Utterly baseless predictions

jaapv

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Remember that you've bet QUOTE: 'Anything you're willing to give up from my Leica collection' UNQUOTE

I'll take it as you don't want any of these ... LOL

But seriously, none of the futuristic M lenses ever mentioned in people's wishlists could interest me, because 1) I've determined that a 35 cron, a 50 cron and a 90 cron are all that I'll need and like, 2) I'm basically a SLR guy, it's just fun speculating as Jaap started his thread inviting baseless predictions, right?

Cheers, :)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

let's not get me in trouble here.

But, you've never told us anything. If they really don't do anything, that's not your fault! :D

Nothing to see here, folks, class dismissed ... now it's time to put your money in the stock market or buy some cheap condos, 24 months after, you'll have more to spend on the M10 and/or R11. :p

Guest guy_mancuso

Stock market better find something else to invest in lately. I will hold your credit cards while you decide . I promise to be gentle. ROTFLMAO.

Okay it's Friday must be happy hour somewhere, time for a pint.

Mark Norton mentioned these issues as the most important to be fixed in a future M9: "Sensor Size, Image Noise, IR Sensitivity, Focussing Accuracy, Framing Accuracy, Auto White Balance, JPEG Quality, Quiet shutter, Body Thickness, SDHC Support."

Let me go through these issues:

Sensor size?

After a year's use it does not bother me much, - not at all, actually, that the M8 is not full frame. 1,33 crop is quite OK. 1,5 isn't. A full frame sensor could take many years to appear. 10 years? Possibly. I will not cry myself to sleep without it in a future M9.

Image noice?

This is much more important to me. I have great use of my 1Ds II's high ISO low noice capability. This is something i would enjoy in a M9!

IR sensitivity?

Can be embarassing for a pro photographer if he can't reproduce the color of the suit of the Secretary General of the United Nations. Must be fixed. But to what price? - Not so sharp pictures? A difficult issue. Maybe the M8 is just perfect in this respect.

Focussing Accuracy, Framing Accuracy?

- I this an issue? I thought it was the footprint of a culture!

Auto White Balance?

Agree! Must be fixed!

JPEG Quality?

Agree! Must be fixed! Shit, this put me off in the beginning. I was so used to excellent jpg's right out of my Canon 1D's that I was totally unprepared for having to go through the RAW converter to make decent looking (well, they are perfect looking!) jpg's.

JPEG Quality?

well, I think that M8 is quiet. But quite a few thinks the oposite. Do a digital camera need a mechanical shutter at all? Why not just add 'noices' as with cameras like, God forbid, Canon G9? And a toilet flushing noice when you delete a picture.

Body Thickness?

I miss the elegant slimness of the film Leica's. yes, may be Leica should try something else than just make a totally thicker camera. What about a bulging back as on the Sinar film backs? Something in that line.

SDHC Support?

But of cause!

Comments?

After nearing the end of 2008 without finding a way to fix the M8's problems or the company's customer support problems, Leica will raise the price of the M8 again in a final effort to stay afloat. As a result, in 2009 we'll be able to get a good look at Leica's belly button.

Well... It's as utterly baseless as any of the predictions I've seen on this thread.

Mark Norton mentioned these issues as the most important to be fixed in a future M9: "Sensor Size, Image Noise, IR Sensitivity, Focussing Accuracy, Framing Accuracy, Auto White Balance, JPEG Quality, Quiet Shutter, Body Thickness, SDHC Support."

Tom, I didn't intend to hi-jack Jaap's thread with a discussion on M8 issues, the point I was trying to make is that an M9 only makes sense if it moves the game forwards significantly from the M8. We see function creep from Canon and Nikon (EOS 400 to 450, for example) but the M9 needs to be a bigger step to make it worthwhile, like the Nikon D3. There hasn't been enough time, IMHO, to address the M8 issues properly which is why I'm hoping there will NOT be an M8-2 or M9 this year.

For the M9, Leica need to draw a line under the M8, learn from the experience and start again. In the meantime, we can enjoy our M8s.

My Wishlist:

at PMA: many stuff (whatever you want), but many nice attendants & hostess too.

p.s. not to mind some Martini dry and chips

at PHOTOKINA: many stuff (read above), and many more nice attendants & hostess too.

p.s. don't mind the Martini Red (that was not there at PMA) with chips.

Please see the pictures to know:

A minimum selection's required: not the usual ones (first sample), even if i don't bother for traditional costumes (sample n° 2):

Best

Maurizio

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Tom, I didn't intend to hi-jack Jaap's thread with a discussion on M8 issues, the point I was trying to make is that an M9 only makes sense if it moves the game forwards significantly from the M8. We see function creep from Canon and Nikon (EOS 400 to 450, for example) but the M9 needs to be a bigger step to make it worthwhile, like the Nikon D3. There hasn't been enough time, IMHO, to address the M8 issues properly which is why I'm hoping there will NOT be an M8-2 or M9 this year.

For the M9, Leica need to draw a line under the M8, learn from the experience and start again. In the meantime, we can enjoy our M8s.

The camera business has changed since the analogue times. Now you have to launch a new model every 2.years or so. Otherwise you are dead. What changes has to be in there to call it a M9 can be discussed. It should incorporate a sensor that gives lower noice on higher ISO, at least, I think.

(Many here start to hyperventilate just by the thought of that a new model might be just around the corner. They are comfortable with the slow pace that Leica has released cameras in the old days, and want even major design changes 'for free', as software up dates. Understand that Leica won't survive by this!)

Leica should release a M8s, with the 's' siginifying a larger computer that can handle larger DNG+jpg combinations - thus higher quality jpg's - and all together higher reliability, - and a 4.0 version of Capture One and a a' la' carte program included. A M8s they should come with no later than next year. But preferably this automn.

A M9 should be around two to two and a half years after that, with more pixels, lower noice at higher ISO, slightly lower crop factor - if possible, even larger computer and even better post handling software, and a new sexy body design where the 'fatness' due to the sensor is hidden away in the design; a camera that looks slim, but isn't (because it can't be). Like having the top and bottom plates the same size as M6/7/MP, but where the back of the camera bulges out. Like on the Sinar film backs. Hum! Will look sexy!

In between the M8s and the M9, Leica should launch a 'digital CL', a cheaper version (1,5 crop sensor, solid state shutter) intended for young starters - and as a stop gap for the US market to keep the loyal US customers base. Here they should experiment with another body design and try it out on the market. - If Leica does not launch such a camera, others will. Cosina, together with Epson (or Zeiss?) are obvious competitors.

Tom, I don't agree. I expect cameras much more often than in the old days, but every 2 years is too often. The cameras are too expensive, and the feature improvements will be too incremental. Every 3-4 years would be better, but even then, the extra cost is a stretch.

We all agree that certain things *must* change for the M9 to be viable, such as no IR filters needed, much better reliability, better WB, better frames in the viewfinder, and a more stable and reliable focusing system. Beyond that, we could all argue forever about which features we expect. I hope Leica will consider either retroactively fixing some weaknesses of the M8, or give a significant upgrade discount to owners of the M8.