M8 stays in hotel room; shoots in Japan with Canon G9

MarcRochkind

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It's a G9 review on The Luminous Landscape. The M8 played only a minor role: The writer (a pro) expected to use his M8, but found the G9 not only more convenient, but even superior in certain situations. (Part of the story is that image stabilization gave the G9 a 1-stop advantage, at least. Also, he says the G9's exposure and white balance were more accurate thatn the M8's.)

I happen to have an M8, which I love to shoot with, and also a G9, which I've had for a few months but only now started to use. (See my blog post.) Also, a Nikon D200, which can run rings around the M8 save for four things: image quality is not as good (M8 has a bigger sensor and no AA filter), D200 + zoom lens is HUGE and HEAVY, my Leica lens is better than my Nikon zoom, and I can focus more accurately (albeit more slowly) using the Leica than I can either automatically or manually with the Nikon.

But, one can only get really good at using only a few cameras, so if the G9 is my light, portable (lighter and more portable than the M8, as the LL review says), and the D200 is my heavyweight, doesn't that leave the M8 in the uncomfortable position of being in-between?

Maybe I'll start finding my M8 mostly staying at home...

Normally, on this site, whenever anyone disses the M8, lots of folks join in with criticisms and reasons why he or she is wrong. Let the rumpus begin, as it says in The WIld Thing.

--Marc

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"The G9’s metering is superbly accurate. This was in stark contrast to the M8’s metering, which I find crude and unreliable....."

This quote sums up the review pretty well - Mr. Devlin wants the Canon engineers to take his pictures for him. In actual fact it's Nick's metering skills that were "crude and unreliable" - else he would have been able to make them work with any camera....even one with no meter at all.

I get good exposures all the time with the M8. If Nick can't - well, which variable changed? Not the camera.

The pictures accompanying the review are hardly a recommendation for the G9, for that matter. Pretty boring garbage that a cellphone could have handled for the most part.

Except for the monkey shots - which at 200mm equivalent focal length are outside the M8 purview anyway.

Leica has f/1 and f/1.4 lenses, so for the M8 to outperform it with a "1 stop" advantage due to the IS, it must have at least an f/2 or f/1.4 lens, right?

Wrong - f/2.8 at the wide end and f/3.2 at the "60mm-equivalent" setting. A Noctilux (67mm f/1 equivalent) would eat the G9 and spit out pieces.

I think the basic mistake that N. D. made was to think of the M8 as a pricey P&S. (and perhaps Marc does too, if the M8 is in competition soley as the the "light portable" option). The M8 is nothing like a P&S - it has a vastly different set of strengths and weaknesses.

Same for your D200, Marc. You say the D200 can run rings around your M8 save for four things (IQ, size/weight, lens, good manual focus).

My question is - WHAT ELSE IS THERE!!??

Having recently been in Japan with an M8, a G was a considered backup, but I went without. As a person who prefers a viewfinder rather than screen viewer, I would always prefer the M8. I also want less shutter lag. But if you don't have the bucks, go with the G9. It is the camera I recommend to those who can't afford an M, but want a light but quality system that shoots RAW. The fact that Nick left his Leica in the room would suggest he sell the M8 system as soon as possible and let someone else use it. Cameras are tools, go with what you prefer. Me, I would have left the G9 in the room, hey, I left it in the store. By the way, I think his best shot was the Motorman with the bullet trains in b&w.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I went to Japen last spring with my Canon 1D2, 85L & 24-70L, along with my then 1.5 year old daughter. My Canon gears seemed heavier then my baby girl. As soon as I came back to SF. I got the 5D. That was before M8 was available.

I can't wait to bring my M8 to Japan again.

I do wonder about Mr. Devlin's thinking. He dated his G9 review "Jan 2009".

Nah-well, there are pretty good cell phone cameras nowadays, more convenient than either. And superior in certain situations too. I doubt it would stop any of us using our Leicas. Nor will that put an end to poignant news photos being made with those cellphones.Whatever gets the shot. It is a personal choice what to use, pro or not. It is a mistake to read such an article as a "which camera is best"type of thing.

I think it's pretty clear that the writer hasn't spent much time with any of the latest crop of P&S cameras. A lot of them are pretty good, as far as P&S's go. I wonder how he would have reacted if it had been the Ricoh GRDII.

By the way, I take my M8 to Japan just about every day! :)

Leica has f/1 and f/1.4 lenses, so for the M8 to outperform it with a "1 stop" advantage due to the IS, it must have at least an f/2 or f/1.4 lens, right?

Wrong - f/2.8 at the wide end and f/3.2 at the "60mm-equivalent" setting. A Noctilux (67mm f/1 equivalent) would eat the G9 and spit out pieces.

The reviewer was comparing the G9 with the only Leica lens he had available - the F4 Tri-Elmar. I'm not sure what the Noctilux has to do with the issue.

Why is there always this ludicrous defensiveness regarding Leica and, especially, the M8? The reviewer is apparently an experienced M user and decided he preferred the Canon P&S. Good for him. I've no idea why other M8 users need get their knickers in a twist about it. We all know the strengths and weaknesses of the M8 and use it (or don't use it) accordingly.

M8 stays in hotel room
............isn't it where all M8 are kept gaffer taped under the bed because owners are scared of the boogyman peering through the window

Which of course is almost sillier tha this

Proves that photos taken with a camera you have with you are better than those not taken with a camera left at home.

But, one can only get really good at using only a few cameras, so if the G9 is my light, portable (lighter and more portable than the M8, as the LL review says), and the D200 is my heavyweight, doesn't that leave the M8 in the uncomfortable position of being in-between?

--Marc

Yes for you. Sell your M8 and all your Leica glass and move on.

Good luck and happy snapping.

It's a G9 review on The Luminous Landscape. The M8 played only a minor role: The writer (a pro) expected to use his M8, but found the G9 not only more convenient, but even superior in certain situations. (Part of the story is that image stabilization gave the G9 a 1-stop advantage, at least. Also, he says the G9's exposure and white balance were more accurate thatn the M8's.)

I happen to have an M8, which I love to shoot with, and also a G9, which I've had for a few months but only now started to use. (See my blog post.) Also, a Nikon D200, which can run rings around the M8 save for four things: image quality is not as good (M8 has a bigger sensor and no AA filter), D200 + zoom lens is HUGE and HEAVY, my Leica lens is better than my Nikon zoom, and I can focus more accurately (albeit more slowly) using the Leica than I can either automatically or manually with the Nikon.

Maybe I'll start finding my M8 mostly staying at home...

Normally, on this site, whenever anyone disses the M8, lots of folks join in with criticisms and reasons why he or she is wrong. Let the rumpus begin, as it says in The WIld Thing.

--Marc

The G9 is an excellent camera according to reviews (I don't own one) and for what it is good for, I would use it. I myself own a very small, older Pentax Optio 5i that I use more than any other camera I own (including my M8 and M6) because that camera fits in an Altoid tin and I slip it in my jeans pocket- it goes everywhere with me when my M8 does not. I hardly ever print pix taken with the Optio larger than 4"X6" so those picture taken are great! No need to haul around the much heavier M8 and a selection of 2 or 3 lenses with a separate flash (should I need it). Why am I extolling the P&S Optio? Because for what I need it for in some situations (and what the original contributor needed the G9 for), it is my preferred camera and does an adequate job. But neither it nor the G9 can hold a candle to the M8 for top quality pictures, especially for low light, large enlargements or cropping, and shadow detail. Different tools for different jobs, but I would not compare the M8 to a P&S, no matter how good the P&S is.