Skin Colors in LR

barjohn

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The following three sets of camera settings I have found produce better skin tones. Let me know how they work for you:

M8 W/Leica UV/IR

Shadow 0

Red Hue +6

Red Saturation -15

Green Hue 0

Green Saturation 0

Blue Hue 0

Blue Saturation 0

M8 Custom Skin Tone

Shadow 0

Red Hue +2

Red Saturation -60

Green Hue +18

Green Saturation +80

Blue Hue +18

Blue Saturation +8

M8 Daylight ACR 4.3.1

Shadow 0

Red Hue -1

Red Saturation -1

Green Hue +17

Green Saturation +68

Blue Hue +18

Blue Saturation +18

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here are some sample shots showing the effect of the different settings.

Shown in the following order:

1. B&W

2. No Edits

3. Leica UV/IR

4. ACR 4.3.1

5. Custom Tone

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Here are some sample shots showing the effect of the different settings.

Shown in the following order:

1. B&W

2. No Edits

3. Leica UV/IR

4. ACR 4.3.1

5. Custom Tone

Hi John,

I was tryin' to understand your settings, but i need some help if you can.

1) with the "no edits", did you set every control in auto mode or did you left the picture as LR opened the first time (i.e. pressing "default settings")

2) what do you mean for "Leica UV/IR"? where did you select this?I cannot find it

3) last (hope not to seem dumb) I can only select ACR 3.6 and not ACR 4.3.1. so it made me think: are you using mac or pc?I use a mac with LR 1.3 and hope this is not the cause of these differences.

Thanks a lot

Maurizio

1. I left the settings as LR on first opening an image (Same as doing a reset).

2. I shot a Gretag Macbeth color chart in daylight with a Leica UV/IR ran it through the analyzer and used the settings it generated.

3. I modified the control file for the automatic analyzer to use ACR 4.3.1 in the analysis and the software generated the values.

Hi John,

I3) last (hope not to seem dumb) I can only select ACR 3.6 and not ACR 4.3.1. so it made me think: are you using mac or pc?I use a mac with LR 1.3 and hope this is not the cause of these differences.

Thanks a lot

Maurizio

What you are looking at is the camera profile. ACR has had support for the Leica M8 since ACR 3.6 and even though you have PS CS3 with ACR 4.3.1 it is still using the original camera profile from ACR 3.6. Adobe has not felt the need to update the camera profile for the M8 since ACR 3.6.

If you opened a NEF file from a D3 or D300 that camera profile would read whatever version of ACR those cameras started being supported in, more then likely ACR 4.3.

I just opened a Nikon D200 file in ACR 4.3.1 and the camera profile reads ACR 3.3. That is the version of ACR Adobe use to add support for the D200.

Here's another LR calibration:

Shadow Tint 0

Red Hue +1

Red Saturation -2

Green Hue +9

Green Saturation +80

Blue Hue +26

Blue Saturation -63

This is a compromise calibration; versus a Macbeth test chart's RGB values, it gets the green patch nearly exactly, the skin tone patch within 5%, and red and blue patches within 10%. In HSV terms, hue is within 2,5 degrees on all the primaries and the skin tone. The rationale for this particular calibration is that skin tones and greens are the colors most likely to look "wrong"....

Sandy

I'd guess that John is referring to Thomas Fors' script, or something very much like it. The Fors script and it's instructions live here:

Home

Something to be aware of is that, last time I looked at it anyway, the Fors script only analyzes the Red, Green and Blue patches, so might need tweaking for skin tones.....

Sandy

Thanks Sandy

I have run both the Thomas Fors script and Rags Gardner's variant, preferring the results from the latter. However I found both of them to be some way from producing accurate colour. This defies logic when the colour ought to be measurable and thus reproducable.

I ran them for DNG files taken in different lighting conditions and found the settings varied hugely. both between the two different scripts and in relation to how each varied in the different lighting conditions. I published my findings in a new thread Here.

Thus I was hoping that there was another tool to help tame the Adobe colour engine. I currently think that it is fundamentally flawed by offering a single correction for Hue and Saturation in each channel, whereas an ICC profile offers so much more finesse - perhaps why I am favouring use of Capture One at present having expended many hours trying to learn how solve this issue of inaccurate and undesirable colour from ACR and Lightroom.

This morning, I looked at the KammaGamma M8 colour feature which gave a link for the co-ordinates for a Gamma correction curve in ACR, but colours were still not ideal.

The quest continues!

However, I am keen to learn and always readily admit mistakes!

I'm actually half way through comparing calibration using LR, Aperture and C1 V4. A "quiet time over the Christmas break" task I set myself, given that I currently have all three installed.

By may way of looking at things, there are really two issues with calibration in LR - the first is the way the color space and adjustments to it, are defined. Thomas Knoll is undoubtedly a genius, but the way the Adobe products deal with color spaces is just counter-intuitive to me. The second problem is the one you refer to - to calibrate from any color to any color, you need nine numbers, and Adobe calibration only gives you six..............

Once I've finished my comparison, I should probably write it up in some form....

Sandy

Sandy,

Here is the same photo using your settings.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Glad it isn't just me then that thinks something is awry Sandy. Certainly would be interested to see your findings as and when they might be available. Cannot understand why people who are more prominent and better informed/qualified than myself aren't picking up on these issues. I see images on the web with what are to me blatent ACR/LR colours - poor greens and overcooked reds and wonder if the photographers/viewers are now accustomed to seeing this palette.

Thanks John

That is the same version which I used for my DNG files yet produced such vastly different settings.

Well, I just finished going through the same process with Aperture. Well, not exactly the same process - Aperture doesn't support camera profiles as such, but you can get the same effect from adjustment presets. The difference is that Aperture allows three setting per color (Hue, Saturation, Luminosity) vs LR's two. As a result, its possible to absolutely nail the three primaries (within 1 degree and 1% everywhere). The settings are

Red H: 16

Red S: -28

Red L: -43

Green H: 3

Green S: 54

Green L: -64

Blue H: 21

Blue S: -5

Blue L: 18

These settings are pretty far from defaults, but give skin tones essentially bang on (H within a degree, S within 1%, L within 1,5%), so should be pretty robust. Visually, looking at some images with actual people in them, they don't have "red skin" syndrome...

Best of all, Aperture is a LOT easier to set than LR; the controls actually make sense, and you can relate Loupe readings to slider settings easily......

Looks like Aperture is going to win this particular comparison hands down. Although I haven't spent much time with C1 V4 yet.

Sandy