An M8 users' favorite point and shoot?

hahn73

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The Short Story:

Small sensor cameras have a look which can be creatively interesting and useful but they are never as accurate as for e.g. an M8. There are two in particular that are favourites with experienced photographers, and this thread has many mentions of them both. The Ricoh GRII (or predecessor or GX100) and the Leicasonic DL3/LX2.

I have both of these and though the ergonomics and form factor of the Ricoh are mildly preferable, the Leicasonic has better or equal file quality to ISO 800 IMHO, and at 1600 both are dogs, though the Ricoh files are more useable cos the Leicasonic has banding at that ISO. The Leicasonic also has a sharper lens I think.

In any event I am convinced that whatever the angels on pinheads count, under most circumstances I'd be better off with the Leicasonic. I trust it more. In fact buying the Ricoh has made me use my LX2 more often which is NOT what I wanted! If anyone is interested in comparisons and quick and dirty tests, try my thread at GetDPI:

GRII versus LX2/D-Lux 3 - The GetDPI Workshop Forums

However... much more important as we all know is what we do with the gear. There is a certain quality to the following image in print which I would find hard to fake from an M8 file. It's from the Ricoh.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Best

T

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

M8 +collapsible Elmar M 2.8/50. The M8 fits into the pocket easily with that one on. After all the way your wallet has shrunk buying it will leave some extra space.;)

Leica M's are conceived as carry-around cameras.

Can you use the collapsed Elmar with an M8? I thought I read somewhere that it can be used on an an M* as long as you don't collapse it in. Or have I been missinformed?

- Vikas

Can you use the collapsed Elmar with an M8? I thought I read somewhere that it can be used on an an M* as long as you don't collapse it in. Or have I been missinformed?

- Vikas

Vikas,

Certainly you can with a later one. I did for about 9 months. If you could not use the Elmar, then why were Leica selling it coded and with no warning on the lens instructions? Both Jaap and I measured the clearance to the shutter blades collapsed; Jaap made it about 2mm from memory and I made it about 1.75mm. I sold mine after I got a 50/1.4 Summilux ASPH, as I was just not using it. I got it originally to complement my Noctilux, which was the only 50mm lens I had and which could neither be described as very handy nor an all rounder. I found the image quality of the Elmar to be fine but the build quality was not up to Leica standards, with a slightly jerky focus and a horrible floppy aperture ring that you would be disappointed to find on a cheap Russian camera. If they did a 35 Elmar, I would buy one as an ultra light travel lens but they are never going to now. At some point I might get a 35 CV pancake or a 35 Summarit.

Wilson

...the build quality was not up to Leica standards, with a slightly jerky focus and a horrible floppy aperture ring that you would be disappointed to find on a cheap Russian camera....

You have been unlucky with your copy Wilson i guess. My ones from 1994 and 2004 are perfect.

You have been unlucky with your copy Wilson i guess. My ones from 1994 and 2004 are perfect.

LCT,

Stephen Gandy of Cameraquest also complains about the aperture ring on the final batch of these lenses. Mine had a July 2006 date on the bar code on the outer brown cardboard box, which I assume is the date it was manufactured. I would guess that they did not make many after than and mine would have been taken out of internal stock and retrofitted with a coded bayonet.

Sticky focus may just be one of those things that goes away with use. Both my chrome lenses (35 and 50 ASPH Luxes), which are in the very early stages of their life, have quite stiff focus. I mentioned it to Leica UK when I was talking to them about something else and they agreed that chrome/brass lenses and in particular new 50 ASPH Summiluxes may need quite a bit of running in until the focus becomes silky. My WATE and Summarit 75 had a lovely focus action straight out of the box.

Wilson

Advertisement (gone after registration)

..Sticky focus may just be one of those things that goes away with use. Both my chrome lenses (35 and 50 ASPH Luxes), which are in the very early stages of their life, have quite stiff focus. I mentioned it to Leica UK when I was talking to them about something else and they agreed that chrome/brass lenses and in particular new 50 ASPH Summiluxes may need quite a bit of running in until the focus becomes silky...

Focus ring stiffness seems to be a common flaw of the 50/1.4 asph indeed. My black anodised one is a bit stiff as well. Same for the 75/2 BTW. But my black and chrome Elmar's are silky smooth and have always been so.

Sean Reid, on his excellent subscription site, has an in depth review of the Ricoh GR 2 which is one of the top three choices in this category. It's not cheap ($900.00 at Popflash with finder and case) , but I guess reasonable. I think by being very portable with one fixed lens, it makes an excellent companion to the M8. I have too many Leica lenses that keep me delayed and indecisive. I want to be able to shoot spontaneously by grabbing the quality in a Ricoh from my jacket or glove box or wherever. I don't consider this a reflection on the M8 with which I'm very happy.

Wag