1,35 x Megaperls - OK

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I received my VF magnifier today - after some exhitations my choice was for the Megaperls 1,35x : here are my impressions - btw , I'm a glass-wearer:

- RF alignement is REALLY much better; I never tried such items before: well, now I understand why so many people consider it an almost mandatory accessory.

- Without glasses, the 28 frame is at the limit, but you can see it: there is a little distortion in the 28 field; I understand why Leica limited to 1,25x.

- 24 is out of discussion: unusable (the reason for I went for 1,35 is that I surely have no plan for a 24 - have 21+28)

- for 75 and 90 is a blessing : no appreciable distortion, and wow the frames are good

- So, for 135mm lovers (like me) I think is really a very good solution

- The diopter adjustment is someway rough: a simple screw (not loose,now, then... I'l see) with no scale, no references at all: unwearing my glasses, I found a good position, but surely I have to hand-make some reference for the right position

- There is, undoubtly, a certain loss of luminosity in the VF, and in low light (I made some tests at home) it can disturb.

- I never saw the Leica 1,25x, but I think that the price difference can be, for this item, well justified : the Megaperls has no bag, no instructions, the packaging is poor, and the optic I think is surely of a cheap kind.

- I haven't yet decided if it will be ALWAYS fitted on my M8... I sometimes used the 21 without external VF... with this device it's impossible... ; the absence of a small bag can be disturbing , but I have an old small bag for the Leitz 5cm VF (SBOOI)...it can be attached to the strap... can be a satisfyng solution if I'd decide to haven'it permanently attached: but I hope to end with having it permanent... I have the idea it's not an item one can be confident to mount and dismount many times.

In conclusion : a not too costly and very useful device, probably (time must pass to evaluate) with good value-for-money.

And... thanks to Jaap and Wladiwlaw and others in this forum : were their posts that convinced me to buy an accessory that, silly, I never considered before.

Ciao Luigi!

sono contento che ti trovi bene con il megaperls!io utilizzo da tempo il modello 1,25x di HK supplies, e sarei tentato di usare il modello 1,35x dal momento che utilizzo solo il 35mm e il 50mm (qualche volta il 90) oppure i grandangoli 15 e 12 di CV.

Come risulta la cornice del 35mm con l'ingranditore 1,35x?è davvero ben visibile o devo ruotare l'occhio per vedere tutto il riquadro?

ciao e grazie per la risposta!

Mauri

Well, I read on this forum where some folks really liked the 1.35 Megapearls so I jumped in and got it right before the holidays. Unfortunately, most every photo I took was out of focus when I downloaded them. I used the recommended o-ring to hold the adjustment but it was apparently off, and the device is now in my nightstand as it simply didn't work out.

Regards,

Daniel,

I don't understand that as I have it and the 1.25x and I can focus much better. Did you adjust the diopter adjustment to get the clearest focus first and then use it to focus? My 90mm is the hardest to get a real sharp focus with and I can do it with the 1.35x and it is very hard to get a sharp focus without it.

Ciao Luigi!

sono contento che ti trovi bene con il megaperls!io utilizzo da tempo il modello 1,25x di HK supplies, e sarei tentato di usare il modello 1,35x dal momento che utilizzo solo il 35mm e il 50mm (qualche volta il 90) oppure i grandangoli 15 e 12 di CV.

Come risulta la cornice del 35mm con l'ingranditore 1,35x?è davvero ben visibile o devo ruotare l'occhio per vedere tutto il riquadro?

ciao e grazie per la risposta!

Mauri

Ciao Maurizio: con l'occhio ben attaccato al Megaperls la cornice 35 si vede davvero bene e senza strani movimenti d'occhio: come ho scritto prima, tutto sommato si può usare anche quella da 28, anche se, in effetti "guardando un po in giro"... l'ho fra le mani da troppo poco per dare ulteriori giudizi, ma sono, direi, tranquillo sul fatto che, se non altro, sono ben a posto per 75-90 e ...135 ! al 135 ci tengo molto.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Do I have to tell you: "I told you so" ? because the 1.15x is just as good for your second body. (there will be one, won't it :p)

My second film body, at M4's times, was a IIIf or a CL... unless they make a digital LTM "IVf / IVg" :p ... or the "CLD" you recently envisioned ;) ... a 2nd M8 is not in my plans (... and fear some of my daughters crying "Dad, you have TWO... why don't you lend me ONE for this weekend with my boyscout group ?":D (*) )

(*) The older would have liked to be invested of the prescripted role of "photographer" in her Boyscout brigade... decided to abandon the idea when I proposed her to use my folding 6x9 Super Ikonta (a very educative camera, mostly for learning to spare film....)

Well, I read on this forum where some folks really liked the 1.35 Megapearls so I jumped in and got it right before the holidays. Unfortunately, most every photo I took was out of focus when I downloaded them. I used the recommended o-ring to hold the adjustment but it was apparently off, and the device is now in my nightstand as it simply didn't work out.

Regards,

It may be that you have an (unrecognized?) eye problem like astigmatism. That won't repond to a simple correction of the diopter, but might even be brought more to the foreground by mgnification.

Regards,

Thanks Daniel I was about to sell my last Leica magnifier in favour of the Magapearls, so I guess I won't be going there after all.

Regards ... Jim.

Regards,

If you are interested in selling I'd like to give it a try...