Leica 75mm Trio Comparision Lux,Cron,Summarit

Guest guy_mancuso

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I think if testing was done on a film M, you might see more difference right out at the edges, when the lens is full open. I have just been reading the Leica brochure on the Summarits and they come right out and say that the edge performance on film M's will be somewhat compromised below f5.6. They go on to say that the performance compromises are next to undetectable on the small imaging size of the M8.

Wilson

Yes, it's interesting they make the comment on all four lenses; seems clear the Summarits are Leica's crop-factor lenses, optimised for the smaller frame while remaining fully usable on full frame, if not to quite the same standard. For the value price and recognising all lens designs are compromises, it's a good approach.

Those of us sinking thousands into the faster lenses are paying both for the extra speed and the ability - unused on the M8 - to keep those full-frame image corners together. At some point in the future, that extra investment may prove to have been worth it. For now, the Summarits seem an excellent choice.

What I really like about the 75 and 90 is the form factor and size, as well as the somewhat shorter focus thread.

MY 75lux is a little on the stiffer side when focusing, and this kind of slows one down.

I allways prefered the 90Elmarit vs the 90cron because of its size factor.

Plus personally I avoid f-stops smaller f2.8 as long as I can to give me some DOF to compensate, if I dont nail the focus. (except for subjects where I really want to use the shallow DOF as a part of the "composition" or in those case, when there is not much light)

What I would be really interested is a comparison between the Elmarit and the Summarit.

And I really wonder how mcuh worse the Summarits would be on full frame.

Guy-do you have allready hoods for the Summarits? Which did you choose?

Cheers, Tom

I would also be interested to know what the hood is like on the 75 Summarit. For example can it reverse to make the lens smaller when in a bag, like the one on my Tele-Elmarit 135 does. Do you need and/or get a different lens cap when using the hood? I assume from the picture on the brochure that a new cap is supplied with the hood.

Wilson

I would also be interested to know what the hood is like on the 75 Summarit. For example can it reverse to make the lens smaller when in a bag, like the one on my Tele-Elmarit 135 does. Do you need and/or get a different lens cap when using the hood? I assume from the picture on the brochure that a new cap is supplied with the hood.

Wilson

I think its big and screwed in so I would assume you have to leave it on the lens all the time. I was wondering if I would not rather get some 3rd party rubber hood or smaller metal hood instead. Any opinions?

Cheers, Tom

Guest guy_mancuso

I don't have a hood yet but you unscrew a ring on the lens that protects the threads or if you don't want a hood. Than you screw the hood on the threads are on the inside of the hood which makes a clean look to it. Than they give you a new cap for the hood with the purchase of the hood which is around 80 dollars. I'm trying to buy one but there hard to get right now. For the moment though i bought a cheap metel screw in 46mm hood on e-bay for 9 dollars. So you can always go for the cheapies on e-bay which i use also for my 28 cron and 21mm.

As far as the corners on the Summarit there right there , now how much further to full frame will it hold up i think they would do pretty good.

Lets take a look at 2.5 shot full image than crops at very tops both left and right and it does look pretty good for 2.5

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Guest guy_mancuso

Now just for kicks here is f4 ,now there is no sharpening either

Guest guy_mancuso

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Take it one step further I sharpened the F4 crop

Guest guy_mancuso

It does and without testing it is hard but from what I have seen from them i have to lean they will do a nice job on FF. Were this will count more than anything is the wide lenses so that maybe a non issue since we only have a 35mm. Still I would love for someone to try it

As is often the case, I agree with Jaap. The lux is the one I like the best. The OOF rendering is the smoothest at all apertures, and the in focus has a wonderfully subtle tonal gradation. I have both the lux and cron, and if I had to let one go, it's the cron. Meanwhile, Leica has come up with a superb alternative in the summarit. best....Peter

I'd bet for NOT a FF "M9" at least in the next 3 years....

I would agree. There is the R10 for later this year - maybe and then at least a year sorting out its problems and warranty claims ;-}}

I would be surprised if they can pack in a full size sensor in a body the same size as the M8 and I would not want to go any bigger. I am not too happy carrying around my M8 with the Frankenfinder on it. With improved APS C sensors, we might look for a 13/14 MP APS-C or they might go for an APS-H wide sensor format. As extra wide lenses improve and become more available, it might be easier and more sensible to stick with the APS format sensor on the M series and reserve the full frame for the R series.

Wilson