Sign in to follow this  
LichMD

Giving up on my Noctilux

Advertisement (gone after registration)

thanks to all of you for your responses.

The wealth of knowledge of it's participants and the willingness to share it is one of the things that makes this forum so great. Thank you.

Fotogrfr, your wonderful shot is what I was hoping I'd be able to capture, in time with this lens. Truely wonderfully 3D!

My take from all of your responses is that my investment in the Noct warrants a go at correction, hopefully DAG can solve the issue for me, without my losing fine focus on my other lenses.

Thanks again, I'll post an update when I get it back.

Guest Bernd Banken

I also must admit that I am getting more keepers with the 1,4/50ASPH, because I simply can focus it much faster - this might be my individual thing - but if the results are right with the Nocti, I prefer this look no doubt to the 1,4/50ASPH.

with a RF camera I can focus with a lens of F8 as fast as with 1,4.....or do you speak about the throw of the Noctilux?

what do you do with your camera?

Guest Bernd Banken
Peter –

Frankly, your pomposity is breathtaking, and your assertion that the Noctilux is rendered "obsolete" when used on an M8 is preposterous. It has a unique signature which many people (both photographers and viewers) love. How could an artist's tool which draws in a uniquely beautiful manner ever become obsolete?

Incidentally, I have no problem with those who prefer the Summilux, as it is a terrific lens, and does not suffer from some of the well-known weaknesses of the Noctilux.

Regards,

Tony C.

/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=http://mtanga.com/joe600.jpg&key=c75b0eedb00506b19a69b7ff0fd37dff438b1fc9a90b84fd75f5c6955edffe81">

Taken at f/1, by the way, no matter what Peter happens to believe.

Sorry Tony,

there is no focus in that pic at all:confused:

Jeff, you should keep trying. It is a long way and efforts to get good pictures from this lens, but that's why it can procure a lot of surprises. Noctilux is one of, not to say 'the' most difficult to use lens in Leica M range. For concerts, use it at minimum 1.4 and be carefull of speed because as it is an heavy lens it is subject to be a little bit more uncomfortable to use.

Here are 2 examples :

1st shot of Baobab Orchestra in concert (f1.4, 1/45s, ISO 640) C1 v4 BW profile dev

2nd shot portrait (f1, 1/60, ISO 640) C1 v4 BW profile dev

Jean-Luc

Lovely images both, which show the signature of the Noctilux in different ways. I've had less difficulties with portraiture and the Noct, it's really at 3+meters that I start having trouble. I've yet to capture a good clean shot in a similar scenario that comes anywhere near your concert shot.

Thanks

jeff

I've decided to part ways with my Noctilux.

I purchased it just before the last price increase, and was extremely excited

at learning to use it wide open. But now, almost 9 months later I find it to be too unreliable, difficult to focus (especially beyond 5m) and I'm just disenchanted with the lens.

The last straw for me was this past New Years eve, we were at a small local jazz club watching Mulgrew Miller and his wonderful quartet play, and I'd brought the M8 and Noct.

Of 150 shots taken not one was sharp, though 10 had great depth and movement.

So here's my question, is it a mistake to sell it?

I purchased a mint 75/1.4 from a friend a few months back and feel that it covers the low light situations capably.

I also sold my Noctilux some days ago because I just dont get reliable results wide open (Lens has been calibrated at Leica together with my M8).

So I rather use 35/1.4asph or 50/1.4asph, and with those two I get reliable results.

Selling the Noctilux allowed me to get a nice lens for my Nikon system (200/2.0)

Cheers, Tom

Sorry Tony,

there is no focus in that pic at all:confused:

Hi Bernd,

Especially compared to your high-contrast B&W shots – which are very good, by the way – I understand your reaction. The Noctilux is quite soft wide-open, and the focal point on the image which I posted is farther back than those normally found on portraits (I wanted to emphasize the jaw-line). I happen to very much like the relative softness of the Noctilux f/1 renderings.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Man, these examples of the Nocti’ sure makes me salivate despite the learning curve and the probable trip to Solms following purchase. I have no idea why but perhaps because it’s so controversial. I’ve always lived by the philosophy “if it’s too easy I don’t want it”.

Regards,

Yes, you are missing something. The lenses have entirely different fingerprints. People keep talking about the Summilux ASPH as an alternative to the Noctilux. It isn't. I have both the Noctilux and Summilux and use them for different looks in different situations...

