M8 stays in hotel room; shoots in Japan with Canon G9

MarcRochkind

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Only on toast!

The G9 does make better movies than my M8, which I find a bit jumpy.

I love my G9 for what it is, but the files are not technically as good as the M8 by any means. Still, compared to anything in the price range the G9 is awesome. Too bad it doesn't say Leica on it!

My sentiments exactly. I too own a G9, I really like it, but it is by no means a camera that can displace the M8 by any stretch of the imagination.

Cheers,

Wilfredo+

Benitez-Rivera Photography

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As for the G9 and the M8, my walkaround set up is both - the M8 with either the 24 f2.8 ASPH or the 28 F2 cron, and the G9 for rapid back-up when the 24 or 28 isn't best for an image (not often, though). The G9 just sits in a small case on my belt. Picture quality is quite good, but within a more narrow set of parameters - e.g. contrast, lighting, etc.

It allows me a light weight "kit" with the M8 and my most widely used lenses plus a back-up when I need a longer lens or a macro. Sometime, I have the 35 lux on the M8 and then, the G9 provides for a wider angle, if needed.

While the equuipment is important, but the best pictures are taken by the photographer - not the equipment!

Enjoy it all.

Steve:) :(

It seems there a quite a few members who own both an M8 and a G9 - I wonder what that means? I am one of them, and see no conflict between them. I was told at an early stage in my connexion with photography that small cameras are desirable because you are more likely to have one with you when you see a great photo waiting to be captured - and it might not wait long! As a result I have owned and used pocket cameras like the Rollei 35, the (less pocketable) Olympus Pen FT and a Pentax ME Super with pancake lens in the past. The M8 is tiny compared to a FF DSLR, but not quite pocketable. It is the camera I take when deliberately intending to make photographs, but the G9 is the one that lives in my jacket pocket, ready for the unexpected opportunity.

Sometimes, as with the half frame camera or with a P&S digital, there is a trade-off between portability and quality. A trade-off that is in the tradition of Oskar Barnack, I should add! There is no question which produces the better quality image, but the IQ you get when you don't have any camera at all is the worst of all....

Chris

It seems there a quite a few members who own both an M8 and a G9 - I wonder what that means? I am one of them, and see no conflict between them. I was told at an early stage in my connexion with photography that small cameras are desirable because you are more likely to have one with you when you see a great photo waiting to be captured - and it might not wait long! As a result I have owned and used pocket cameras like the Rollei 35, the (less pocketable) Olympus Pen FT and a Pentax ME Super with pancake lens in the past. The M8 is tiny compared to a FF DSLR, but not quite pocketable. It is the camera I take when deliberately intending to make photographs, but the G9 is the one that lives in my jacket pocket, ready for the unexpected opportunity.

Sometimes, as with the half frame camera or with a P&S digital, there is a trade-off between portability and quality. A trade-off that is in the tradition of Oskar Barnack, I should add! There is no question which produces the better quality image, but the IQ you get when you don't have any camera at all is the worst of all....

Chris

I use an M8 and a Ricoh GSX100. The impression I get is that the Ricoh has a marginally better lens than the G9 and I particularly like the wide 24mm equivalent wide end. However, I think that the G9 has a better focus system and a considerably quieter sensor. Certainly on my GX100, it does not seem to like being on fixed ISO (against Auto Low), giving a useless "your settings have changed" right across the screen at every start up. Auto ISO often seems to default to 200 ISO, which can be quite noisy. Macro mode is useless and seems to totally upset the autofocus, just when you need it most for close ups (eBay pics etc). I keep hoping for an upgraded firmware to cure these bugs but Ricoh makes Leica seem lightning fast in this respect.

Wilson

I've found that the best second camera to carry with me when I'm using an M8 is an M8...

I do have the GRD2 - full of admiration for its qualities, but it just doesn't do the job for me. If I can't persuade my wife to use it to take photos of me while I'm taking photos with the M [:D ] I think I'll probably sell it while it's still in production. Lovely camera + the finder with box and all the trimmings ... I just don't use it that much.

Here is why I say the G9 can't compete on IQ, but still beats no camera at all. Two very uninteresting photos (I'll save you bothering to say it, Imants!) of my son at breakfast, both recorded as raw files, at slowest speeds (ISO 160 for the M8 and ISO 80 for the G9), 28 'cron at 2.8 on the M8 and 7.4mm at 2.8 on the G9 (ie both 35mm equivalent at the same aperture), opened without modification by ACR, converted to B&W by Alien Skin Exposure (Ilford Delta 100, grain off and a touch of sharpening), reduced to 900 pixels wide and saved as JPEG (quality 11/12 in PS). The second is clearly better in terms of contrast and detail, though the evaluative metering on the G9 might be considered better in that it hasn't blown the windows out so much.

Chris

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

...I love my G9 for what it is, but the files are not technically as good as the M8 by any means. Still, compared to anything in the price range the G9 is awesome. Too bad it doesn't say Leica on it!

It seems to me that if Leica made its own interpretation(s) of this kind of camera it would be close to what was the essence of "Leica photography" in the first place... A small, quick, versatile inconspicuous camera. If it used a 4/3rds sensor, it could still be made small and tiny interchangeable lenses would be possible too. (The Pentax and Minolta 110 SLRs proved this.)

I could see an interchangeable lens SLR model and a fixed zoom lens viewfinder model as possibilities.

Pentax 110 SLR

To lend some perspective to Paul Harts examples above...here are some G9 crops from the same scene, utilizing different raw converters.

Images from top to bottom are: full scene from Canon conversion, then Canon conversion crop, irfanview crop and acr crop

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

ACR looks the best to me. It would have been nice to see a C1/4 in this series. ACR is just too labour intensive for a large batch of photos. Can anyone advise if Lightroom uses the same conversion engine as ACR. I personally am looking for a program (to use on Mac) that I can use to leave all my images as DNG, since my 60MB+ M8 16 bit TIFF's are taking up just too much room on various Macs. I don't like Aperture as I can't use ICC/ICM profiles on it.

Wilson

And to the "wow" and "flutter" one might read this as a thread about vinyl turntables... whether G9 or any other P&S, the M8 data is greater, thus more pliable. Once washed through Adobe's software and all cameras are the same, software blanched for the "monitor palette". Enjoy your cake, er, hay.

While in active pursuits, the P&S serves by weight. The M8 serves better volume otherwise.

Can't see, can't tell, oh He^^^^