jojo2

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest tummydoc
Vinay, when I crashed one M8 in the middle of Africa, what would I have done without a second one? My wife's Clux-1 will not take a Visoflex.....

Changing lenses in very inclement/dusty conditions is not advisable. Two bodies is more versatile.

And in fast developing situations, changing hands is a lot faster than changing lenses, as there are virtually no zooms on the M8....

Using an M camera with Visoflex for African safari photography demonstrates a measure of, shall we say, eccentricity :rolleyes: , for which I would agree you merit special dispensation for owning two M8s :D For the typical hobbyist on holiday however, a backup M8 (or walking about with one slung over each shoulder in emulation of an intrepid photojournalist) is somewhat, ah, optional I would say.

Thank you for the kind thought, Vinay :);) . However, is it not just a matter of degree? I would suggest that using even one Leica M denotes a measure of eccentricity, and that owning about every Leica lens under the sun and knowing esoterica like Barnack's shoe size is not exactly mainstream either.:p

Has anybody ever compared them side by side?

Not that I am aware of, but it would be a very interesting, and, I suspect, revealing exercise.

Maybe next time I am with Steve Unsworth, we could have a play with both bits of kit, at as near the same settings as possible on each (ISO ranges are different, for example). We can dupe the files, process them independently, and decide between us which we prefer to share, or even process them together.

I know which file my money would be on... ;)

Not that I am aware of, but it would be a very interesting, and, I suspect, revealing exercise.

Maybe next time I am with Steve Unsworth, we could have a play with both bits of kit, at as near the same settings as possible on each (ISO ranges are different, for example). We can dupe the files, process them independently, and decide between us which we prefer to share, or even process them together.

I know which file my money would be on... ;)

That would be an interesting exercise.Especially when two people such as Steve and Andy are involved.I will buy you both a pint at next Christmas Lunch in Manchester.Let the battle commence.

Brian

FWIW, I've used both the M8 and the DMR side-by-side for a year now, and while I have to use the DMR (or other SLR) for longer glass, since 90mm is the longest I own for the M8, the files are actually pretty comparible.

Both the DMR and M8 have outstanding shadow rendition and detail at lower ISOs that really show a family resemblance.

When processed properly, I think the colour balance on both is very good, with a nod to the DMR for not needing the occasional post-process the M8 needs due to filters. I can't prove it, but I'd bet that theoretically the DMR has better upper midtone rendition when pushed "to the right" but the M8 file is more pliable when underexposed (by about a stop).

Moire is about the same. Highlights are about the same.

DR or exposure latitude I would have given the nod to the M8 before the last DMR firmware upgrade; the DMR is now the M8's equal or close above ISO 400.

A last point: the DMR and M8 files always look more alike than either do with my 5d. The 5d beats both of them for high ISO (1600 ISO or above) latitude and noise; the M8 and DMR are sharper though. I prefer the colour of the Leicas, especially in the reds, but that's down to profiling and post-processing as much as anything else.

As for the glass, they're both fantastic, really. Having both is having a wealth of riches as far as tools go.

Of course, one is an RF and the other an SLR. Different tools.

But I'll give a strong nod to the M8 for ergonomics; no doubt about it. After carrying around the DMR and lenses for a day, well, let's just say the M8 bag beckons a lot :)

But since I need an SLR and a RF is a strong advantage too, it's nice to have both at such high levels of quality.

Guest tummydoc
No that isnt right. Rangefinders are the right tool in certain situations. The m8 should be outstanding in every regard not viewed as an eccentricity.

I'm sure neither jaapv nor myself were using the term 'eccentric' in a pejorative sense. Anything outside the centre, that is, the mean or status-quo, could be considered eccentric, and using an M certainly fits that descriptor, especially if the user presses it into service outside the arena where, as you put it " Rangefinders are the right tool in certain situations."

yesterday i got some files of the nikon d3 (which is about the same price as the m8). they are really great, also with very high iso setting.

this should add a lot of opportunities for available light photography. now i'm not sure anymore if i should really buy the m8...