buy or wait

jojo2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

hello leica lovers!

i want to switch to digital now, as it is getting more and more difficult to get films developed in a good quality. as i own some leica m-lenses i want to use them and buy a digital leica for them.

but the big question is: should i buy the m8 (which is still making lot of trouble as i learned by reading this forum) or should i wait what leica will present at the photokina this year?

best, jojo2

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

John, it's like buying a computer, if you wait for the next model you'll never buy anything. No one knows for sure when the M9 will be released, or what the spec will be. My advice would be to buy now if you want a digital M and can afford it.

Don't be put off by the negative posts, some people have had problems, but many of us have not.

hello leica lovers!

i want to switch to digital now, as it is getting more and more difficult to get films developed in a good quality. as i own some leica m-lenses i want to use them and buy a digital leica for them.

but the big question is: should i buy the m8 (which is still making lot of trouble as i learned by reading this forum) or should i wait what leica will present at the photokina this year?

best, jojo2

I’m into my third month of ownership of the M8 and initially I was overly concerned. Much like other user forums this is where you’re going to find the highest concentration of defects. The M8 is pretty much like any other computer centric device that occasionally goes wacky with power scrolling of the menu or an occasional lock-up of the display. In my case, I’ve had to press the “reset” button about three times so far, and this was after I was playing around with the User Profiles a lot. On another occasion, I had to remove and reinsert the battery to clear the “lock-up” issue. As an avid geek on computers, I don’t get too excited over these anomalies. My advice, don’t register the M8 with Leica for about 1-2 months after purchase since a “good dealer” will exchange it for you in the event of an issue. FYI: The current serial number range of the newer units is: 333xxxx.

Regards,:rolleyes:

Regards,

hello leica lovers!

best, jojo2

I was exactly in the same situation as you are and was pondering about buying an M8 for more than one year. At the end of december I finally did it. And I have not regretted it ever since. My camera works perfectly (knock on wood), I´m absolutly pleased by the handling and the quality of the DNG files.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

John, it's like buying a computer, if you wait for the next model you'll never buy anything. No one knows for sure when the M9 will be released, or what the spec will be. My advice would be to buy now if you want a digital M and can afford it.

Don't be put off by the negative posts, some people have had problems, but many of us have not.

I agree with Steve.Lots of people have had no problems whatsoever.I have had one lock up in he past year and that happened after instaling the latest firmware.Took out the battery and reinstalled it and OK. My advice would be to buy a new M8 from a dealer who has them at the pre increase price.Charge the battery properly, Read the manual.Then go and use it.

Forget about M9 /fullsize sensors etc.They will happen eventually but that is thousands of picture opportunities away.Even when they do bring out a new model the M8 will still

produce great pictures.

Brian

Interesting. I just ordered one as well but my sn is 311xxx. It says it has the latest firmware, and is new not a demo.. I've waited a long time to order one also, but now is the time for me.

John

I’m into my third month of ownership of the M8 and initially I was overly concerned. Much like other user forums this is where you’re going to find the highest concentration of defects. The M8 is pretty much like any other computer centric device that occasionally goes wacky with power scrolling of the menu or an occasional lock-up of the display. In my case, I’ve had to press the “reset” button about three times so far, and this was after I was playing around with the User Profiles a lot. On another occasion, I had to remove and reinsert the battery to clear the “lock-up” issue. As an avid geek on computers, I don’t get too excited over these anomalies. My advice, don’t register the M8 with Leica for about 1-2 months after purchase since a “good dealer” will exchange it for you in the event of an issue. FYI: The current serial number range of the newer units is: 333xxxx.

Regards,:rolleyes:

Regards,

Guest tummydoc

I would buy now--a Nikon D40x or similar Canon Rebel--and then wait 6 months to a year past the time the M9 actually becomes available before taking that plunge. Recent history has (or for anyone grounded in reality, should have) taught us that Leica early-adopters are tantamount to un-paid beta-testers. Paying full retail for a new M8 at this point is IMO lunacy. Buying a demonstrator isn't cost-unreasonable, but these can be early models and there is no guarantee they aren't fraught with occult defects. True they come with one-year warranty, but the reality with Leica is that in most cases repairs leave you without a camera for weeks or even months. IMO buying a used M8 is, as one acquaintance of mine put it, "like playing Russian Roulette with a Glock."

Hey, if you are waiting for the M9 you may wait three years for all you know. If you want the M digital, start now. I have had my M8 for over a year and never lost a photo in over 10,000. Just last week I was shooting in sub zero with an M8 for wide shots and a DSLR for long telephoto and none of the Canon shots were saved. I guess I am holding off on buying a second M8 for back-up as I would rather have the M9 eventually and use the M8 as back up then. But I want full sensor to get the most of my WATE.

Of course you can read the L_L and that would tell you to get a Canon G9 as your start in digital.

Have you taken one of your Leica lenses into a dealer and tried it on an M8? If you do, bring your wallet, because you will have a difficult time walking out without buying the M8 right there.

My 2 cents:

a. People who complain a lot, are mostly people who don't shoot a lot. It's a mind thing, not a faulty camera thing.

b. I love my M8. It's a fine working tool. Don't see a reason why I should or would want to switch any time soon, bigger sensor size or whatever.

IMHO,

Leica announced M Digital in 2005, and there was rumors before that..

I was waiting for M digital since than, but I actually aquire M8 in early 2007..

so, If leica announce M9 Digital now.. it look like you have to wait couple more years easily..

^_^

Just a thought: I would FIRST start thinking about range finder/digital and after that I would perhaps think about 5 minutes about what's NOW and what "could be possible".

You will always be behind facts.

I bought the M8 being an amateur, hate it sometimes (when I think it ITS fault) and love it mostly (because it wakes me up to the fact that I AM IN CHARGE).

Mine has no quircks, no mishaps, no back focus, whatever. But I'm sure that's because I just don't see it. Meanwhile I'm having tons of fun.

And sometimes I grab my other camera, because I'm fed up with all the hassle of a range finder. But I always go back to it and am even contemplating to buy a M6 or an M7. Just because ..

Marco

My impression is that when one (amateur) switches to digital, is difficult he comes back to film, unless there is some specific reason to do ; and you say you have "some leica m lenses..."

I was in similar situation 9 months ago about... got my M8 in April... I can give you a simple advice:

BUY M8 AND ENJOY HER !!!

...and start to learn digital process...;)