in some shots).

So as a low light lens I would prefer the 35/1.4.

I still like the character of the Noctilux-if I would have been more succesfull handling it I would have kept the lens and I understand some people do.

However I felt that I should minimize my gear a bit.

Cheers, Tom

Rob--any recall of the aperture for those shots? They are amazing!

I was probably at f1.4 or f1.8.

One thing people always leave out when comparing the Noctilux to the other fast lenses is its flare supression. In some of those shots I am shooting straight into bright stadium lighting and I still have good contrast and black blacks.

Robert

Here are a few from the Noctilux:

/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=http://www.robsteve.com/LUF/L1001012.jpg&key=21b4ed605caad573f88c8d73705d6646fad43df010fde87d5929b4b011ef42a6">

/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=http://www.robsteve.com/LUF/L1000961.jpg&key=06b427bb83758bc2776adf3aa39e926f5f8c98538b116e89fa9c13070c0046cf">

/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=http://www.robsteve.com/LUF/L1000999.jpg&key=81e9a35acd3b0a150e836b974906a04917319ae5f9b46f4f4cc917e8f389fdc5">

Rob,

Amazing shots! Handheld, aperture, percentage of keepers?

Cheers

Ecaton

Hi Bernd,

Especially compared to your high-contrast B&W shots – which are very good, by the way – I understand your reaction. The Noctilux is quite soft wide-open, and the focal point on the image which I posted is farther back than those normally found on portraits (I wanted to emphasize the jaw-line). I happen to very much like the relative softness of the Noctilux f/1 renderings.

Mine is backfocusing with about 10 cm (has been to Solms once) at 2 meters. In pictures like this it 'emphises the ears'.... Except for the fact that I would not be able to see the difference through the viewfinder anyway.

The Noctilux demands the eyesight of an eagle. Especially at dark night clubs.

Some kind of photos can only be done with Noctilux, don't you think ?

Crisp in focus zone + very nice blur transitions + snappy colors + 3D effect !!!

M8, Noctilux, 1/750 f1.4 ISO 320

Mine is backfocusing with about 10 cm (has been to Solms once) at 2 meters. In pictures like this it 'emphises the ears'.... Except for the fact that I would not be able to see the difference through the viewfinder anyway.

The Noctilux demands the eyesight of an eagle. Especially at dark night clubs.

Get a magnifier. It's almost a necessity on the M8 with lenses 50mm and above, IMO.

I have always used the Noctilux on my MP and M5s and I have never had an issue with focusing accuracy. This past week I finally put it on the M8, and yes it was a bit off. Having practiced a bit, I now know just how much to turn the focusing ring to get the correct focus.

I have no plans to send it in for adjustment to the M8 because I still shoot more film than digital and also because I do not want to let it go for two months.