if you could only have 3 lenses....

jklotz

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmm,

WATE,35 LUX, Noctilux :D anyone out there who doesn't want a noctilux ?

I don't...

I would hate my self paying a ton of $$ for it, and than using it only from time to time or ending up like so many current owners with all kinds of issues (focusing, back focusing, compatibility with m8 on all f. distances,...). This is a highly exotic glass, and not being a collector or fan of 50mm on 1.3 sensor, I am passing on Noctilux. Pre asph 50lux will do just fine for now.

I know, I know: bokeh, and all other stuff. Still, too mucho dinero:D

35lux asph + 50lux (asph or not it's the same to me) +CV15

If the weight it's not a problem:

Zeiss 18 + 35lux ASPH + 75lux

---------------------------

Maybe from here to next month i change my mind.:D

The only lens that will always be in my set is the 35lux asph.

I could make a whole travel only with the 35.

best

Maurizio

Didn't we go through this a while ago? There was the one-lens thread, then the two-lens thread, and finally the inevitable three-lens thread, here:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m8-forum/34327-do-i-hear-three-lenses-three.html

Of course the Summarits weren't available at the time, and they do change the landscape a little.

This is such a difficult question because there are as many answers as there are shooting styles and situations. One photographer might be happy with a relatively close grouping of focal lengths, such as 24 - 50 - 75, while another might want a broader grouping, such as 18 - 50 - 90. For city shooting a close group at the wide end might be ideal: 15 - 24 - 50 for example. But for a day at the zoo a group at the longer end would probably be a better choice: 50 - 90 - 135, or one wide-ish (24) and two long (90 and 135).

Right, so the answer is obviously to have ALL of them and take whichever three you need when you go out. I can dream, can't I? :D

I am just about to make this choice, as I have decided I am only going to take my Billingham M on the clipper sailing trip to the Windward Islands I am going on at the end of the month. I have the following to choose from 16mm fish-eye, WATE, 21 Biogon, 35 Biogon, 35 Nokton, 50 ASPH Lux, Summarit 75 (on the assumption that the replacement focuses properly), 90/2.8 Elmarit and 135/4 Tele-Elmar. The WATE is a must as a travel lens. For lots of nice crisp photos in bright sunlight at the "standard" focal length, I will go for the 35 Biogon rather than the Nokton - flare resistance apart from anything else. However for the third lens, I am changing my mind every day. The 50 although wonderful, is too close to the 35. The 135 is too long for most purposes when sailing other than the odd photo of dolphins. So it comes down to my Elmarit 90 or the unknown quantity of the 75. If the new 75 is up to snuff, I think that will be my choice. I still have a funny feeling that three lenses maximum or not the Lux will stow itself away in my suitcase.

Wilson