travelling with the m8 - how do you protect it?

Singlemalt

Advertisement (gone after registration)

After getting my m8 and summicron 35 I am now trying to figure out the best way to protect it while travelling. It seems to me the most popular case seems to be the luigi case (half or full). There doesn't seem to be a lot of alternatives that I've seen. I've got a nice little bag but no real padding - it makes me a little worried if I use it.

Anyone else use anything else?

Also my summicron is made in canada - gen IV preASPH with a plastic lens hood. I'm paranoid it will break off in transit. I presume people take it off and not keep it on all the time.

Just wanted to see what other people are using.

I'm having a lot of fun though :)

Cheers,

SM.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i put mine in a ski hat and then in either my backpack in its own pocket or in a camera bag, the hat keeps it from getting scratched and softens the blow if i bump into anything. also provides easy access and a hat if it gets cold. i don't really recommend this method for liablility reasons ;) but it works great for me.....b

Most of us have at least five cases.... I carry the complete kit in an Omnitraveller bag, which can fit into a Pelican Case, I have a collection of smaller assorted bags to fit whatever combo I want to take, of which the favorite one is a bag that came with a Sigma ring flash, when I want tolook vintage I have an old Leica Grosse Kombitasche, and usually I carry the camera with a small lens like the 28 or 50 collapsible "naked" in my coat pocket. The one bag I never use is a beautiful Billingham one....

The one bag I never use is a beautiful Billingham one....

You don't use your Billingham?!

My Billinghams are about the only bags I use any more: a regular Hadley for a two-body kit (or one body and a bushel of lenses), or a small Hadley for a one-body kit (or two bodies with just one lens each). And either of those will fit in a roomy carry-on bag for further protection when traveling.

Shouldn't let a good Billingham go to waste! :)

It is a Presstop which I used for my DSLR stuff once or twice.I bought it shortly before I decided to dump the Canons I cannot figure out how to fit rangefinders into it. Somehow the dimensions are wrong. It might come into use again once I have some DMR kit, I'm waiting for the prices to drop.

Go to Search, select advanced search and type in the word 'canoe'.

You'll pull up Dave B's beautifully sorted Pelican case. That's the way to really travel with your M8 stuff!

Personally, I use a small canvas camera bag and it goes inside my rucksack when I'm travelling for fun, and inside my battered but faithful rollalong cabin bag when I'm on business. Either way, the cameras are safe from the elements and from lustful eyes.

The last thing most of us need from Santa Claus is another camera bag. I have a theory that they purposely stop from producing the perfect bag so that we're forced to keep looking - and buying.

For me, a Lowepro D Stealth or one of the three non-backpack Lowepro Omnis to get the stuff to where I'm going. Then, a Crumpler something or other - yes, Pretty Boy - when out and about.

I don't do half cases becuase I like the grip and never used the Leica "Camera Protector". If it's just the camera tossed in a weekend bag, I use the neoprene cover (large) which does the same job as Brad's rolled up ski-hat.

The last thing most of us need from Santa Claus is another camera bag. I have a theory that they purposely stop from producing the perfect bag so that we're forced to keep looking - and buying.

For me, a Lowepro D Stealth or one of the three non-backpack Lowepro Omnis to get the stuff to where I'm going. Then, a Crumpler something or other - yes, Pretty Boy - when out and about.

I don't do half cases becuase I like the grip and never used the Leica "Camera Protector". If it's just the camera tossed in a weekend bag, I use the neoprene cover (large) which does the same job as Brad's rolled up ski-hat.

i actually have been keeping my eyes open for the neoprene job but came up with the hat as an alternative and have come to like it. no unzipping when needed in a hurry.....b

I actually keep my lenses wrapped in possum felt mittens............. one of these could be handy for others.,,,,,,probably smuggle a couple of those canon white jobs in there

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Depends on where you are going

1. Diving/water around, Dusty and in transport vehicle (Safari maybe) I take Omni and Pelikan

2. Traveling - Domki small satchel. Caries 3 lenses, Flash and travel docs

3. If only one lense just use Luigi case

4. Backpacking in dangerous country. Might put all in small ruck sack for incomspicious. Not a photo sack just plan and normal. Usually put a towel to seperate eqiup and hide

5. Sking. Issuse Loewe bum bag on front of waist. Camera only with flash

6., Cycling. Bum bag, Ruck sack or bag on front of bike but this can destablise. Usually have bag on back over wheel.

I always have the camera in Luigi case with flap to protect screen. Not on poppers. I find this protects things well.

Hope this helps

Like everyone I have a lot of bags (Domke, A&A etc). If I am just taking the camera with one lens and I want to be able to throw it into my messenger bag, I am using the Leica Neoprene case. I like it way more than I thought I would (It didn't seem expensive compared to the 28 cron I bought that day). It is fast and easy to get the camera in an out with various different lenses (I also think there are two sizes), nicely made and took me a couple of weeks to realize under the top flap there are two slots for sd cards. Finally it can squish into your pocket when not in use.

My current favourite bag which has just taken M8 M6 and 3 extra lenses + chargers etc etc to Finland was this one:

Courierware Bags

Thanks to a poster on here of course, and to a cheap dollar. Stealth and protection. I ordered an extra liner to fit more smaller leica gear.

I am tempted by this one though:

Jeff Ascough’s Blog Shootsac

Maybe after Christmas.

Seasons Greetings to all (including non Leica users) :)