Sign in to follow this  
plasticman

M9, digital CL or R-D1 - advice please

Guest guy_mancuso

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Oh dear - my sincere apologies to those forum members who hate this sort of discussion - I really was trying to judge the general consensus from participants whom I felt would be the best informed (and therefore my choice of the M8 forum).

Such discussions can have a use imho. For instance, I have lately kept myself up-to-date with developments at Apple (as I'm vaguely interested in buying a new MacBook Pro to replace my existing model). If a forum member had asked whether the time was right to buy a new Apple laptop a week ago, I would definitely have advised them to wait for what might be happening today - something they might have missed.

In the same way, I don't want to do anything foolish when the consensus might be that new M-models are just round the corner - or even just six months away.

I didn't want to start a debate about the M8, but this wasn't either intended as a vaporware discussion.

Just as a note, my current lineup is an M7, M6TTL, Noctilux, Summilux 35, Summicron 90, Elmarit 21 and Elmar 50.

Thanks to all the constructive contributors. I guess we can call this thread closed.

To be honest Mani if you look at what leica is doing today and what there future maybe it will not come until at least Photokinia which let's face it is the place to announce new product for leica . PMA next week is more for distubitures than the consumer market so in general less is announced at these shows. Like PMA and the New York Photo show. So if we look into the crystal ball you won't see a R10 or any major announcement of a M9 , Cl or almost anything new except maybe some new lenses may come sooner. Regardless you are looking at least a year away from actually holding a new camera product in your hands. The problem is you want something now that takes M glass you know you have only two choices for that and if the M8 is not your cup of tea than obviously you need to be looking at Nikon , Canon , Olympus, Pentax , Sigma or some other brand that maybe announcing next week . Which Pentax and Sigma already made there announcements. So either you go into to bridge mode until next year and get something else or get a RD1 or M8 today to use your glass. The issue i see for you is you have to buy not only a camera from the others but also there glass and than your base price is way up the ladder to get in the door.

You are kind of painting yourself into a corner since you have the M glass the best move is the M8 or the best option. Now i do not want to get into your reasons but this is just the logical thing to do since you are sitting on some primes real estate in M glass.

I guess the real question is will the RD-1 do it for you. Good luck deciding

Thanks Guy - I was hoping you might respond earlier because you probably have more inside knowledge than the rest of us - but in any case you're saying the right things now, because I decided to 'bridge' my way over to (what I personally hope is gonna be) a full-frame M9 with the R-D1s.

We'll see if it lasts out the wait - I'm hoping for about a year-and-a-half of use with it. If it (or I) give-up then, I hope there'll be a Leica replacement waiting for me.

As I said - thanks again to all! The crystal ball gazing is almost the best part imho! When the cameras actually arrive, there's always some problem to spoil the fun...

Guest stnami

Good luck with the camera Mani, I enjoy mine,

Thanks imants!

We'll see. I really like the feel of the camera, and on the walk yesterday it was ocassionally difficult to think of the captures as digital, with the screen shut away and the repetitive stroke of the rewind lever.

But as everyone knows now, it's hard to win me over from PortraNC or PanF50. Horses for courses, I guess.

Guest guy_mancuso
Thanks Guy - I was hoping you might respond earlier because you probably have more inside knowledge than the rest of us - but in any case you're saying the right things now, because I decided to 'bridge' my way over to (what I personally hope is gonna be) a full-frame M9 with the R-D1s.

We'll see if it lasts out the wait - I'm hoping for about a year-and-a-half of use with it. If it (or I) give-up then, I hope there'll be a Leica replacement waiting for me.

As I said - thanks again to all! The crystal ball gazing is almost the best part imho! When the cameras actually arrive, there's always some problem to spoil the fun...

Your welcome. i think a lot of folks are doing somewhat the same thing. I needed a DSLR for a couple jobs and ran out and got a 5d although not very pleased with it but it gets the job done . I know it is a bridge until the R10 comes out. I was telling Jack the other day my biggest blunder i ever made with selling gear was selling my DMR at least having one still. I should have tried to have a M8 and the DMR. I love the M8 even with it's warts but the DMR would have been nice to have still in my kit. I am actually hoping for a M9 announcement at Photokinia this year , no inside info but just a feeling it will be announced with the R10 at the same time and even share the sensor and give both R and M users a option. That would be a extremely smart move on Leica's part. Fingers crossed and good luck.