Skin Colors in LR

barjohn

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Although I have LR I don't use it to often and I use ACR all the time. In ACR 4.2x and up there is 3 adjustments, Hue, Sat & Lum. and the same should be true for LR 1.3.1.

No - I have LR 1.3.1. Unless there's some sneaky way of unlocking Luminance, it doesn't have it......at least for the M8

Sandy

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes you are right. I was/am thinking about the HSL/Color/Grayscale panel.

Couldn't you adjust luminosity there and save it as a Preset?

Yes, you probably could. I haven't done so so far, because I set out to explore camera calibration. But actually, adjusting in the HSL/Color/Grayscale panel is no different what I'm doing in Aperture. And when I started this I thought I was going to do something simple.....

Sandy

Guest WPalank
No - I have LR 1.3.1. Unless there's some sneaky way of unlocking Luminance, it doesn't have it......at least for the M8

Sandy,

Just click on the HSL button, then you get 4 separate buttons, "Hue, Saturation, Luminance and ALL". Then click on Luminance.

Yes, you probably could. I haven't done so so far, because I set out to explore camera calibration. But actually, adjusting in the HSL/Color/Grayscale panel is no different what I'm doing in Aperture. And when I started this I thought I was going to do something simple.....

Sandy

And isn't always like that.

Here is using the HSL presets that Sandy posted.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Here is another set of photos,the first uses my M8 custom preset and the second uses Sandy's. The lipstick color is wrong on Sandy's and right on my custom preset.

Ok, I've now put a lot more work into this, and come up with a significantly better calibration methodology - my previous attempts didn't really take the gamma of the working space into account properly. I now have two versions, one a "theoretically calibrated" version, and one a "practically calibrated" version. The difference between these two is in the brightness setting in LR - as a default, LR loads with a brightness of 50, and contrast of 25. The problem with brightness is that it's (unlike exposure and contrast) a non-linear setting, so it matters quite a bit what you set it to.

In theory, you should calibrate with brightness 0. This gives the following calibration:

Shadow Tint 7

Red Hue +3

Red Saturation +30

Green Hue +3

Green Saturation +51

Blue Hue +19

Blue Saturation 0

However, at the default brightness of 50, the previous calibration gives reds that are way out (reds are a well known Adobe problem, btw). One solution is to always back off the brightness, but that starts to "go against the grain" of LR - you start to end having to do a lot of tweaking to the exposure and contrast setting to get a good end-result

A calibration at a brightness of 50, which keeps LR happier, and lets you just import stuff is:

Shadow Tint 2

Red Hue -2

Red Saturation 37

Green Hue -18

Green Saturation +51

Blue Hue +23

Blue Saturation -15

I'll redo the Aperture HSL settings once I have time

They say nothing is wasted if you learn something new.....

Sandy

Sandy,

i hate to tell you this but those last setting produce awful colors. Here is the previous picture with your new settings followed by my custom M8 settings:

Alright, for anyone still following this saga, yet another version - this one preserves hue and saturation in the primaries, at the LR default brightness setting...........

Shadow Tint 7

Red Hue +2

Red Saturation +2

Green Hue -6

Green Saturation +38

Blue Hue +23

Blue Saturation -28

Sandy

For whatever it's worth (and probably not much if you like Lightroom / ACR) I have just finished playing with the new C1 v4 (release--NOT beta) and they really, really nailed the M8 colour there with the new UV/IR profile.

Skin tones, especially, are very good given the right WB. YMMV.

Jamie,

C4 is on my list - I've played with it briefly, but it seems that there are very few "user level" controls for color available; either you like what the supplied profiles do, or you have to go to a lot of trouble to roll your own ICC profiles. A process which is not for the faint hearted(!)

BTW, having gotten involved with this process, I'm even more impressed than ever with your profiles.....

Sandy

I agree Jamie, the C1 V4 canned profiles work well. Coupled with the other controls, it does give flexibility to produce fine images easily. The option of your 3 profiles from before gives alternatives if needed. Agree with Sandy that cannot adjust colours individually as in LR/ACR, but then the ICC profile is doing this 'under the bonnet(hood)' in a more sophisticated manner. I'd like to find a way to be able to specify the UV/IR profile as my default instead of having to specify by selecting for every image....

The ability to save presets for each of the tools/controls in C1 V4 is a huge improvement over the Beta version.

I will get around to trying these new settings Sandy, just have lots of other things on my plate at the moment. So do appreciate this effort you are expending.

Maybe I missed it but are you guys using Thomas Fors ACR Calibrate script in conjunction with the Gretag Macbeth color checker to get your settings. I have it and have had mediocre success so far but I believe it is because of the lighting I am using. I am going to try it with North natural window light and see what is up with that.

good thread so far

Woody