Firmware 1.111 Revisited

fotografr

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is all very well Leica teasing us through Guy about a next firmware release but I'd expect the responsible thing would be to state a release date (approx) and contents. After all, it might just stop people belly-aching and bad mouthing the product.

Microsoft and IBM have been doing this for years (announcing the release of products and software which then turn up years later) so there is a precedent.

LouisB

Actually, you don't find many companies pre-announcing software or hardware with release dates these days, precisely because the testing cycle tends to go right up until release. I haven't seen a fix pack firm date from Microsoft for years (and their OS release dates are famous for slipping, and slipping, and slipping...).

No developer wants to get burned with dates: it's better not to say the expected date than miss a date these days, and it's also better not to release something too buggy into the market than just make the date.

So I'm not sure why Leica should be any different.... I don't see Canon saying "hey there's a firmware coming out next weekend" either; they just release it when it's done.

Guest guy_mancuso

Believe me Jamie is dead on the money, no one wants to get stuck with a date and even I won't say the actually day. First get me in trouble with leica and second who the hell wants mud on there face, not me. Let's leave it at a generous hint and call it a day.

Guest tummydoc

Yes, and I happen to have insider information that there will be a major natural disaster somewhere on earth in the future, but like you Guy, I'm not divulging what and when. But when it happens it'll be proof that I had the inside scoop on it :rolleyes:

Guest guy_mancuso

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You know Vinay i could say nothing and frankly maybe i should but your response really makes you sound like a ass. I think the feeling around here lately is many feel the same way. If you want to insult someone do it in private but your response is very typical of your ongoing personality around here. I don't insult you or even argue with you, so stay out of my face.

Maybe we should start a pool for the next FW release date? I think 2 February, Groundhog Day would be interesting. If your M8 sees its shadow, the FW winter will not be over for another 6 weeks! :D

On a more serious note, I have not had the mad scrolling but have had sudden stoppages so I carry two spare batteries.

Over the holidays I had a very weird experience, see attached shot. The correct picture, the one taken on the day of the EXIF data, 31 Dec., shows the shore of Lake Erie but there are two other previous shots in the same frame, one with an IR trans filter (the pinkish part). The show caped peak is here in Alaska, part of the view from my office. The icon for the file, however, is normal except for the cyan corners (I shot in RAW only), it shows the complete shot. My guess is that the card was not re-formatted correctly for this frame (only), the rest of the shots were OK. :cool:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Maybe we should start a pool for the next FW release date? I think 2 February, Groundhog Day would be interesting. If your M8 sees its shadow, the FW winter will not be over for another 6 weeks! :D

On a more serious note, I have not had the mad scrolling but have had sudden stoppages so I carry two spare batteries.

Over the holidays I had a very weird experience, see attached shot. The correct picture, the one taken on the day of the EXIF data, 31 Dec., shows the shore of Lake Erie but there are two other previous shots in the same frame, one with an IR trans filter (the pinkish part). The show caped peak is here in Alaska, part of the view from my office. The icon for the file, however, is normal except for the cyan corners (I shot in RAW only), it shows the complete shot. My guess is that the card was not re-formatted correctly for this frame (only), the rest of the shots were OK. :cool:

I've seen this problem reported in other forums from other non-Leica cameras. The general consensus has been a card formatting problem.

My guess is that the card was not re-formatted correctly for this frame (only), the rest of the shots were OK. :cool:

I've had this a couple of times. I came to the conclusion that my SD card might have a fault although it has worked fine in other cameras. On the other hand, it has been heavily used for 2+ years and I suspect the connectors are worn. It also happened when the battery was close in its last third of power.

I've since treated myself to a new Kingston Ultimate 2GB SD card in the hope that will solve the problem.

LouisB

Actually, you don't find many companies pre-announcing software or hardware with release dates these days, precisely because the testing cycle tends to go right up until release. I haven't seen a fix pack firm date from Microsoft for years (and their OS release dates are famous for slipping, and slipping, and slipping...).

I agree about the dates but not about the content. There is absolutely no reason I can think of why Leica should not indicate the main content of their next release as soon as they know.

This is a camera with many known and continuing problems. The lack of advance PR about the content of future firmware releases might lead one to conclude that nothing radical is likely to happen anytime soon. I sincerely hope I'm proved wrong.

LouisB

Cool, the digital age version of double exposed film! If it was on the M6 I'd say your film pulled loose from the take up spool:D

Guest tummydoc
You know Vinay i could say nothing and frankly maybe i should but your response really makes you sound like a ass. I think the feeling around here lately is many feel the same way. If you want to insult someone do it in private but your response is very typical of your ongoing personality around here. I don't insult you or even argue with you, so stay out of my face.

I don't know if your problem is insecurity, paranoia, or simply an incapacity to tell when someone is truly insulting you or simply 'busting your chops' in an attempt to cajole you into spilling the beans, as was the case with my remark which ended with the prominent display of a :rolleyes: . I don't know how you function in the real world if you go off on people at the drop of a hat like that.