An M8 users' favorite point and shoot?

hahn73

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have found that while I would like my M8 with me at all times, it's just not possible. Physically too bulky and heavy (with the lenses). So does anyone have a favorite pocketable point and shoot that comes close to getting photos that you would considerable acceptable quality? Ideally, I'd like it to use SD cards as well and to shoot in RAW. Am I correct in assuming that C1 v4 can read and process RAW files? (Sorry if the question is obvious - I have only used C1 for the M8 DNG files).

I was thinking the Panasonic TZ3 looks decent. Though the ISO performance above 100 is iffy. Also, the largest aperture is 3.3 at the widest focal length. I'd like a bit larger aperture. Wondering why someone can't design a large aperture pocketable camera like the Fuji Natura film camera.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I travel a fair amount and always bring P&Ss in addition to my M8. My favorites:

1st: Ricoh GRD II (original nice as well)

2nd: Leica D-Lux 3

I usually end up using the D-Lux the most due to the convenience of the zoom. Both are terrific, you can't go wrong :) The handling of the GR series (I have a film based GR21 as well) is incredible.

Kent

I would venture that the three leading contenders are:

leica d-lux3/panny lx2

ricoh GRD II

Canon G9

aren't too many others that have raw capture.

I have a TZ3 very nice and fun to use. Not as good indoors. No manual controls.

You can safely add the Ricoh GX100 to the list at the GRD2 side, as it has the same performance of the GRD2 plus the convenience of a zoom lens starting at a 24mm equivalent. The lens is not as outstanding as the GRD2's, but it stands competition very well.

Each of the mentioned cameras has its pro and cons.

IMO, the more important of each one are

-DLux/LX2: Nice lens

-GRD2/GX100: Nice lens, great image quality, flash hotshoe (so you can mount external VFs), a prime focal length lens in the GRD2, the widest zoom of the three in the GX100

-G9: AF speed, long tele, flash hotshoe

I have a DLux3, a G9 and a GX100. I am selling the DLux3 and the G9 to buy a GRD2.

regards,

I'd like a bit larger aperture. Wondering why someone can't design a large aperture pocketable camera like the Fuji Natura film camera.

The closest to this idea is the Ricoh GRD2. It can write RAW files (DNG as the M8), has very good image quality (at least as the Panasonic/Leica), uses SD's and SD-HC, uses the same battery as the Panasonic/Leica, etc,etc

At 400 ISO, you can shot BW and you'll have the same results as with Tri X developed in Rodinal 1:50.

cheers

Ed

I usually end up using the D-Lux the most due to the convenience of the zoom. Both are terrific, you can't go wrong :) The handling of the GR series (I have a film based GR21 as well) is incredible.

Kent

Ricoh's GX100 shares ergonomics and form factor with the GRD2 with the added benefit of a wide zoom lens. Image quality is virtually on pair with the DLux3. After a little while using the Ricoh, I find the DLux3 is a very difficult to hold camera.

IMO, for an M8 user there is not an easier to use camera than either of the Ricohs, they have been designed with the ergonomics a photographer has come to expect in mind

cheers

M8 with 28/2.8 is my go everywhere, but not always happens.

So, here is another vote for GRD II. My wife has GRD (original) for here go everywhere camera and it is so handy. Even when I have M8, sometime I borrow GR because I would have the long lens on M8.

She has pretty much abandoned Minolta 7D because of GR.

-tanka

The GRD1 does it form me..had the DLUX 3 , did not like its handling.GRD 1 even with slow RAW write times is a take everywhere serious camera.Serious meaning full control and good quality.

There are many occasions when I want to be hands free and the M8 is too big and heavy.

Am often surprised at just how much bigger and heavier the M8 feels compared to the M6, I know it is not the case and the difference is relatively small but it sure feels bulkier.

andy

Me too am starting to think of a little carry-always... I don't feel M8 as bulkier/heavier than M4, but I was well accustomed to my delicious Rollei 35 as "carry always"; fact is that I seem small digitals (or P & S, if one likes...) go out with new models any month or so... and I prefer for the moment, to wait and increase my digital workflow practice; if I should decide for a P & S I would require :

- RAW - 6-7 MP minimum)

- Really compact even at the cost of a modest zoom factor

- SD card

- 28 equiv. WA (would prefer a 28-85 vs. a 35-135)

- Macro

- Don't care of flash

Is there some item of this kind on the market ?

M8 +collapsible Elmar M 2.8/50. The M8 fits into the pocket easily with that one on. After all the way your wallet has shrunk buying it will leave some extra space.;)

Leica M's are conceived as carry-around cameras.

For me the concept of choosing between my 'real' camera and a little walk-around camera no longer works, actually never has worked, really. I always ended up having the wrong camera with me. Like the picture opportunity of a lifetime - and then I've only got that ridiculous little point and and shoot with me. Or lugging around that heavy SLR all day, and then nothing turns up at all.

So, it's exactly for this reason (and some others ;) ) that I went for the M8 and the excellent Leica lenses. Now I can walk around with a small and unobtrusive camera and have ultimate image quality. The Tri-Elmar I bought with this purpose in mind, does not work for me, though...

So, to answer your question: M8 + 35cron is my favourite Point and shoot.