buy or wait

jojo2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

hello leica lovers!

i want to switch to digital now, as it is getting more and more difficult to get films developed in a good quality. as i own some leica m-lenses i want to use them and buy a digital leica for them.

but the big question is: should i buy the m8 (which is still making lot of trouble as i learned by reading this forum) or should i wait what leica will present at the photokina this year?

best, jojo2

Are you really going to do what a number of anonymous voices on the Internet tell you?:confused::eek:

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Are you really going to do what a number of anonymous voices on the Internet tell you?:confused::eek:

anonymous |əˈnänəməs|

adjective

(of a person) not identified by name; of unknown name : the anonymous author of Beowulf | the donor's wish to remain anonymous | an anonymous phone call.

• having no outstanding, individual, or unusual features; unremarkable or impersonal : the anonymous black car waiting to take him to the airport | a faceless, anonymous group.

On this forum, none of these apply… :D

Personally, I followed here a number of very good advices from outstanding individuals with unusual features, remarkable and personal.:cool:

thanks a lot for your replies!

back to my second question: what is more reliable: silver or black chrome?

i red in this forum that the black chrome of the m8 rubs up very fast, much faster than the black chrome of the m7, for example.

best, jojo2

anonymous |əˈnänəməs|

adjective

(of a person) not identified by name; of unknown name : the anonymous author of Beowulf | the donor's wish to remain anonymous | an anonymous phone call.

• having no outstanding, individual, or unusual features; unremarkable or impersonal : the anonymous black car waiting to take him to the airport | a faceless, anonymous group.

On this forum, none of these apply… :D

Personally, I followed here a number of very good advices from outstanding individuals with unusual features, remarkable and personal.:cool:

I find Beowulf an outstanding piece of writing....:D:p

Advertisement (gone after registration)

There are people who change cameras every other week.

There are people who are professional photographers, or people who have valid reason to buy their camera for their business, and enjoy the write off, never actually experiencing a dollar out of their personal ledger. R-E provides enormous latitude in the business sense and the taxable.

If you want a camera that stacks up long term, past the warranty comfort blanket yes it is fine to wait. The M8 camera delivers the files and mounts the best glass. The camera though, is a f

I cant begin to explain how close the R9 came to dropping out of my hand and into the depths of the Nam Ou. I am confident the m8 wouldnt survive.

Bastards cost me a fortune in film.

Five k isnt much. The histrionocs in the middle of no where when the f thing goes f wheels f up? f Priceless. I'll f wait.

thanks a lot for your replies!

back to my second question: what is more reliable: silver or black chrome?

Neither. What possible difference can the colour of the finish make to reliability?

(However, everyone knows that black lenses take better photographs. ;) )

There are people who change cameras every other week.

There are people who are professional photographers, or people who have valid reason to buy their camera for their business, and enjoy the write off, never actually experiencing a dollar out of their personal ledger. R-E provides enormous latitude in the business sense and the taxable.

If you want a camera that stacks up long term, past the warranty comfort blanket yes it is fine to wait. The M8 camera delivers the files and mounts the best glass. The camera though, is a f

I cant begin to explain how close the R9 came to dropping out of my hand and into the depths of the Nam Ou. I am confident the m8 wouldnt survive.

Bastards cost me a fortune in film.

Five k isnt much. The histrionocs in the middle of no where when the f thing goes f wheels f up? f Priceless. I'll f wait.

If I felt that strong about a product I would not buy it.Lots of alternatives available.Personally both of mine work well.When the M9 comes out I will buy it.Lots of people will have issues with the M9 and the talk will be about the M10.Just like groundhog day.I personally think that many of the serial complainers probably do not own one.If I was that disatisfied I would change to a differant model/camera.

Brian

I think the point is being confident that they pick up all the fixes and you dont have to worry too much about whether it is an early serial number late serial number whether it has visited solms for upgrades, whatever. And no one should expect it to do more than it is supposed to. What it does should be stand alone, and not subject to comparison. I could give a flying f what Nikon or Canon does.

Hi Brian - I hear this assertion more and more - sounds a little over-defensive to me. But I think it's time to name names! :)

So who says they have an M8 but doesn't?

Who can tell, but if most people buy a product and are not happy they change to one they are happy with.Not being defensive in the least.I have never had any serious issues with any Leica equipment and minor ones have "always" been attended to promply by Leica in the UK.

Brian

Who can tell, but if most people buy a product and are not happy they change to one they are happy with.Not being defensive in the least.I have never had any serious issues with any Leica equipment and minor ones have "always" been attended to promply by Leica in the UK.

Brian

Go to GetDPI and see how many m8 stalwarts have since got Nikon, another canon. ricchoh, or DMR I guess. Words are cheap.

There is no need to carry two bodies with digital as there was with film, for two ISOs or for b&w and colour; however, without reasonable-range zoomlenses

Vinay, when I crashed one M8 in the middle of Africa, what would I have done without a second one? My wife's Clux-1 will not take a Visoflex.....

Changing lenses in very inclement/dusty conditions is not advisable. Two bodies is more versatile.

And in fast developing situations, changing hands is a lot faster than changing lenses, as there are virtually no zooms on the M8....

Go to GetDPI and see how many m8 stalwarts have since got Nikon, another canon. ricchoh, or DMR I guess. Words are cheap.

What is wrong with getting a DMR? I did not sell my M8 for it....The cameras are complementary, and that goes for Nikons,Canons etc. as well. Words may be cheap, these cameras are not.

Nothing at all. Best files I ever saw. Why doesnt the m8 duplicate them?

The op wants to buy a camera and there are so many people saying how great the m8 is without coming clean and saying "yes but I also have another forty grands worth of kit for when....." whatever.

Anyway his bird looks like Luci Lui....so whatever he shoots her with....

Hmmm The different uses for RF and SLR systems have been clear since time immemorial. If somebody has both of similar quality to use as intended I cannot qualify that as "coming clean" And yes, DPI has a large proportion of pro's and advanced amateurs who do indeed have the inclination to use both systems side by side. So what?