travelling with the m8 - how do you protect it?

Singlemalt

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I learned that if the camera is in a bag, I don't shoot. It's just too much work to take it out for whatever reason. So, I put my extra lenses in one of the bags (got many), not a camera bag. Camera stays on my shoulder or neck or simply wrapped in my wrist. I am actually thinking about getting a wrist strap since I wrap it on wrist a lot when using.

When I know I am not going to need for a while, like on a plane, I use neopren case or extra leather around 18"x18" to wrap it and store in either in carry-on or other bags I am using. Lens, I carry in original Leical pouch.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I learned that if the camera is in a bag, I don't shoot. It's just too much work to take it out for whatever reason.

I agree with this. I use an Artisan & Artist Rina, which holds the M8 and Summicron 35 w/hood perfectly. I just toss this in whatever bag I am carrying.

Or more often I just drop the M8 with Elmar 50 collapsible or CV 35 Color Skopar P into my bag as is. I have a Marware cover on the LCD, which hasn't moved a millimeter since I put it on months ago. I'm not worried about the rest.

Here are great little neoprene bags for your lenses... (they have a larger one just right for the M8 Too)

560102 Zing Small Drawstring Pouch - Black with blue top hem (5" long/3.75"diameter)

They holds lenses perfect so they don't scratch each other and the fit perfect into the lower pocket of cargo pants ;)

Yeah, wrote about that here:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/486803-post26.html

Though, I've started using my shoulder bags a lot more.

Go to Search, select advanced search and type in the word 'canoe'.

You'll pull up Dave B's beautifully sorted Pelican case. That's the way to really travel with your M8 stuff!

Personally, I use a small canvas camera bag and it goes inside my rucksack when I'm travelling for fun, and inside my battered but faithful rollalong cabin bag when I'm on business. Either way, the cameras are safe from the elements and from lustful eyes.

Yes, this (Dave B's) solution I've adopted, somewhat. As said, "it depends" on what the trip may afford... my 1200 kit is water-tight, fits in my rucksak, holds varied combination of four lenses+body, extra cards+3 batts. Charger is smuggled in the tripod sak, or luggage. But this is a /single/ M8 body...

rgds,

Dave

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes, this (Dave B's) solution I've adopted, somewhat. As said, "it depends" on what the trip may afford... my 1200 kit is water-tight, fits in my rucksak, holds varied combination of four lenses+body, extra cards+3 batts. Charger is smuggled in the tripod sak, or luggage. But this is a /single/ M8 body...

rgds,

Dave

Could someone post the link to this? I can't seem to find it using the search function.:rolleyes:

Thanks,

Bigfeet

Guest bwcolor

I had a local leather shop make me a very simple soft leather pouch which closes at the top with Velcro. The Velcro does not extend quite to the ends of the top opening, leaving room for the camera strap to emerge from both sides. To instert the camera into the pouch, one pulls it on from the bottom while the camera is hanging around the neck, and zip the Velcro strip. To use the camera, one simply unzips the Velcro, and drops the case, which can then be easily folded and stuffed in a pants or jacket pocket. My self-designed case will accomodate Leica lenses mounted on the M7, from 24mm f2.8, 28mm f2, 35mm f2, 50mm f2, to 90mm f4 macro, all except the 90mm with hoods in normal position for shooting, and macro with the hood reversed over the lens, as designed. If you want to know more, ask me and give me your email so I can send details and answer questions. I have found that this case provides very good protection against modest bumps, scratches, dust, light rain or spray, etc. It is attractive and inconspicuous. Pete

I use the Think Tank Photo "Urban Disguise 20" bag. I love my Crumpler ___ Million Dollar Home bags (I have the Six and Seven) for my DSLR gear... But there's a HUGE patch of Velcro under the flap. Decidedly not discreet. They're also not really bad weather friendly (which doesn't matter with my weathersealed Canon gear so much) whereas the UD20 has an AW cover that's rain proof.

One other nice feature is a lack of any real visible logo aside from a tiny, discreetly colored patch. Crumpler also does this, with just their graphic logo. Neither manufacturer's bags are obviously camera bags. One reason I don't like the Domke and Safforo bags.

Very small, ridiculously well built. Without even making it sweat, can hold an Ikon/M8 w/lens, three or four more lenses, lens cleaning supplies and doo-dads and half a dozen rolls of film comfortably (or batteries and SD cards). It's still quite small in size (thus surprising how much it holds). Around $89 USD new.

L9993863.jpg L9993860.jpg

My favorite camera bag is a Timbuk2 messenger bag... Great for the street or the trail... Completely waterproof and does not look like there is a bunch of expensive camera equipment inside...

AAAAClyM5i8AAAAAAAQl_g.jpg

They have a great website where you can build your own custom colors/sizes (I have a small that is perfect for M8 & 3 lenses) Build Your Own Bag

And they are made right here in America!!! (San Francisco)... though not sure if by actual citizens...

I keep one with the belt attached and one without.

For walking around I use the belted bag. It fits a body with lens mounted and a second lens, with a neat divider. It is well padded. Carried around my neck the camera swings around and whacks children, cars and other innocents (I'm either very active or very clumsy). in the belt bag the camera is immediately available, but I can stow it and go back to being active and clumsy.

For travel I put the camera and the lens in the Lowepro bag and put it in my briefcase, where it is well protected.

In fact it is sitting on my hotel room desk as I type this:

lowepro.jpg

I use a tan Billingham M but modified like a number of others have done with a top handle. This improves the usability of the bag a fair bit. I spoke to Bea at Billingham to suggest this as a standard feature on the bag. She agreed with me that it was a good idea but said that as the design was specified by Leica, I would have to contact Leica UK and get them to OK it with Billingham. I emailed Leica UK but have heard nothing back from them for three weeks now, so I guess it is a case of "not invented here."

I am going to Japan and Vietnam for three weeks next February. I understand that it can be very humid, so I am thinking of buying a waterproof Seattle Sling bag when I am in Washington DC in two weeks. Anyone got any suggestions as to where the best place to shop for one there would be?

Wilson

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

That argument by Billingham I do not quite understand; after all, they do offer exclusive sidepouches to the M bag, that are not available through Leica.

Jaap,

It would seem that Leica UK "owns" the design of the Billingham M bag and therefore, any changes to the specification can only be made with their agreement. In the UK at least, the original M bag is only sold through Leica dealers and does come in a very useful strong cloth drawstring bag, in which I keep all my camera odds and ends - cleaning stuff, chargers, etc. The AVEA lens pouches, which come in various sizes, fit many of Billingham's bags and as you say, are available only from Billingham or their dealers and not sold by Leica dealers, who are not also Billingham ones. I don't quite understand the logic of that either.

Wilson

Could someone post the link to this? I can't seem to find it using the search function.:rolleyes:

Thanks,

Bigfeet

HTH... link to DaveB's Pelican 1200 outfit. A downside to this is the "Pinch-n-Pull" foam that will, over time loose its form... especially if you route about a lot switching lenses, etc.

rgds,

Dave

• 1 month later...