if you could only have 3 lenses....

jklotz

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My three lenses would be 28mm Summicron, 28mm Summicron, and 28mm Summicron. Well, we are allowed to space them tight, aren't we?

Now, the only current focal length I do not own is 24mm. But which three lenses I would choose would depend on where I would be going. Here are the options:

Very open country (including a cruise): 135mm Elmarit, 50mm Summilux ASPH., 28mm Summicron.

Moderately open (a weekend in the country): 90mm Summicron, 50mm Summilux ASPH, 28mm Summicron.

Big city: 75mm Apo-Lanthar, 28mm Summicron, 15mm Super-Wide Heliar.

The old man from the Age of Roll Film Folders

Hmmmm,

WATE,35 LUX, Noctilux :D anyone out there who doesn't want a noctilux ?

I do have the Nocti as well, but if I were to limit myself to 3 lenses, I would definitely put the 50/1.4 asph in my basket instead of the Nocti, which is a great lens but not as versatile as the 50 Lux asph which is equally amazing as the Nocti and one of Leica's best ever (perhaps THE best). The other two lenses I mention (35/1.4 asph and 24/2.8 asph) are likewise truly amazing and some of Leica's very best lenses at the same time as they are really versatile. I do have the 75 Cron and Lux as well, but having to limit myself to only 3 lenses, the 50/1.4 asph would be versatile enough to do the same jobs as the 75 Lux and Cron. I should add that I very rarely use my 28/2.0 asph and that the Wate although very good cannot compete with the 24/2.8 asph in versatility and pictorial quality, and it has the advantage that the M8 has framelines built in for 24 mm.

28 f2.8 - regular lens, small, all around champ. Like an old 35.

15 CV - capture anything in focus, tight urban spots, flexible, small

50 f2.0 - smallish telephoto, usable for regular shots, wide open enough for good bokeh, w/ easy focus.

One more might be the 75 CV - wonderful character . But for three - these are my ticket.

Geoff

The 3 I choose have proved to be the best combination for my needs, 28 Summicron Asph medium wide, 50 Summilux Asph, far more usable and predictable than the Noctilux and my Summarex 85 1.5 for those dreamy choma induced moments.