An M8 users' favorite point and shoot?

hahn73

Advertisement (gone after registration)

...my M8 with several of it's lenses are truly P&S...

Must be a OTBTLBIOTC&P&S then...

Open-The-Bag-Take-The-Lens-Bolt-It-On-The-Camera-And-Point-And-Shoot. :D

To me a P&S is always ready to shoot by essence, which implies a single lens IMHO.

For example HCB with a 50/2 or LCT with a Digilux 1. :D:D:D

Seriously, i'm still looking for a compact digicam to replace my good old D1.

Give me a Canon G9 with Leica IQ and a 28-70 Summicron please.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Aside from small size, P/S or small sensor cameras can do something M8s can't, shoot with ridiculously large dof. This is the factor, to me, that makes them really point and shoots. Prefocused, the Ricohs have minimal shutter lag. Focused at 6 feet, most everything is in focus. You literally, just point and shoot. The large dof is also great for macro.

That's a good point and not something I'd considered before. Hmmmm.

Likewise (I have the Panasonic flavour one). As far as digital goes it does what I need most of the time or I use film if I know it won't. I like its size, controls, features but would love a few more MP and RAW capability. I try to use it of TIFF. Its sometimes my carry all, but as said before there is always THAT shot which I really wish I'd shot on film!

I've had a Panasonic LX-1 for over a year, but since getting my M8 I've used it perhaps twice. As with Daniel, the M8 is my P&S camera.

Whenever anyone asks me for a P&S recommendation, I always suggest they look at the Panasonics. Several have RAW capture and I also like the fact that there are a number of models that have 28mm wide angle.

One mans' point and shoot is another mans brick I guess. Back when my kids were small, are teens now, and when I shot film, I went to Disney World with a Hassy SWCM, color neg film, zone focused, small flash, and that was as close to a P&S that I carried then....YMMV....

Although I'm usually carrying the M8, I also enjoy using the Ricoh GX100 and a Canon SD1000. Partly it's for the depth of field, partly for the grittier look the smaller cameras give, for it's TTL viewing and extreme macro focusing. And sometimes I just want to play and not take things too seriously ;)

What's a point and shoot?

Among pocket digital cameras, my three favorites are the GR II, GX100 and D-Lux 3. There are indeed differences in the files from the GR II and GX100 but the former is only a pocket camera when its used without an accessory lens (ie: at a 28 mm EFOV). My favorite file quality comes from the GR II but its FOV is not always what I want.

Oh...and I love my M8 and it is my primary camera but I do now carry a Ricoh in my pocket to have with me every day.

In addition to the LUF, another great forum for cross-brand discussions of small sensor cameras is: Small Sensor Cameras - The GetDPI Workshop Forums

Cheers,

Sean

I enjoy my G9 which I got as a replacement from Canon for my defective G7. It does a lot what the M's don't cover. It does RAW as well and I love the size. The viewfinder could be better, but it is still useable.

And yes, there are a number of events, where I'm happily only carry this one.

Interesting thread. I always consider the M as the ultimate - point and shoot. Of course I went through the CL and a variety of other film shooters like the Konica Hexar, Olympus XA and so on.

Along came digital and I bought a Ricoh GRD and enjoyed using it very much but with the arrival of the M8 it got shelved so I passed it along to Tom A who is having great fun with it.

Recently I considered the GRD II but opted for a Canon G9 based on a couple of reviews from people I respect. Below is one such link. That all said I have not shot a lot with it, but it is fast - certainly faster than the GRD and RAW write speeds are most definitely faster. There are many things to like about the G9 the ISO dial on top - a not bad built-in viewfinder, but at least it is built in - a flash hotshoe among other useable features. So far battery life is looking very good. It is not perfect, but about $125 less than the GRD II. I do wish it had a wider built-in zoom but can't have everything.

Canon PowerShot G9 Review By Ben Long | The Photoshop Blog | PhotoshopSupport.com

Like most small sensor cameras - noise can be an issue but cleans-up nicely and shoots great black and white.

It is all fun. Terry.

Me too am starting to think of a little carry-always... I don't feel M8 as bulkier/heavier than M4, but I was well accustomed to my delicious Rollei 35 as "carry always"; fact is that I seem small digitals (or P & S, if one likes...) go out with new models any month or so... and I prefer for the moment, to wait and increase my digital workflow practice; if I should decide for a P & S I would require :

- RAW - 6-7 MP minimum)

- Really compact even at the cost of a modest zoom factor

- SD card

- 28 equiv. WA (would prefer a 28-85 vs. a 35-135)

- Macro

- Don't care of flash

Is there some item of this kind on the market ?

Except for the zoom, you just described the GRD II.

....... there is nothing on the market to really replace it ........if one has used a D1 or D2, the look of the files from the Luxies and Ricohs just are not going to cut it. ......... or the G9...............the old P&S/SLR Rangefinder situation was different as it is more than lens and film that matters now

As much as I liked the idea of the D Lux-3, I am going to give mine to my daughter. I just don't like the results I've been getting with it. Don't get me wrong, I like it, but the results aren't up to my standards. Fortunately, my daughter thinks I am wrong, so it will have a good home. I will stick with my M8 and AE mode with the CV 28, 40, or 50 Heliar, as my P&S. Or maybe even my M3 or M4-P with the 40 Summicron-C as my P&S.

I don't currently have a digital point and shoot but am considering buying a Fuji FinePix HD-3W 'Big Job'(!). Given its weatherproof qualities, I'm hoping to use it when I am on the receiving end of excessive amounts of 'Welsh Sunshine' (the rivers have been overflowing with it for the past two weeks...). I'm also hoping it will serve as an emergency back-up to my M8.

Has anyone used one of these cameras? If so, is the output quality OK, or is it well named?

I've been using a Canon PowerShot S80 as "pocket camera" since 2005. It's a little great camera (the best I know in that category) with a 28-100mm lens but no RAW format (the S70 had -I don't understand why Canon stop providing RAW format after the S70).

I got recently a GRD II which is a fantastic camera.

I keep these two cameras with me all the time

For me the concept of choosing between my 'real' camera and a little walk-around camera no longer works, actually never has worked, really. I always ended up having the wrong camera with me. Like the picture opportunity of a lifetime - and then I've only got that ridiculous little point and and shoot with me. Or lugging around that heavy SLR all day, and then nothing turns up at all.

So, it's exactly for this reason (and some others ;) ) that I went for the M8 and the excellent Leica lenses. Now I can walk around with a small and unobtrusive camera and have ultimate image quality. The Tri-Elmar I bought with this purpose in mind, does not work for me, though...

So, to answer your question: M8 + 35cron is my favourite Point and shoot.

M8 + and the tiny Elmar 35mm is the best P&S for me