An M8 users' favorite point and shoot?

hahn73

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Like others, my M8 with a 28f2.8 or an older, smaller 35 f2 is my P & S. otherwise, I have 2 favorites -

When carrying my M8, I often also take a Canon G9 for shooting subjects that don't work for the Leica lens (or lenses) that are with me.

As a stand-alone, I like the Fuji F31 (same as F30) - great in low light with ISO 400 nice and 800 possible.

But am still searching for the magic P&S.

Steve:)

To those who managed to stay on topic, thank you for your responses. .

Everyone stayed on Topic. Sorry you didn't get the response you were looking for. If you had asked for a camera choice for taking on risky kayaking trips, or perhaps a trip over Niagara Falls, it would have garnered a response on cheap $200 compacts.

I will be open and say that I bought the M8 not because of the legendary name, or quality, but because I saw it as something I could carry almost everywhere. It is half the size of the D300, and a third of the size of the D3. What I found out was that there was no replacement for the Leica quality. It is my "Point and Shoot"

Basically, there is no P&S that in my opinion can replace the image quality of an APS sized or larger sensor.

You can't find a 1/2.7 inch, or 1/1.8 inch sensor that can measure up to the quality of a larger sensor. Forgetting the quality of the lens.

The Sigma announcement of the DP1 was a bright light from my perspective because it would be the first compact camera that would have a large sensor. Well, it's about 18 months later, and Sigma still has yet to release it. Perhaps at PMA they will re-announce it, and have a delivery date that is achieved. Then, I would like to consider that as a good compact digital.

Want some quality and still not worry about the value of the camera. Look to a Nikon D40. At under $500 with a lens you can consider it about as disposable as possible, while still maintaining quality.

DBK

Here are two "point and shoot"s one bigger than the M8 and one smaller.

In fact I use both to just shoot away and see what happens. The M8 encourages a little more contemplative style. I'll also see if I can upload the picture here, but if you follow the link, there is an interesting thread.

scott

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The M8 is in my bag every day, but I don't always have my bag with me. The GRD2 is always in my coat pocket. Or even if I have both with me, sometimes I just want to pull out a camera and grab a quick shot and be on my way. The Ricoh is perfect for that. I like to be a little more deliberate when I shoot with the M8.

Bill

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Do any GRD users use Capture One 4 for raw?

Sorry for being off topic.

M

Yes I do, well on a GX100, which probably has a pretty similar sensor. I am using the Leica Digilux 3 Generic profile, which does not work out too badly with a little bit of tweaking. You can then save your tweaks as an automator sub profile.

For the people who take their M8 as a P&S, I am afraid I define a P&S as a camera you can fit in your shirt pocket. Over the years, I have carried a Rollei 35, Minox 35GT or a Minox 8 x 11 (C or LX). You would need a pretty big shirt pocket to carry an M8 even with a collapsible Elmar or VC 35 Pancake on it. The GX100, without the EVF on it JUST fits in most of my shirt pockets, even if it pokes out of the top a bit. There are a number of occasions when it is inappropriate or silly to carry a camera but you can get away with a small one in a shirt pocket. Yes I have a mobile phone (Palm Treo 680) but its photographic abilities are rubbish, even downloaded and enhanced. The camera in the iPhone, which I will probably get when they bring out the 3G capable version, is also disappointing in comparison to some of the Samsung or Sony Ericsson ones.

Wilson

It's evening, I've had a few drinks and a walk on the beach, so now I'll comment with my tongue "1/2 in my cheeK". It seems most posters are confusing (a)"P&S" with (b)"shirt pocketability". Now it dosen't matter what you call it, but which do you mean? My M8 with several of it's lenses are truly P&S but there is no way it is Shirt pocketable.

So is the criteria being discussed here (a) or (B)? I haven't read all the thread so I hope I haven't misinterpreted previous comments.

For me, pocketable of any description is awkward to use, even if it is easy to carry. The point of a camera is useability. It's not jewelry, it's a tool to work with. Half way either way is a compromise. Suffer the pain, get the gain. Use the best tool for what you are or may be shooting and put up with some inconvenience. Compromise anywhere and you compromise everywhere.

I have an excellent solution to all that but I won't discuss it here as it wouldn't be proper.;)

O.K., I said I've has a few drinks but I think in the morning I would still have said it all.:D

And some of us, as kindly mentioned by another poster, don't wish to bring our M8 to the beach,

Why not? I do so very regularly, in fact I live next to the beach...It never harmed the camera.

or as I experienced a couple weeks ago, a heavy snowfall during a snowshoe trip.

Most of us would just slip the M8 under our jacket and use it Great stuff for photographs, that.

Why not? I do so very regularly, in fact I live next to the beach...It never harmed the camera.

Most of us would just slip the M8 under our jacket and use it Great stuff for photographs, that.

I totally agree! What is the point of owning a camera if you're not going to use it in the places that yield great images - like beaches and snowfields?

My camera goes with me on foot, pushbike and horseback, no matter what the weather, nor how muddy, dusty or wet. It gets dirty despite my best efforts to protect it from the elements, but so far, its shrugged off whatever nature has thrown at it (including serious cold). If one day it succumbs to the rigours of the wilderness I want to be able to look at the many wonderful images its made over the years and to know it died with its boots on (no couch-potato M8s allowed in my house)!