Hi Brent, how would you compare the Noctilux to the pre-asph Summilux at f/1.4?

OK, shot this yesterday. Most of shoot was done with 1dsMIII. Wanted to see how the noctilux would look . This is @ 1.0 . It's soft overall, but has a cool look. I bought used for 1200.00 a few years back. No coding, never been sent in for anything. I don't think i could focus it in the dark though.

Hi Brent, how would you compare the Noctilux to the pre-asph Summilux at f/1.4?

Hi lct--Certainly one of the biggest advantages of the Noctilux would be its resistance to flare. Since it is so often used at night or indoors in situations where there are likely to be bright stage lights, this can really be important. The pre-asph Summilux doesn't have the vignette issue at wide apertures, but I usually find myslef even liking that Noctilux characteristic. I also prefer the bokeh of the Nocti because it is less harsh. Most of this just comes down to personal preference. When I need extreme sharpness and want a soft, textured bokeh, I'll use the 50 lux ASPH. But when I want the extra speed and/or the unique bokeh of the Noctilux, nothing else will do it. I have a pre-asph Summilux but literally haven't used it once since getting the asph version.

OK, shot this yesterday. Most of shoot was done with 1dsMIII. Wanted to see how the noctilux would look . This is @ 1.0 . It's soft overall, but has a cool look. I bought used for 1200.00 a few years back. No coding, never been sent in for anything. I don't think i could focus it in the dark though.

Tim--Really, really beautiful guitar.

Guest Bernd Banken

errrh,

the pickups (of the Gibson)

are Mini-humbuckers as in the Flying V?

Cheers

Bernd

There's a guitar in that picture?

Oh, ya now I see it. It is nice

DBK

Yeah, it took me a while to see it, too.

Guest Bernd Banken
Hi Bernd,

Especially compared to your high-contrast B&W shots – which are very good, by the way – I understand your reaction. The Noctilux is quite soft wide-open, and the focal point on the image which I posted is farther back than those normally found on portraits (I wanted to emphasize the jaw-line). I happen to very much like the relative softness of the Noctilux f/1 renderings.

Tony,

thanks for your kind comment abaout my pics. I'm not the fan of general sharpness in pics, sometimes the best impression of a shot are the unsharp but important areas, so as most paintings will show or the old masters with old lenses could achieve.

But on the other hand it's some kind of gambling to have the risk of wrong areas of sharpness or softness for the advantage of a special impression due to the lens characteristic.

When there is enough time for focussing it's ok but with a M on the street...mmmh difficult......

Cheers

Bernd

Thanks Guys. The Gibson is a 73 reportedly owned by Roy Orbison . The wear patterns and film clips ive seen from that period look very similar.

Hi lct--Certainly one of the biggest advantages of the Noctilux would be its resistance to flare. Since it is so often used at night or indoors in situations where there are likely to be bright stage lights, this can really be important. The pre-asph Summilux doesn't have the vignette issue at wide apertures, but I usually find myslef even liking that Noctilux characteristic. I also prefer the bokeh of the Nocti because it is less harsh. Most of this just comes down to personal preference. When I need extreme sharpness and want a soft, textured bokeh, I'll use the 50 lux ASPH. But when I want the extra speed and/or the unique bokeh of the Noctilux, nothing else will do it. I have a pre-asph Summilux but literally haven't used it once since getting the asph version.

Thank you Brent. My late version of the pre-asph 'lux is nearly flare free and its bokeh is very smooth indeed but i have no experience of the Nocti so i wanted to know if the difference at f/1.4 is significant between those two lenses. Thanks again.

Thanks Guys. The Gibson is a 73 reportedly owned by Roy Orbison . The wear patterns and film clips ive seen from that period look very similar.

Very cool. One of the best concert films I ever saw was Roy Orbison & Friends: Black & White Night, which was recorded live at the Coconut Grove in L.A.. Fantastic collection of songs.

Thank you Brent. My late version of the pre-asph 'lux is nearly flare free and its bokeh is very smooth indeed but i have no experience of the Nocti so i wanted to know if the difference at f/1.4 is significant between those two lenses. Thanks again.

I'll see if I can find a suitable subject and do a side by side comparison for you sometime this weekend.