Where has the smoke of battle gone?

jaapv

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I sit at my keyboard - puzzled. No more Sudden Death threads, no Green Bands, no Dead Pixel Rows, no IR filter trolling, no Shutter Noise threads.... Where has it all gone?

Has life really returned to normal? :D:confused::p

It is strangely quiet on the forum ... is it the calm before the storm, or has everyone got bored with chatting and gone out to take pictures?

Really... no band, no deaths... even the AWB took a breath... but do not forget the backfocus issues ... on NEW lenses too...:o

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Summarit 75 wide open... but I suspect a fault on my side for I couldn't look well straight on the VF owing to tripod uncomfortable position... a simpler hand-held test I made was satisfactory... I wait for my to-arrive Megaperls eye to repeat...;)

I think that a lot of people are just getting on with either making money with the camera or in my case enjoying using it.I have always thought that a high % of the people who brought up what are valid issues to many people did not even own an M8.Their are a lot of people who would have never even noticed many of the issues and continued to produce great pictures.I would be curious to know how many M8 owners have never even upgraded firmware and are probably unaware of any changes.Not all owners use the forum!

BrianP

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I must admit that the rather large flow of people complaining about their M8 (most of them with a good reason - I also had two M8 bricks) stopped me from coming to this forum as often as I used to. I felt it took away some of the fun I have when using the M8. To a point it made me feel uncomfortable using the camera. As a matter of fact, I've been in doubt about selling all my Leica gear. I didn't want to be in a state of panic when my camera stops working every time a battery runs empty, just to find it works perfectly when a new battery is inserted.

I finally (and it took almost a year) have all my IR filters. Apple Aperture now recognizes my M8 files so i have all my images back in one workflow together with my Canon files.

I haven't been using the M8 as much as I could have, but recently i have picked it it up again to find it's so much fun to use. And that's why I bought it in the first place.

Hans

Everyone is all too sensitive and defensive about the whole thing Jaap.

And no one has even started on whether the camera is up to scratch once it is all working as it should.

I think people will start shitting bricks when warranty expiry nears.

Threads in forum on Demo market indicate that camera isnt clean.

Second hand market I think would be frightening.

At times the whole fiasco must get stressful for dealers and distributers.

I must admit that the rather large flow of people complaining about their M8 (most of them with a good reason - I also had two M8 bricks) stopped me from coming to this forum as often as I used to. I felt it took away some of the fun I have when using the M8. To a point it made me feel uncomfortable using the camera. As a matter of fact, I've been in doubt about selling all my Leica gear. I didn't want to be in a state of panic when my camera stops working every time a battery runs empty, just to find it works perfectly when a new battery is inserted.

I finally (and it took almost a year) have all my IR filters. Apple Aperture now recognizes my M8 files so i have all my images back in one workflow together with my Canon files.

I haven't been using the M8 as much as I could have, but recently i have picked it it up again to find it's so much fun to use. And that's why I bought it in the first place.

Hans

Zien we je in Rotterdam, Hans?

Hah! Thank you Luigi, I was beginning to feel lost..But then you went and spoilt it by admitting to possible user error. You should have gone into a rant:p :D;)

...was a rainy cold Sunday... I thought "right moment to try that famous focus test chart..." but I didn't realize before looking at DNGs that one has to put much attention not only to RF alignment , but also to the way one looks into ... and with the 75 I remember well I silly stood a little aside of the camera on tripod.. with my (glass - wearing...) eye not so well in line with the RF... a stupid position. I thought too late that I had done better to repeat it...of course, when you have 4 women at home in a rainy cold sunday... you cannot take ALL the time you'd like... :p

With a pair of venerable Elmars , having a different tripod position I worked in more decent way... here are the results... first an Elmar 50 SM Red Scale, then a collapsible 90, both wide open (or, to be precise, with the 50 at f4)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

BTW, the sharpness of the Elmar 50, for me, is simply astonishing : distance was 2 meters about, the above crop is 122%, and the pic was simply un post-processed at all : DNG in LR, saved as PS, then saved JPG for post.

Hello Jaap,

Age creeps up on us all! Going by all the threads on needing dioptres and magnification devices we're all getting too blind to see the banding problems, and probably going deaf so don't hear the shutter too well. Ho hum...

Best wishes,

Graeme

So when you fell two metres and your camera tumbled ten down a slope I think you said?

I was carrying the camera in my hand then:( It came back from Solms like new though, and has one of Luigi's straps now too :)

FW update is what I wait for.

The one that resolves: green blob, pixel blooming on bright sources (you know that when sun turns into a fat line...), grey screen occasional (loses files), some menu jumping, maybe SDHC support, shorter wakeup time, better battery power managment...

And of course, the AF issue in continuos mode on hot days...

All in all, this cannot go on like this!:D

I have 2 somewhat none functioning M8's. Chrome one only turns on, NOW, with a push of the shutter button and the black has a very bad, IMHO, rangefinder.

Black has been back to NJ once already with no real solution to the problem and the chrome won't leave my hands until the black one is completely fixed. It's going to DAG next to see what he can do with it and hopefully give me a letter that I can send, or TAKE WITH ME, when I send/drop the camera off ONE MORE TIME to NJ (That is IF DAG can't fix the problems).

Why even bother posting about it.

The only thing I know for sure is that for many years to come Leica USA or Solms will be fixing my M8's FREE of CHARGE, Dam the warranty on this BUGGY camera.

With all that above you will not take my M8's away form me.

I have 2 somewhat none functioning M8's. Chrome one only turns on, NOW, with a push of the shutter button and the black has a very bad, IMHO, rangefinder.

Black has been back to NJ once already with no real solution to the problem and the chrome won't leave my hands until the black one is completely fixed. It's going to DAG next to see what he can do with it and hopefully give me a letter that I can send, or TAKE WITH ME, when I send/drop the camera off ONE MORE TIME to NJ (That is IF DAG can't fix the problems).

Why even bother posting about it.

The only thing I know for sure is that for many years to come Leica USA or Solms will be fixing my M8's FREE of CHARGE, Dam the warranty on this BUGGY camera.

With all that above you will not take my M8's away form me.

Ed, I managed to replicate the switch problem on my camera. If I replace the battery with the camera switched on, it will behave in exactly that way for three times, and then revert to normal. I can do that every time. What this means in terms of locating the problem, someone more knowlegable than me must say.