Where has the smoke of battle gone?

jaapv

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I sit at my keyboard - puzzled. No more Sudden Death threads, no Green Bands, no Dead Pixel Rows, no IR filter trolling, no Shutter Noise threads.... Where has it all gone?

Has life really returned to normal? :D:confused::p

I guess one of three things has happened to the M8 users over time:

1.Those that did not experience problems are using it for taking photographs or fondling as intended.

2.Those that did have problems and are now fixed , are using it for taking photographs or fondling.

3.Those that still have problems are selling it, or have resigned themselves to the fact that the camera is not able to deliver what they wanted and are using other equipment mainly, and only take it out when the desire arises or for a specifi shoot.

There is surely a 4th but I can't think of it at the moment.

I am floating between 2 and 3.

just my thoughts

andy

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No more Sudden Death threads, no Green Bands, no Dead Pixel Rows, no IR filter trolling, no Shutter Noise threads...
.... sounds like a Dance Band session or the birds have stopped singing

My camera is working too well, so I've been out shooting instead of posting.

Larry

Ditto - Images from Sunday:

Steve'

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Guest tummydoc
I sit at my keyboard - puzzled. No more Sudden Death threads, no Green Bands, no Dead Pixel Rows, no IR filter trolling, no Shutter Noise threads.... Where has it all gone?

Has life really returned to normal? :D:confused::p

Perhaps it's simply that anyone with a spot of intelligence recognises the futility of attempting to report or discuss anything remotely negative regarding the M8 on a forum of Leica devotees, lest they be ridiculed and branded as trolls? Or, perhaps anyone with a spot of intelligence recognises by now that all of the M8's issues which will ever be solved, have been solved, and the remainder will not be...at least, not by Leica. Perhaps when warranties run their course, some enterprising soul will develop a firmware hack that solves the AWB and presents a menu-accessible list of lens codes. Otherwise, as you may note, discussion has turned to pipe-dreaming of the M9.

There is nothing wrong with M8 (provided) strap.

It slips off my shoulder and it has metal connections to the carrying lugs. Luigi's straps are much better in those respects. The Leica strap, as you say, is not bad, and has been supplied like this for many years. Still I wish they would have incorporated more of the Digilux2 strap, which is more comfortable. That they do not supply starps of Luigi's quality is logical, they are not cheap.

It slips off my shoulder and it has metal connections to the carrying lugs. Luigi's straps are much better in those respects. The Leica strap, as you say, is not bad, and has been supplied like this for many years. Still I wish they would have incorporated more of the Digilux2 strap, which is more comfortable. That they do not supply starps of Luigi's quality is logical, they are not cheap.

I use the Upstrap with my M8. UPstrap Professional Non Slip Camera Straps

Not as stylish as a leather strap (which I never liked because they can't be adjusted for length), somewhat overpriced, but it really does stay on your shoulder with absolutely no "shrugging". For carrying around $8K worth of camera this is the best investment I've ever made. Feels very very secure.

Not as stylish as a leather strap (which I never liked because they can't be adjusted for length), somewhat overpriced...

I've got the Luigi's deluxe strap, it's made up of leather and it can be adjusted too.

best

Maurizio

Not as stylish as a leather strap (which I never liked because they can't be adjusted for length), somewhat overpriced, but it really does stay on your shoulder with absolutely no "shrugging". For carrying around $8K worth of camera this is the best investment I've ever made. Feels very very secure.

Hmm- mine can be adjusted. I could even choose on one side or two sides. And the length of the strap. Anyway I particularly like the way it connects to the camera.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

{snipped}Or, perhaps anyone with a spot of intelligence recognises by now that all of the M8's issues which will ever be solved, have been solved, and the remainder will not be...at least, not by Leica.

Well, maybe I have more than "a spot of intelligence", or maybe less, but I still believe Leica will fix, or try to fix, a couple of outstanding problems with the M8, notably the green streak artifact, which is really quite unacceptable. I also think you will see an AWB fix for the M8 from Leica, though I don't particularly care about that, personally.

Perhaps when warranties run their course, some enterprising soul will develop a firmware hack that solves the AWB and presents a menu-accessible list of lens codes. Otherwise, as you may note, discussion has turned to pipe-dreaming of the M9.

Now that my pipe is lit and I'm in my cups.... ah yes.. the M9. No IR filters, full frame and ISO 20000. Can't happen too soon :)

The M8 craze is long past. Most everyone that wanted one has one and new owners are scarcer. Sales are simmering (way) down. Some folks have already dumped their M8 kits and are moving on to the next new camera (the D3), others have placed them with their other "great" cameras (in the closet). Others have devoted their "photographic" energies toward speculating on M9s and Leica's (potentially sad) re-entry into the reflex body market.

But some of us have settled in with the camera's warts and wonders and just enjoy it for what it is. That's what I've done.

In any of the above situations the time for online hand-wringing and gall spewing is long over. Most honeymoons are long over and the M8s and their owners are either living in separation, peaceful co-existence with infrequent contact, or wedded bliss.

But the time of M8 angst is long over.