I totally agree! What is the point of owning a camera if you're not going to use it in the places that yield great images - like beaches and snowfields?

My camera goes with me on foot, pushbike and horseback, no matter what the weather, nor how muddy, dusty or wet. It gets dirty despite my best efforts to protect it from the elements, but so far, its shrugged off whatever nature has thrown at it (including serious cold). If one day it succumbs to the rigours of the wilderness I want to be able to look at the many wonderful images its made over the years and to know it died with its boots on (no couch-potato M8s allowed in my house)!

While these days when I want to travel light it is, like others, simply the M8 plus 28 cron I carry. However, I agree about moments where I feel more comfortable with a different camera. Yes, I have taken the M8 to the beach....when going to the beach to shoot. If I am going to the beach with small children and plan to spend the day and the primary purpose is to spend time in the sun and relax, there is no way my camera (M8) or bag is sitting out in the hot sun with sand being kicked all around for those moments I have the d-lux3 or the Panasonic TZ3.

for the OP it looks like most replies are trying to offer good advice.

I am surprised that some people literally take their M8 everywhere, and I struggle to understand why.

Here are some times or events that I would not dream of lugging the M8 along for different and various reasons.

1.Going for a drink with the boys (might get drunk and forget it)

2.Skiing (might do a sommersault on the black piste and wreck it)

3.Casual dinner with friends (too intrusive)

4.Discotheque (same as nr.1 or nr.2)

5.Rock Concert (see nr1. and lens too short)

6.Business travel with short free time (not pocketable)

7.beach (sandy summicron...not good)

8.Birthday party (see nr.1)

9.Romantic evening out with wife (see nr.3 and nr.2 and possibly nr.1)

10.White water rafting (see nr.2 nr.6 and nr.7 (swapping sand for water))

For these 1-10 a GRD is good and an olympus stylus even better...especially for nr.1.

Quality is not the most important..the shot is.

cheers

andy

Here are some times or events that I would not dream of lugging the M8 along for different and various reasons.

1.Going for a drink with the boys (might get drunk and forget it)

2.Skiing (might do a sommersault on the black piste and wreck it)

3.Casual dinner with friends (too intrusive)

4.Discotheque (same as nr.1 or nr.2)

5.Rock Concert (see nr1. and lens too short)

6.Business travel with short free time (not pocketable)

7.beach (sandy summicron...not good)

8.Birthday party (see nr.1)

9.Romantic evening out with wife (see nr.3 and nr.2 and possibly nr.1)

10.White water rafting (see nr.2 nr.6 and nr.7 (swapping sand for water))

:D :D

1. I'm never THAT drunk....

2. I always take it skiing and the camera is likely to wreck me- those things are hard when pushed into your ribs...

3. Better a low light shot than a P&S with flash and preflash....

4. I agree -the shutter is too loud

5. See 4

6. What better way to impress foreign business partners? Especially in the Sauna, no camera is pocketable there....

7. Hmmm... I must be doing something wrong here, I do that daily.

8. Well, Leica even put that on their website....

9. See 3. I guess Patricia and I have been together too long...

10. When oh when. Leica used to have an underwater housing for the Digilux2....

:p:P

You don't have a mobile phone?

Interesting variety of opinion. Just to clarify I was being serious with my previous remark - I mean, if you really are that worried about losing/damaging an expensive camera (and even the Ricoh is expensive - certainly not a 'throwaway' item) then one of the better camera phones should suffice for times when you're not planning on taking photos.

I have been through this with film. Buy something smaller to carry at all times - I have a lllf and 5cm Elmar which is a lovely compact package but I didn't want to put it through the mill everyday, and I'd really hate to lose it as it has sentimental value now. Also I like a wider lens for general purpose use.

A Minox (great camera but bit fiddly, guesstimate focus etc), bought a D1 (great camera again - in the right circumstances, sometimes used it but really wish I'd had film with me instead).

I ended up buying an M2 and 35 VC as my carry everywhere camera (don't need to carry a meter). Yes there are times when I might not want to carry it, such as today, and maybe a newer smaller digicam would be useful, but again, I know I'd get shots and then just wish I'd taken the M instead. With the phone cam, I can get a record, which is better than nothing, and I can be annoyed with myself for not having bothered taking a proper camera with me.

I would suggest getting a good insurance policy and using your M8 exclusively, or buy a Minox ML, Rollei or similar - a small quality 35mm is definately still way ahead of any pocket digicam.

Aside from small size, P/S or small sensor cameras can do something M8s can't, shoot with ridiculously large dof. This is the factor, to me, that makes them really point and shoots. Prefocused, the Ricohs have minimal shutter lag. Focused at 6 feet, most everything is in focus. You literally, just point and shoot. The large dof is also great for macro.

Obviously, large dof is appropriate for some shots and styles, but not others. Small sensor cameras can't compete with M8s at the small dof end. But, beat M8s hands down at the large dof end.

For certain types of shooting, I find the Ricoh more spontaneous, more fun, and give better results. For others, it doesn't come close to the M8. Of course, there are MF cameras that beat the pants off M8s for IQ.

If I could only have one camera, it'd probably be the M8, but I'd sure miss my SLR and Ricoh.

Best,

Mitchell